FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder I am in the funrider bunches these days only 2.6w/kg. 

I'm in a similar boat but at least I know my limitations now  :ph34r:  - the only difference being that I think I can suffer a bit more than some ......

Question: Two riders with the same FTP, say 4 W/ Kg but one weighs 100kg and the other say 66kg. Who is going to be stronger on a hilly course? Even though the theory says they have the same FTP- will the lighter rider not still be the better climber?

Edited by Groenkloof1

Tested my FTP 1st time in 1year. It actually came down a bit even though I know I am in much better shape than when I tested it 1 year back. The conditions and setup was 100% same as previous test. All done on my powerbeam IT

Any of you experience something like this?

Have you been sick lately or were you relatively well rested? I re-tested on monday after fighting bit of flu last week and i popped long before the end.

Question: Two riders with the same FTP, say 4 W/ Kg but one weighs 100kg and the other say 66kg. Who is going to be stronger on a hilly course? Even though the theory says they have the same FTP- will the lighter rider not still be the better climber?

Power to weight.....

Have you been sick lately or were you relatively well rested? I re-tested on monday after fighting bit of flu last week and i popped long before the end.

Did a race on sat and have a bit of post nasal. Maybe I should test again next week. Don't feel sick at all though

How hilly is hilly is the question?

The rugby flank should do well on rollers and climbs no longer than 4-5 mins with gradients of no more than 4-5% or less.

The skinny latté should do well on climbs longer than 5 mins with steeper gradients than 5%.

Just a few ideas.

Avg over the past 5 years sitting at 3.98w/kg on all my 20min tests. 

Avg last year was 4.2

Best 4.7 up Kowyns pass in the Clover tour.  But then you fall over and die afterwards..... :blink:

Note:  This is calculated 20min efforts and not 95%......

We've got similar estimated numbers, my Cannondale twin.  :rolleyes:

We've got similar estimated numbers, my Cannondale twin.  :rolleyes:

I'm 2 and a bit kgs over with all those choccies though

So, coming in at a bit less  :devil:

Last year November.. My FTP was 263w and i was 60kg..

Now FTP is 200 and 63kg.. :'(

There is only one number to use that is your FTP, your 60min effort / weight.

If you are using your 20min effort to calculate your power to weight ratio you just doing the same as people who cheat their golf handicaps... might make you sound good in the pub, but doesn't mean you do well out on the course.

My last 20min Test was in Jan before the races started. I was 83kgs then and FTP (60min) was 281W. - 3.4W/Kg

I should be up as at the Walkerville I averaged 260w for 3 hours.

Been on a horrible "build phase" for last 2 weeks and an even worse 2 weeks starts next week (read many many minutes in VO2 Max as well as above that!!), so when Barry "the devil" Austin sends me to Bicycle Power in 3 weeks time for my next 20min hell hole, I hope to be around 5% - 7% up from there. I am down to 78kg and will hopefully be closer to 76kg by then. Nice thing about being a fatty is that losing weight is much easier than upping power, so you can get lekker PWR/W ratio gains just by not being a greedy little piggy.

If those two figures are achieved, it will mean a 4W/Kg FTP which is my goal for Jock.

Edited by Patchelicious

I have just started my journey into training with power and it's quite an eye opener and quite painful.

But I am optimistic that it's the way to go. Early days, but work outs are shorter, but more intense and really pushing me outside of my comfort zone.

They should be same....100kg dude is pushing out 400 watts and and skinny dude is pushing out 264...so they should be the same ..no..???