Show us your KOMs on Strava

Ryno.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my first KOM today doing 100km/h up a hill for a couple of kms and into the wind with my heart doing maybe 60bpm.

By tomorrow my KOM will be gone, but the hate mail I will hold close to my heart as a badge of honnor and cherish for as long as I live as this will be the only reminder of the atrocity towards human kind.

Got my first KOM today doing 100km/h up a hill for a couple of kms and into the wind with my heart doing maybe 60bpm.

By tomorrow my KOM will be gone, but the hate mail I will hold close to my heart as a badge of honnor and cherish for as long as I live as this will be the only reminder of the atrocity towards human kind.

I get that 99.9% of the time it's just an innocent case of "forgot to stop my Garmin when I got into the car". But why leave it on Strava just to annoy people and not just crop your ride - don't get why some people get a kick out of that?

Can you post some of the best messages? Should make for interesting reading.

So you get joy from intentionally being annoying to others. Well done. You win a troll KOM.

Isn't that the inevitable conclusion of most Strava segments on open roads? Eventually a strong rider will come along in stormy conditions and post a ridiculous time that can only be bettered if you go out riding in a worse storm.

I held the KOM on the section from D'Urbanvale entrance, down Adderley/Koeberg rd, to the T-junction with the Philadelphia road.

This stood for quite a while (almost two years) before  I got the message that my KOM was stolen, and by quite a few seconds also.

Checking the conditions for that day, quite a stiff SE was blowing, so he had help from the weather gods.

So before I can try and get "my" KOM back, I will have to get relatively fit again, and wait for a gale force SE to blow.  :whistling:

edit: This was in 2014, and I got a lot slower since then, so I think this one is forever lost to me.

Edited by Wannabe

Maybe it's just because I'm too slow to have any, but I don't really understand why people make such a big fuss about KOMs ons Strava segments.

Is it perhaps a case of caring too much about what your friends say and not enough about having the opportunity to just go ride?

Maybe it's just because I'm too slow to have any, but I don't really understand why people make such a big fuss about KOMs ons Strava segments.

Is it perhaps a case of caring too much about what your friends say and not enough about having the opportunity to just go ride?

I dont think there are people going out on every ride KOM hunting. But if the conditions are lekker and you feeling good its great! 

Some segments I have ridden over 400 times and was no where near the top till one day, tail wind green lights, was lekker. 

There are about 8 people in the South that have most of the KOM's its lekker. 

When you have a KOM, the other people in the top 10, are not your friends.

post-11806-0-71742000-1563362233_thumb.jpg

My best is the KOM hunters in cars doing 112km/h average in a 80km/h zone. 

People do not like being called out on twitter for this.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Om te meet is om te weet.

I guess in the first place you must have a few KOM's to understand what the fuss is about?

Appeals to our competitive nature & egos, gives you goals when you are training, are fun to chase, feels like an achievement especially if you had to work for it a bit. 

Some days you can "just go ride" (usually when the KOM's are too difficult to get...) and other days you can chase something, nothing wrong with either option.