A dark Africa lays ahead.....load shedding

Mojoman

The Unions won't allow it to happen.They also won't allow retrenchments.

yep...unions just mess everything up....time Cyril grew a pair and boots out all the unemployable at Eskom before it's too late....if it's not already....we can't be held to ransom by people who have no clue about anything.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SA needs cheap and reliable electricity, lots of it, to allow for industrialization. Without that our manufacturing sector cannot expand and create jobs. Simple as that. Escom cannot supply that because of stupid decisions taken between 10 and 20 years ago. A new approach is needed. But what?

the past 10 to 20 years WAS the new approach. It was new in that it almost entirely eschewed basic business practices for the sake of political expediency and personal profits. Case in point: since early 1990s IIRC, Eskom knew we'd run out of generating capacity relative to national growth forecast, by around 2010. We got there a bit earlier in 2008. What was done prior to that? sweetfokkol. Ever since, Eskom's installed capacity has been forced to play rope-a-dope with actual demand, eventually sinking to the level of DSM (demand side management), which in my view, was the moment it became clear Eskom entered the utility death spiral: higher tariffs, but reduced consumption base. fantastic business model!

The 'old' way of premising new generation capacity on national growth outlook is still a sound basis, as it is in turn the basis for determining future earnings for the purposes of obtaining credit.

What should be new, is what form that generating capacity will be, and I'm all for renewables supported by nuclear and residual coal.

Edited by Capricorn

yep...unions just mess everything up....time Cyril grew a pair and boots out all the unemployable at Eskom before it's too late....if it's not already....we can't be held to ransom by people who have no clue about anything.

Maybe after the elections in May but for now he is still kissing too many peoples a$$e$ to keep the presidency..........

BTW, my comment on business rescue was to have the utility run more as a business for accountability.

They should sell SAA too, but that's a whole differ topic altogether......

Time for candle light dinners and braai time then

The Mrs and I did that in December. I braai'd when needed to, and we had candle light dinners when the power was out at dinner time. It was quite lekker. The prices of some generators though (in case the load shedding situation gets worse), are interesting.

Been pricing some ups systems to power the fridge and the fishtank. Lets just say, i can buy lots of fish for a few thousand rands. Probably should look at cost for a decent suitable pure sine invertor.

My lights are pretty much  sorted. Just been dragging my feet regarding a solar panel to charge the batteries.

Well, no - that's the point. They can't, yet they do. To the top brass, at least. 

Yeah, top tier at least and  alot!

We were off for 6hrs yesterday and 5hrs today.. I am not amused.

Would it be wrong to ask how you get turned back on ?

I cant find the hat, coat or keys ... its all dark.

What fish do you have?

I'm also looking for a UPS system

Been pricing some ups systems to power the fridge and the fishtank. Lets just say, i can buy lots of fish for a few thousand rands. Probably should look at cost for a decent suitable pure sine invertor.

My lights are pretty much  sorted. Just been dragging my feet regarding a solar panel to charge the batteries.

the past 10 to 20 years WAS the new approach. It was new in that it almost entirely eschewed basic business practices for the sake of political expediency and personal profits. Case in point: since early 1990s IIRC, Eskom knew we'd run out of generating capacity relative to national growth forecast, by around 2010. We got there a bit earlier in 2008. What was done prior to that? sweetfokkol. Ever since, Eskom's installed capacity has been forced to play rope-a-dope with actual demand, eventually sinking to the level of DSM (demand side management), which in my view, was the moment it became clear Eskom entered the utility death spiral: higher tariffs, but reduced consumption base. fantastic business model!

The 'old' way of premising new generation capacity on national growth outlook is still a sound basis, as it is in turn the basis for determining future earnings for the purposes of obtaining credit.

What should be new, is what form that generating capacity will be, and I'm all for renewables supported by nuclear and residual coal.

oh agreed but do you (and some other Cape clown) remember slagging me off when I said Eskom was useless (to be polite)?  I think you said they had lots of great engineers and good people.  Where are they?

What fish do you have?

I'm also looking for a UPS system

generally the UPS's ones gets are meant for short runs, like 10-15 mins. The critical thing with Lead Acid batteries is that you really don't want to discharge them too deeply too often.

So an Inverter with external batteries is a better idea for standby power - so you can add more if needed. You start off by calculating ur load and work out the size batteries you need from the run time factoring in that you don't want to discharge more that 50% of the stored energy.