Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently had a bike for sale on the Hub at a very reasonable price.  After a verbal agreement with the buyer I must have received at least 5 calls from hubbers offering me more than I asked just for me to drop the first guy and sell it to them.  My point is its not just the sellers on the hub that are sometimes unethical but the potential buyers on the hub that are equally to blame.  Needless to say I kept to the original deal and although I lost out on a few extra $$, I sleep well at night.

Good old horse trading.

I guess it's fair to allow trading both ways. The ethics are kinda of questionable but if the buyer is always keen to under cut surely the seller has the right to "over cut" if he gets good offers?

Doesn't make sense that low balling is ethical but high balling is not.

Hmmm. Tough call.

dunno, my take is if we agree on a price / terms and collection the deal is done. To then try and highball is a dick move. 

Rather advertise your goods as an auction.

I recently had a bike for sale on the Hub at a very reasonable price.  After a verbal agreement with the buyer I must have received at least 5 calls from hubbers offering me more than I asked just for me to drop the first guy and sell it to them.  My point is its not just the sellers on the hub that are sometimes unethical but the potential buyers on the hub that are equally to blame.  Needless to say I kept to the original deal and although I lost out on a few extra $$, I sleep well at night.

good man....

Since when do people offer more than advertised price.?

Probably a case of good interest received in goods and now wanting to re-evaluate advertised price.

Normally those goods are removed only to reappear at inflated price.

Unfortunately anything goes in the classifieds.

You can only choose how you wish to deal with these situations.

Not if you've agreed terms. Then it's unethical. It's not an auction.

Agreed. If terms have been agreed on then it's a done deal.

Edit: Although I've had "done deals" where the guy has pitched and given me ye olde "oh look - I only have R500 less on me than we agreed on" line.

Personally - 95% of deals go through as planned with ethics/morals etc.

It's that other 5% that fark it up for everybody. Sadly it's only that 5% that make it to threads like this so people tend to get a skewed view of the classifieds.

Edited by Eldron

last week phoned to get option on a saddle, guy said I'm 2nd in line unless I offer him more..

I just said no thank you, give the first guy the option, call me if its still available afterwards

A Person's word and reputation means something to some of us at least

This is worth at least getting an additional 500 posts added to your post count...  :ph34r:

If you listed something at a price that your are comfortable with (even if its low compared to market rates), then why go through the pain of being greedy and accepting another offer and trying to lie your way out've a sticky situation.

Good man.

Not really unethical, but please explain:

"Accidental double order"

As in

Oops! I ordered the same item twice?

As in

I saw that one too.

I'm guessing - ordered from CRC via regular postal delivery and it didn't turn up for a while.  Contacted CRC and kicked up a fuss. CRC then sends replacement GX bits.  First order then turns up and shortly after second order turns up.  Sell second order to pay for first, and only CRC are out of pocket.

That's my guess anyway.

I saw that one too.

I'm guessing - ordered from CRC via regular postal delivery and it didn't turn up for a while.  Contacted CRC and kicked up a fuss. CRC then sends replacement GX bits.  First order then turns up and shortly after second order turns up.  Sell second order to pay for first, and only CRC are out of pocket.

That's my guess anyway.

Wonder if the would work on a pike.... Not that'd do that kind of thing. Ever. Much. At all.  

I had a lengthy negotiation this week on an item I was selling. We couldn't agree on a price and in the interim, I received an offer for what I was prepared to accept. Only option was to give original "purchaser" first right of refusal.

He declined and so I moved forward with the higher offer. I have sold three items on the classifieds this week, two paid prior to shipping, one shipped today, the other for collection next week. The third paid upon delivery as it was delivered in person. There were one or two jokes about incurring "Hub Wrath" and one purchaser even said don't rush to send to Postent branch as he was only collecting end of next week. 

For me, the sooner it's in transit, the better. Someone acts in good faith, the least I could do is return the favour. Hub honour is what makes the bulk of Hub transactions easy. What scares me, is that @Craig 26 above only has 10 posts and is already honourable. This is just counterintuitive   :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

As in

It has happened to me.

I placed an order and the payment appeared to have failed. So I resubmitted the transaction.

By the time I realised that it had been duplicated, both orders had been shipped.

I called them and they said not accept the one parcel which was thus returned to them and they refunded my card the moment they got it back.

No issue, no cost, no hassle.

Edited by eddy

• 1 month later...

So im in a stuggle now: i had a guy interested in something i was selling and asked if i could keep it for him for a few days. I said yes. He then came back to be amd said its not the right size stem for him. Fine, no issues.

I offered it to the second chap who showed interest. At the same time i had another chap wanting it urgently so told him he is third in line.

The second guy in line did not respond in almost two days so offered to the third chap. We exhanged details amd he said he would pay as we agreed. Then chap two came back to me saying he is still interested sobyold him in offered to chap three as i did not hear from him and we was ok with that.

Now chao three has gone quiet after two messages to him asking when he will make payment but no response. What now? Do i go back to chap two and look like a fool? Why do they do this to me?