Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

I dont see any reason why Silvermine cant be opened now, any rockfalls or landslides that could have happened would have by now. 

the official reason AFAIK is that it is an area of refuge - with so much habit lost they don't want the public going and chasing animals away from one of the only areas that wasn't destroyed. it does make sense to me, as irritating as it sounds.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the official reason AFAIK is that it is an area of refuge - with so much habit lost they don't want the public going and chasing animals away from one of the only areas that wasn't destroyed. it does make sense to me, as irritating as it sounds.

Yes, but have you seen how much growth there is up there now?

I understand that reasoning, but it's just not as valid as it was a few months ago.

I understand that reasoning, but it's just not as valid as it was a few months ago.

Has any actually been allowed in to see?

I'm still waiting to hear if TokaiMTB has been able to have a look see. (maybe I missed it somewhere along the way)

I'm still waiting to hear if TokaiMTB has been able to have a look see. (maybe I missed it somewhere along the way)

I'm basing my thorough investigation on spying as I'm going along Ou Kaapse...

Allegedly tomorrow.

Although I will only believe it once it's happened.

I think just be patient.

It isn't your right to be there, so just accept that you can't and move on. When they say 'Open' then we will all rejoice and dance naked in the streets, but questioning the how's and why's won't change the fact that it is closed, it shall remain closed most likely until the end of 2016 for riders and just move on.

For someone who rode/ran up there every single day of the week, it sucks.

I have spent a gazillion dollars on extra petrol getting to Rhodes mem or the N7. It is inconvenient and to be honest I see the mountain from work and home, so it is always on my mind.

But being a whiney wet blouse about things we can't control gets us nowhere.

Keep up the good fight gentlemen who have been elected to deal with SANparks and its minions... the rest? Just respect the process and respect the fact that it is closed

I have it on good authority from a "friend" who has been up there that there is an amazing amount of new growth, lots of it being grasses and bulb / tuber type plants and smaller fynbos type things sprouting. The big plants like the proteas and trees are for the most part dead, but some are regrowing from their bases. There is almost total ground cover in place, There is also no evidence of any significant rockfalls or erosion. 

Tokai is an exception due to logging but there is IMO no ecological reason why someone cant ride on a jeeptrack around silvermine, or run / walk on an established rocky path

I'm basing my thorough investigation on spying as I'm going along Ou Kaapse...

To be honest I think is was stretch using that as an excuse anyway. There is tons of rocks around to provide cover and a few patches of vegetation as well

I think just be patient.

It isn't your right to be there, so just accept that you can't and move on. When they say 'Open' then we will all rejoice and dance naked in the streets, but questioning the how's and why's won't change the fact that it is closed, it shall remain closed most likely until the end of 2016 for riders and just move on.

For someone who rode/ran up there every single day of the week, it sucks.

I have spent a gazillion dollars on extra petrol getting to Rhodes mem or the N7. It is inconvenient and to be honest I see the mountain from work and home, so it is always on my mind.

But being a whiney wet blouse about things we can't control gets us nowhere.

Keep up the good fight gentlemen who have been elected to deal with SANparks and its minions... the rest? Just respect the process and respect the fact that it is closed

well said, sir

post-28673-0-95631600-1438773210_thumb.jpg

To be honest I think is was stretch using that as an excuse anyway. There is tons of rocks around to provide cover and a few patches of vegetation as well

I agree.

And I've said the whole time that I can't understand why the jeep track up Ou Wapad and around the peak is closed.  Makes no sense.

I agree.

And I've said the whole time that I can't understand why the jeep track up Ou Wapad and around the peak is closed.  Makes no sense.

I think it is closed because, much like the powers that be are finding out at Jonkers, the sense of entitlement is strong in this sector.

Opening up access above or below the old trail network will encourage people to 'just take a look see' which quickly turns into rogue riding, unsanctioned trails being built and ridden etc...

You will find this type of escalated entitlement is a common theme. 

So then pop a fine maker 100m beyond the gate on the Tokai side issuing R2500 fines that don't need to be paid because they can't be bothered to go to court... :whistling: 

This sounds like a case of the few ruining it for the masses, although in this case 'the few' are theoretical...  

I think it is closed because, much like the powers that be are finding out at Jonkers, the sense of entitlement is strong in this sector.

Opening up access above or below the old trail network will encourage people to 'just take a look see' which quickly turns into rogue riding, unsanctioned trails being built and ridden etc...

You will find this type of escalated entitlement is a common theme. 

Or not

Or not

What is the point of a post like this? It adds nothing of value.

If you have some information that actually shows the post you quoted was incorrect then please tell us.

I bought my house with tokai in mind, was one of the main reasons, and that was about 1 yr exactly prior to the burns.

My motivation to go for a ride now is the lowest its been since starting to cycle.

I think they will have to rebuild all the trails and jeep track around Tokai shortly after it opens.. its going to be soooooo busy.

I bought my house with tokai in mind, was one of the main reasons, and that was about 1 yr exactly prior to the burns.

My motivation to go for a ride now is the lowest its been since starting to cycle.

I think they will have to rebuild all the trails and jeep track around Tokai shortly after it opens.. its going to be soooooo busy.

I feel that, lost without the place. I'm so pathetic that on Sunday I sat and repeatedly watched a twenty second video of my youngster riding the first corner on Boulders...

Just remember though that it will return and hopefully bigger and better.