Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Don't get me wrong - I will be sympathetic if the tour is cancelled.

But what about the charities & beneficiaries of the tour - won't they lose out if the tour is cancelled? Is it fair to the people who fly in from all over the country & world to cancel if alternative routes are available. Aren't we making a negative event even more negative by cancelling?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong - I will be sympathetic if the tour is cancelled.

But what about the charities & beneficiaries of the tour - won't they lose out if the tour is cancelled? Is it fair to the people who fly in from all over the country & world to cancel if alternative routes are available. Aren't we making a negative event even more negative by cancelling?

+1, despite my understanding them cancelling and feeling the vibe is gone from the event, I have to agree with you Skub's.

And as Mr Logic blackbeard has said - chances are high there is a backup plan for this contingency. It is just a case of which one to execute. Besides, the positive spin would be rather to ride and show your encouragement.

HEY ! and idea ......ADDDDDMMMIIIIIINNN can we not get volunteer wildfire services cycling tops made and donate the money to them ?

I'll understand if it is cancelled, and luckily I'm not the one that have to make that decision.

But if the route is changed, it might as well be a cancellation for me. I would suggest, make it a support ride for the fire.... 

Edited by r2d2c3po

Regardless of what the decision is, I am grateful that I got to do some training rides along the western seaboard between Seapoint and Noordhoek a couple times. That really is a special place to ride along Chappies etc. I also managed a full lap at least once.

With disaster management there are many back up plans otherwise Disaster Management will not allow the race to continue (any race) . These plans are set in place long before any disaster actually happens, They definitely don't react after the fact.

There are backup plans after backup plans after backup plans.

The alternate routes have obviously been marked , I think at this point it's just which one will be used.  

all that assumes the disaster follows the event's version of a timeline. This does not appear to be one of those situations as the disaster is still unfolding. To what extent it has effected and will affect any of the planned routes is not clear.

Must say, i'm a bit disappointed with the email sent out by the organisers. I understand their job is to make money from hosting events, and this could easily be their budget defining source of income. But somehow, it ranks of a lack of selflessness: keep the entry fees, but create an opportunity for more publics. really going out of their way to support the efforts of the firefighters, but having their cake and eating it.

then again, i'm the moer-in as the aircon is vrek,and the heat of yesterday is still here in the office in all its sweat-inducing glory. horrible sitting in a soaked pants waiting for maintenance services to pull finger.

Edited by Capricorn

It does go both ways yeah,

It is actually very difficult to call when you really sit down and think about it.

It could be seen as disrespectful if the route goes on, but on the other hand it could be very uplifting to have a great well enjoyed event to continue.

The other side is will this hamper any of the rescue services and aid services that will be running in the area.

If it was to continue it should be as far away from the affected area as possible.

If I were the organisers I would postpone the race till say May.  For those that cannot accommodate that, I would carry their entry over till next year.

I think it might be a tad insensitive to have such a big cycle race around areas where there is so much devastation, and making organisation of rescue and recovery even more difficult.  It might turn non-cyclists even more against us if we are seen to be insensitive to the situation.

Postpone the Argus until August....  :wacko:

On a serious note, I agree they can cancel the race and keep the entry fees for funding but everyone who entered get entry preference for next year(Like the sani2c). We all go down to Cape Town to support the fire fighters and to drink beer!

Edited by janneman72

all that assumes the disaster follows the event's version of a timeline. This does not appear to be one of those situations as the disaster is still unfolding. To what extent it has effected and will affect any of the planned routes is not clear.

Must say, i'm a bit disappointed with the email sent out by the organisers. I understand their job is to make money from hosting events, and this could easily be their budget defining source of income. But somehow, it ranks of a lack of selflessness: keep the entry fees, but create an opportunity for more publics. really going out of their way to support the efforts of the firefighters, but having their cake and eating it.

Agreed , Hence no official report on the route change, Due to the disaster unfolding.

At this point it's unfortunately a living, breathing, temperamental, unpredictable dragon, 

Much like a woman. :w00t:  

HEY ! and idea ......ADDDDDMMMIIIIIINNN can we not get volunteer wildfire services cycling tops made and donate the money to them ?

I like this idea. I would love to ride on Sunday in a jersey like this. Sell it at the Expo and I will buy a few.

It does go both ways yeah,

It is actually very difficult to call when you really sit down and think about it.

It could be seen as disrespectful if the route goes on, but on the other hand it could be very uplifting to have a great well enjoyed event to continue.

The other side is will this hamper any of the rescue services and aid services that will be running in the area.

If it was to continue it should be as far away from the affected area as possible.

I am really failing to see the disrespect. If the planned route is unsafe or would in any way hamper the emergency services, reroute the ride if possible. If its safe, keep the route as is - we need to acknowledge what has happened and what has been done by so many to protect life, limb and property. It will not be the expected beauty, but one might have a sense of being part of something bigger. It might just be the ride that stands out for many when they recall all the rides they have done.

Cancel the race and give entrants a choice for a refund or to donate their fee to Firefighter trust or intended charity. All flights can be refunded as the airlines can go fly a kite especially SAA for how they treat their customers regarding the Dubai fee fiasco. Which ever way this tragedy is a huge loss for everyone. I agree with the sentiment that we would just be seen as insensitive if the event goes ahead. A plus for all cyclists would be a massive image boost in the eyes of general public.

I am really failing to see the disrespect. If the planned route is unsafe or would in any way hamper the emergency services, reroute the ride if possible. If its safe, keep the route as is - we need to acknowledge what has happened and what has been done by so many to protect life, limb and property. It will not be the expected beauty, but one might have a sense of being part of something bigger. It might just be the ride that stands out for many when they recall all the rides they have done.

+1 agreed....

my 2c...Let the race carry on the alternate route if the original route is not safe.The people of Cape Town have lost so much already with this fire , by canceling the race they stand to loose even more income let the cyclists and spectators still spend their money at food oultets,pubs,b&bs,hotels etc. 

Edited by RFC311