Re Spray by Bogus Designs

Easy everyone...

let me clarify a few things.

the bike pictured is my fathers and he is happy with the work done - hence why no contact was made with Anton.

the bike is built back up and wont be stripped and shipped again. to much hassle.

i posted pictures here to show the level of work done after making a comment that i personally did not think the work was as high as standard as everyone makes it out to be.

it was this exact thread that drove to tell my father to use Anton over anyone else.

as it stands my father is happy with the bike. and is not interested in getting it fixed.

as for me, it turned me off respraying my old Look 586.

my thoughts are that if the bike was sent out, then Anton was obviously happy with his work.

and if thats his work, i personally would not use him to spray my bike.

i am not applying social pressure on Anton, and I are not looking to get anything out of this from him.

i am just showing off workmanship on a thread designed to do that.

Edited by Furbz

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

snip

#constructive criticism. I agree.

people should stop being so PC and precious imo. Have none of you had to publicly defend a thesis or body of work or something you spent 2 years+ of your life on?? it can be excruciatingly painful hearing varying opinions....it makes you grow hair on your chest and teaches you to accept criticism for what it is and that your mommy wont be there to hold your hand in the professional world. It is designed to make you tough....and ultimately better.

imo a public forum serves that purpose perfectly.

This will improve his work even further. He will be better.

Edited by morneS555

i posted pictures here to show the level of work done after making a comment that i personally did not think the work was as high as standard as everyone makes it out to be.

i am not applying social pressure on Anton, and I are not looking to get anything out of this from him.

Exactly. All your posts have been very sensible IMO. You didn't ever slag him off, you just said that it hadn't hit the incredible standards other people have made it out to be. It's a pity that some knee-jerk reactions that followed muddied the waters a bit and gave the impression you were seriously unhappy and wanted it redone. 

This platform (bikehub) has helped elevate Bogus' work to God-like status. But does that mean we are only allowed to show the flawless work? Or can we show all of it? I'd prefer the second option, it's more honest. There was no need to contact him, you were simply saying "here's the job he did for me, its only OK". 

And I mean no disrespect to Bogus. I don't ever expect people to be perfect. The thing I've learned from this thread is that his work is almost always amazing, and if the client is not happy he'd redo it. Great stuff. It's because of this forum (good and bad) that I would turn to him first if I wanted a respray. 

Well said!

Easy everyone...

let me clarify a few things.

the bike pictured is my fathers and he is happy with the work done - hence why no contact was made with Anton.

the bike is built back up and wont be stripped and shipped again. to much hassle.

it was this exact thread that drove to tell my father to use Anton over anyone else.

as it stands my father is happy with the bike. and is not interested in getting it fixed.

my thoughts are that if the bike was sent out, then Anton was obviously happy with his work.

and if thats his work, i personally would not use him to spray my bike.

Easy everyone...

Maybe consider the difference between the quality of the "spray painting" vs "decals" ....

Pin striping is art, and wont ever be as exact as stickers ... and yet many prefer the "one off look" that pin striping provides.  Personally I prefer stickers.  The fact that your dad likes it just goes to prove how we all differ in our appreciation for this type of craftmanship ....

"spray painting" has so many options though.  I will gladly respray my bikes (though I do use a different painter).  I know there is the 0,1% paint kreep under masking, I cant see it with my eyes, but it pops out when I take close up pictures of details.  The 99,9% effect is well worth it for me.  

This one project might not be the highlight of Bogus's work, but dont let this put you off from getting your "one off" bike, even it is from anther painter ....

Hmmm... my dad and i both both a little disappointed in his work on his Look 595.

so is he happy or not?

so is he happy or not?

thats too black or white. It seems he's contented i.e not ecstatic with the job delivered but not unhappy enough to strip down the bike and be without it for a few weeks. He's a LOOK rider. They prefer their bikes under them rather than away from them 

thats too black or white. It seems he's contented i.e not ecstatic with the job delivered but not unhappy enough to strip down the bike and be without it for a few weeks. He's a LOOK rider. They prefer their bikes under them rather than away from them 

Nail -> Head.

you win comment of the day!

Modifying the old saying:

Those that can, do. And those that can't, moan and bitch.

I've painted my own bikes and on my best day I can't get close to Bogus's rejects. I'm in awe of the skills and impressed by his readiness to do the right thing.

Next time I need a bike painted it won't be done by me (and hopefully I can afford to get it done right).

Edited by Lotus

This post came across my time line. As many have said, people have off days which is understandable, giving a client sub-standard work, maybe not so understandable. Anyway Jared at BMC Cape Town does incredible paint work and carbon repairs, he is a perfectionist and will not give a client sub-standard work when he has made a mistake. All paint no stickers perfection.

This post came across my time line. As many have said, people have off days which is understandable, giving a client sub-standard work, maybe not so understandable. Anyway Jared at BMC Cape Town does incredible paint work and carbon repairs, he is a perfectionist and will not give a client sub-standard work when he has made a mistake. All paint no stickers perfection.

Hello 1st time poster, is you name perhaps Jared...........