Show us your KOMs on Strava

Ryno.

i was also a freeloader I guess...but then i didn't use it like most people. i don't really care for the social networking part of it or the d1ck measuring bit or any of the other stuff regarding training plans etc.

I used the website dashboard like google maps to map and plan rides based on where I could see popular routes were where people are already cycling (safety in numbers?).

Thats gone behind the paywall now too. There is probably something out there that still does that for free.....but ugh

Maybe try mapmyride?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe try mapmyride?

or garmin connect, I checked the Garmin Connect website yesterday, and it as all the features strava has, you can connect with friends, create segments etc etc...seeing that most peeps use garmin anyway, its a great alternative. 

or garmin connect, I checked the Garmin Connect website yesterday, and it as all the features strava has, you can connect with friends, create segments etc etc...seeing that most peeps use garmin anyway, its a great alternative. 

do you HAVE to use it with a garmin device though?

if so id have to buy a dedicated gps ?. Up to now my phone has been my primary cycling computer and just fine for my needs. Strava's ability to route/track even while in airport mode using the phones gps meant i could get a 5 hour ride in without worrying about the battery life.

I Have been using a Garmin device and Garmin Connect app for longer than I can remember. I Have logged many thousands of km's with it. It works perfectly for me and shows me everything I want to know. I've never been a STRAAAAAVA-Athlete and don't care for any other fitness/tracking/shlong size meter app's either. Different strokes.......just my opinion. 

have you tried importing historical data from Strava into it ?

I started GPS logging my rides from 2010 using Cyclemeter on my phone.

Late last year a mate convinced me to upload everything into Strava as I was looking for a place to have all my data. I painstakingly went through the exercise of exporting each individual workout and importing into strava.

I'd like to give final surge a try, but if I cant do a database dump straight into it I'm not about to go through 10 years of activities again.

Late last year a mate convinced me to upload everything into Strava as I was looking for a place to have all my data. I painstakingly went through the exercise of exporting each individual workout and importing into strava.

I'd like to give final surge a try, but if I cant do a database dump straight into it I'm not about to go through 10 years of activities again.

Or, just use this nice little ap, https://tapiriik.com/.  You can move all your data at once.

I distinctly recall reading that Strava has cut off about 40 000 apps connecting to it's API to pull data (which Strava thinks it's theirs, but which actually belongs to you seeing as you uploaded it). The reason is that Strava is not going to allow 3rd party integrations to do for free what they are offering behind their paywall. All these apps are going to find themselves hanging in clear air soon, and my guess is that will be the final straw breaking the Strava camel's back. I am unable to find that bit of wisdom at present, but will post here when I do.

Gotta love stereotypes ... Strava users, BMW drivers, Specialized Epic riders, Epic finishers, Rapha wearers, Try-athletes

I use Strava, not too fussed with the changes they are making. I'll be ok ...

do you HAVE to use it with a garmin device though?

if so id have to buy a dedicated gps ?. Up to now my phone has been my primary cycling computer and just fine for my needs. Strava's ability to route/track even while in airport mode using the phones gps meant i could get a 5 hour ride in without worrying about the battery life.

yeah, sorry, seems you have to use garmin device. 

maybe endomondo will make a comeback....

i started using FinalSurge as the coach I was planking to use was using the Coach function. We mutually decided to terminate the coaching agreement. All my data comes from two sources: Garmin and since lockdown started it’s been Zwift/Rouvy.

I am not aware of a data dump from one app to another for historical data, but it might exist in one app or another. However, if you start today, then you know that going forward all your data is in more than one place.

I will have a look over the weekend and let you know. I do know that TrainingPeaks has an export function. As I use WKO4, it syncs with TP, so any changes I make in TP will be updated in WKO4. By changes I mean an activity needs to be deleted (I use my Garmin for Discovery, as Zwift isn’t recognised as a valid device). As both pull into GC, it then pushes to Strava, TP, WKO4, FinalSurge, Endomondo, which is a duplicated. I lost some data in 2009 on Strava, but found it on Endomondo - so was able to keep my history mostly up to date. This is part of my weekly data maintenance schedule, so is a part of my routine and hardly notice the time.

I haven't updated a lot of my rides since lock down started, on Final Surge. Once I opened it today, I realised why I preferred using this as a source of information:

1. You can import your data, but depending on the amount of data it can take time. The syncing from Training Peaks is the better option.
  2. It has a similar layout to Training Peaks, and shows more summary detail compared to the new Strava Training Log. It also has the planned workout option and the actual workout option.

As this is a free app, I'll keep FinalSurge for the added data it can keep. Strava will be the free option too, but purely as a social tool, but it won't be my go to app for information.

post-1372-0-51181100-1590261892_thumb.png

post-1372-0-89305400-1590261650_thumb.png

3. If has a option to include pains, injuries and other related info that someone like Strava and Garmin doesn't have. I was actually looking at a week on Strava that showed 1 week where I wasn't active, so I opened it on Garmin to verify, and it was also blank for the week. I then saw a workout that said "Easing back into it", and remembered that I was slightly ill. That's what prompted me to check on Final Surge. I then discovered that I crashed (self inflicted) later that week, which brought me to the pain section of the workout.

post-1372-0-52350900-1590261859_thumb.png

4. It has a lot of summary data, but nothing more than most other free apps

post-1372-0-40281300-1590262505_thumb.png

Edit: it has a mobile app too.

Edited by Frosty

Sigh, I was on my way to a DH KOM not breaking my Cabal’s top tube looking down at my perfect length socks and almost correct gearing with my compact crankset. In the midst of it I got about 10 extra watts by shouting “STRAVAAA!” at the max speed!

All to no avail, it only shows I am 6th and nothing else! Will I go premium/summit/paid again? Sure, once my Zwift has ran out.

I am in full support of Strava changing their premium subscription rules. I would rather pay for the product than be sold as the product to advertisers and have my feed filled with crappy adverts trying to sell me stuff I don’t need. It’s one of the reasons why Strava is the only social network I participate actively in. R50pm might seem like a lot for something that you were getting for free but how much does a cappuccino on your coffee stop cost these days again?

We need to stop thinking that these services cost nothing to run. The computing power required to process Strava’s daily data would likely fill South Africa’s largest data centre. Running systems like this isn’t cheap and with the way the world is now it is a lot harder to justify running at a loss.

We need to stop thinking that these services cost nothing to run. The computing power required to process Strava’s daily data would likely fill South Africa’s largest data centre. Running systems like this isn’t cheap and with the way the world is now it is a lot harder to justify running at a loss.

snip

argument invalid. strava used amazon AWS -> then Redshift -> and now uses the Snowflake cloud services.

so its web services/cloud functions are all outsourced and they just pay monthly subscription for other people to do the real work.

...and even more

"Strava stores around 120TB of data today, including 13 trillion GPS data points, 15 million uploads per week and 1.5 billion analytics points, which allow its analytics team to spot pinch points in the app where users might not be getting the best possible experience"

120Tb?? fill SA data centres? LOL.... 

The original version of Amazon AWS was created in Cape Town ;-)

and AWS has a few data centres here. Then theres Teraco in GP...

Were talking thousands of thousands of PBs...as in Petabytes.

120tb lol...there are people with more storage on their home computers.

Edited by morneS555

I am in full support of Strava changing their premium subscription rules. I would rather pay for the product than be sold as the product to advertisers and have my feed filled with crappy adverts trying to sell me stuff I don’t need. It’s one of the reasons why Strava is the only social network I participate actively in. R50pm might seem like a lot for something that you were getting for free but how much does a cappuccino on your coffee stop cost these days again?

What you say has some merit but do you honestly think because you pay they won't sell your data as a product?

The cynic in me says besides subs that's where the real money is...

What you say has some merit but do you honestly think because you pay they won't sell your data as a product?

The cynic in me says besides subs that's where the real money is...

or just think about the type of data being collected and what the value of that data would be to a barrage of different companies. like Jack Ma says....the next generational billionaire (a Ma, Gates, Zuckerburg etc) will be come from 'big Data'

Edited by morneS555