Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it would only take 291 hours to set everyone off at 30sec intervals. Sounds like a great plan.

team time trial ?

someone worked it out, if all 35000 bikes were in a line something like 50 odd km's?

it would only take 291 hours to set everyone off at 30sec intervals. Sounds like a great plan.

ja , but maybe team time trial, riders with same bikes automatically become a team, or sort them out out according to weight, age, area, brand of shoes wheels kit stem.....possibilities are endless!

my quick calculation of every bike being 1.6m = 56km line

team time trial ?

someone worked it out, if all 35000 bikes were in a line something like 50 odd km's?

The out-of-towners will not be happy.

The Capetonians can still see the mountain so they are OK and positive

The racing snakes won't be happy.

The unfit and rider doing it for the fun will be happy because he can drink beer and have a look at the mountain.

My predictions for this race:

• Sub 1 hour for the winner  :thumbup:
  • LOADS and LOADS of crashes.  :wacko:
  • Congestions at no end at water points.  :wacko:
  • Lots of drunk people riding bikes. :huh:  :w00t:

I read somewhere a cut-off at 13:00?

Should be interesting to watch.......

i wonder what the effect on seeding  this situation will have:

no effect on seeding? do they freeze last year's contribution over to next year with no penalties applying? or what?

Mention has been made that different permission is needed for a Freeway, but the M3 is a Freeway so there is nothing new or different to get or obtain.

People were mentioning N7, and that it is a Freeway, so I am saying it would have been nothing different to use the N7 than using the M3, as they are both freeways.

So what really stopped them from routing Norh?

M3 = MOTORWAY number 3. Managed by the local authorities.

N1, N2, N7 = National Highway number 1, 2 and 7. Manged by the National authorities.

Work with us Smimby, or is this just deliberate obstinance?

it's not as if the fire is a one off.. It happens yearly on various scales.. And this "precious " (sarcasm) cycle race brings in massive amounts of money into cape town that helps your communities..

So closing off one or two roads for a few hours for one, day is acceptable.. except for selfish people like you I'm angry at your ignorance..

The fire will be back next year and I hope the guy with the thatch roof is, a bit wiser

And the circle of life.. The injured animals are food for other animals that are starving.. So go ride mate..

yes the race brings lots of revenue. So does the tourism. The thousands of people who come out here every year/day to head up on the cable car or head off into the winelands. Just because its march does not mean that the only tourists in town need to ride bikes. Thats just plain ignorant.

So now I am selfish, because I disagree with the fact that AT THE LAST MINUTE, you guys propose closing other major roads?

Cant you see the fact that this race already causes chaos for a lot of people due to road closures (And dont give me some rubbish about theyve been warned - if people work weekends they work weekends, they still need the roads to get to places they need to be).

The road closure signs have been up since JANUARY. Can you imagine the absolute CHAOS and resultant negative attitude towards cyclists and cycling if 3 days befoe the even we suddenly decide to close completely different roads off?

You say im selfish, cos I dont consider the 35 000 cyclists. I say the cyclists who proposed these changes are selfish and shortsighted cos they not considering the hundreds of thousands of people who would be put out by a last minute major route change.

As for the fires being back every year - its 15 years since the last one of this magnitude. Thats a once in a generation occurence. The bloody argus will survive a once in a generation blip on the radar.

And as for the comment re the injured animals - you are saying that you would let an injured/maimed/burned animal suffer because it is FOOD FOR ANOTHER ANIMAL?? Animals that were only injured purely because some jackass threw a lit cigarrette out of his window?

The circle of life works wonders mate, until ignorant twat human beings stick their head in.

As for me being ignorant. I DARE YOU to change the 94.7 route drastically 3 days before race day. Go on. Lets see what that causes.

I hate to break it to you, but in the pantheon of global cycle races the ARGUS is minuscule.

Cape Town, on the other hand is a globally recognised tourist destination. The Telegraph travel section has awarded it top City destination for the third year in a row.

Your insight and empathy so eloquently displayed in your statements on insurance indicate that if any statements are to be dissed, it is you.

See another Argus disrespector..

Begone holier than thou capetonian

It is terrible to read the comments from both sides on this topic.  It really shows the worst of humanity.  I think both sides are right/wrong/insensitive. 

I am riding my 2nd Argus after a 9 year hiatus and am in great shape after tramendous training and dieting and was excited to get a good time and test myself on the route.  I am also flying down from Durban with my wife and kids and incurring great costs which I could have deffered to the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour for the end of the year if I knew beforehand that the race will be shortened. 

BUT I understand that this is an unplanned disaster of huge proportions and we need to be understanding and compassionate.  People have lost a lot and suffered even if they have insurance.  I think the key issue is the route is still unsafe with fires that can flare up at any point.  On the other hand I think the CTCC could have had a better back up plan for a non-penninsula route.  This is a huge tourist event for Cape Town that brings in millions of Rands and riders should be accomodated even if it causes an inconvenience for one day as people know it is once a year to hold the world largest timed cycle race which holds global appeal. 

At the end of the day the decision is made and we must be supportive of the firefighters, volunteers and those affected and enjoy the ride that is on offer.  Hopefully the CTCC learn from this as fires in the Cape during these windy dry summers is almost an annual event.  I remember 9 years ago when someone dropped a cigarette and there was a massive fire on Table Mountain that lasted for days. 

If anyone is feeling slightly miffed about the developments around the race this weekend this article just settled it for me - http://www.iol.co.za/sport/cycling/cycle-tour-think-about-the-fun-1.1827320#.VPgalPzLe3p [emoji106]

Right. So no one wins the argus then?

Maybe this article is true for riders that have done a few argus's but not for the first time riders that have travelled from round the country...

I ride further at the cradle than the argus is and am a bit peeved at spending thousands, of rands, leave from work for doing less than I do at the cradle. .

And after the argus everyone leaves.. So wheres the stuff the author is talking about?

Send me your bank account details and I will refund you.

Then grow up and see the big picture.

You'd be wasting good money