Show us your KOMs on Strava

Ryno.

Ave Speed of over 1000 km/h you say? No commercial flight is capable of such speeds after the demise of concorde, so this bloke must be a fighter pilot then. So I cry foul on his forgetting to stop his watch.

you had me doubting what I saw.

so I dug back into it.

Looks like indoor cycling with the GPS obviously doing strange things.

Distance shows as 4 032km with and average speed of 4 399 km/h

This was on Tuesday last week, the guy looks like he is active on Strava, so why not edit the workout and correct it. 

Some people.

Edit, link to workout

https://www.strava.com/activities/4280524468

Edited by ouzo

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you had me doubting what I saw.

so I dug back into it.

Looks like indoor cycling with the GPS obviously doing strange things.

Distance shows as 4 032km with and average speed of 4 399 km/h

This was on Tuesday last week, the guy looks like he is active on Strava, so why not edit the workout and correct it. 

Some people.

Edit, link to workout

https://www.strava.com/activities/4280524468

but did he take the hour record?

I see Robbie already posted about over 1000 not being commercial. I did see once someone record a flight but the gps must have lost signal shortly after take off and only picked up again on landing and the flight was just a straight line. I can only imagine as soon as signal was lost it may have paused and then resumed again on touch down because it was only like a 30 min "ride" but from London (iicr) to Joburg. Also had a crazy average speed because it worked out the lost distance in between signal loss and it had a movement time of 30 min.

My boet pulled the same stunt on a trip to Jozi from Cape Town. He set Strava to record from take off, and he actually managed to get the whole flight recorded. It messed up his stats but he does not care about that.

Two things stand out to me; 

It looks like Strava managed to record the curvature of the earth, so flat earthers, eat my socks. And secondly, that descent profile looks like some folks needed a fresh set of under garments upon landing.

post-103677-0-30555800-1604904977_thumb.jpg

My boet pulled the same stunt on a trip to Jozi from Cape Town. He set Strava to record from take off, and he actually managed to get the whole flight recorded. It messed up his stats but he does not care about that.

Two things stand out to me; 

It looks like Strava managed to record the curvature of the earth, so flat earthers, eat my socks. And secondly, that descent profile looks like some folks needed a fresh set of under garments upon landing.

attachicon.gifStravaFlights.jpg

I see it says he used the android app for recording. I am surprised he had signal up there or is it able to offline recording? That's pretty cool though. Next time I fly I will see if my forerunner works.

I see it says he used the android app for recording. I am surprised he had signal up there or is it able to offline recording? That's pretty cool though. Next time I fly I will see if my forerunner works.

He has a polar v600 as well which I thought he may have used. I was also thrown by the android bit. I'll ask him.

• 4 months later...

Never thought I’ll be able to post in this thread, and I know it’s not a big deal for some, but it’s a very big deal for me.

post-24416-0-69769300-1616571635_thumb.jpeg

Only rode 20kms this morning, as my time was limited, and I don’t have access to my indoor trainer currently.

I had to dodge taxis driving on tue sidewalk on Peter road, which probably got my adrenaline pumping enough to be able to get a top 10. I even had to brake slightly for a car taking a corner wide....

how do you flag a suspicious KOM ? There is a particular incline near me, the other day I see some chick gets a QOM that is faster than the KOMs, I look into her ride and she mentioned getting 2 punctures, from the speed up the incline I'm assuming she was in a car.

how do you flag a suspicious KOM ? There is a particular incline near me, the other day I see some chick gets a QOM that is faster than the KOMs, I look into her ride and she mentioned getting 2 punctures, from the speed up the incline I'm assuming she was in a car.

you can report the activity from a computer, not from the mobile app.

quite often I lose KOMs to people who average 15km/h on a road ride and suddenly go 45kph on a climb... that's a classic, I stopped bothering about it... Phone GPS are so inaccurate Strava sometimes picks you up on another segment that you were never on, or people start in the middle of a segment and it still picks it up.

Edited by Jbr

Or she was on a pimped e-bike... 

Edited by Mark James

I see some of the segment times on Strava from around my local area (around Lions Head / Table Mountain), there are guys that are not 5-10% faster, but like 40-50% faster than me - Although I am fairly rubbishI know I am not that rubbish, lol ;) 

Yet when you look at their listed "gear", it only has the bike brand, not the model, so no idea of knowing whether or not they are not e-bikes (but my naive guess, is "Duh, of course they are!!")

I read recently that Strava are looking at introducing an e-bike dedicated app, which would probably change up a lot of things. The problem is that Strava segment times are like guys at a bachelors party laying out their willy's on a table to measure... You know it is silly, but you still can't help comparing... 

Mark it takes a lot more than "pimping" an ebike to to take KOM's from serious road riders.

Spez ebikes come with a 32 to 11/10 gear ratio.  Forget pushing past the 25/32 km/h assist level, you spin out soon after that.  Proper roadies are simply way faster on all but the steepest hills.  Even my 36 to 11 combination on my Giant spins out way too early even keep up with a fast group of roadies .... (these bikes were made for trail speeds ...)

An ebike that is de-restricted, and has the right gearing AND a very strong pair of legs may just manage a decent speed up a very steep hill.  Most run of the mill ebikes comes with a 250W motor, so that will hardly help all but the strongest cyclist trying to grab a KOM

Now going really wacky, getting a 1 000W ebike, derestricting it and then grabbing a KOM on that .... really feel sorry for somebody that desperate for attention.

Or she was on a pimped e-bike... 

at 75 km/h she must have a seriously pimped e-bike.

Anyway, I see someone must have flagged the ride as she no longer has QOM. However the KOM recently set there is not far off and still stands.