Show us your KOMs on Strava

Ryno.

So yesterday I hit a local hill for a go at my PR. eye-ball popping standing sprint up hill wearing a mask. HR at full blast, legs are screaming in revolt. Taste of blood in the mouth, or was that vomit? I dunno. 

The result?

new PR by 1 second.

Distance to KOM? let's just say I am 100% off target.

I am not sure of Strava's business ethics of late pertaining to the whole route creation and Relive debacle, but I will miss it if I am unable to compare myself to myself at the very least. I am not going to be KOM hunter anytime soon, but I am my own worst competitor.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Strava but the main thing for me has been self improvement rather than comparing times with others, although that becomes more interesting the faster you are I guess. I get that Strava has to make money to provide the service but the manner in which they have gone about this is not goodwill inducing. Not to mention the timing, in the middle of a global pandemic. The first year special is R600 once off for the year. R50 pm is fine but after year 1 its R100. In contrast my Google music subscription is R50 pm and has remained the same for several years. Will Strava hike prices annually I wonder?

I am going to carry on using the free version and see whether I feel the loss of the leaderboards and if so, may take the plunge. Then again if its a choice between food and Strava, I think food will come first....

Haven't actively used strava for almost 5 years (I prefer concentrating on having fun)

But did it ever give you detailed analysis on hr, power, tss and all the over crap that draws graphs for you to predict when you'll peak or when your in a valley ect ect?

Like trainingpeaks? Cause that was definitely justified

Garmin express on my phone gives me a crap load more data than strava every has

Haven't actively used strava for almost 5 years (I prefer concentrating on having fun)

That's an odd comment. You can use strava and have fun.

But did it ever give you detailed analysis on hr, power, tss and all the over crap that draws graphs for you to predict when you'll peak or when your in a valley ect ect?

Like trainingpeaks? Cause that was definitely justified

Garmin express on my phone gives me a crap load more data than strava every has

If you are on the Premium, Summit, Subscription version, then yes it actually does most of that. If you then add Stravistix Elevate add-on (free), then you' re sorted. I gave up Today's Plan for this option as it worked out much cheaper. 

And there goes my Strava Training Log.

Yes I am a freeloader - I cannot justify R90 per month (financial strain)

If you logging distance then you can have all that info on garmin.  You can also try Runkeeper, it mainly for run but will log all other activities, cycling, walking, swimming etc https://runkeeper.com/.  Syncs with garmin and others

If you are on the Premium, Summit, Subscription version, then yes it actually does most of that. If you then add Stravistix Elevate add-on (free), then you' re sorted. I gave up Today's Plan for this option as it worked out much cheaper. 

Try our very own hubber David with his https://intervals.icu/ for all your analysis and metrics (and it's free)

Uphlll KOM's are boring.. a good dose of Androxyn, Clembuterol, Nandralone and you 3/4 of the way there ..... 

Show us your DH KOM's ... those are way more fun and impressive

For the record ... I have none up or down

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

I have two downhill, and a bunch of others.

The one downhill one required some careful planning. The road stops dead right after the segment ends. I dunno what genius created it, but it's mine for now :w00t:

Uphlll KOM's are boring.. a good dose of Androxyn, Clembuterol, Nandralone and you 3/4 of the way there .....

Uphill is hard work. Downhill is just like dunkin' dou... Oops. I see what you mean.

okay makes perfect sense for most people then 

So yesterday I hit a local hill for a go at my PR. eye-ball popping standing sprint up hill wearing a mask. HR at full blast, legs are screaming in revolt. Taste of blood in the mouth, or was that vomit? I dunno.

The result?

new PR by 1 second.

Distance to KOM? let's just say I am 100% off target.

I am not sure of Strava's business ethics of late pertaining to the whole route creation and Relive debacle, but I will miss it if I am unable to compare myself to myself at the very least. I am not going to be KOM hunter anytime soon, but I am my own worst competitor.

Those are your red blood cells popping. When you push yourself past threshold, your red blood cells are being taxed and release some heme, or iron, which is why it tastes like metal. Red blood cells can also leak into your air sacs during hard efforts.

i was also a freeloader I guess...but then i didn't use it like most people. i don't really care for the social networking part of it or the d1ck measuring bit or any of the other stuff regarding training plans etc.

I used the website dashboard like google maps to map and plan rides based on where I could see popular routes were where people are already cycling (safety in numbers?).

Thats gone behind the paywall now too. There is probably something out there that still does that for free.....but ugh