ScottCM

The water (and coke) thing is a bit over the top on road races.  It is actually possible to run without it on (I would say) up to 21Km, even in the heat. 

IMO over hydration (and waste!) is a bigger problem than dehydration. 

So yes, I agree, some runners need to take responsibility for their behavior. 

Edited by Pieter-za

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The water (and coke) thing is a bit over the top on road races. It is actually possible to run without it on (I would say) up to 21Km, even in the heat.

IMO over hydration (and waste!) is a bigger problem than dehydration.

So yes, I agree, some runners need to take responsibility for their behavior.

I've done a 21k with only taking one single sachet at about halfway, very comfortably.

Surely most people can be taught to be self-supported. As said before, you don't need that much to get through it.

Since the Wietse group runs were stopped due to Covid I realized I can comfortably do a solo 30km run on my own using only about 300 ml water with no issues. I prepared myself mentally to carry my own water once activities resumes. Only issue is that during Covid my wife realized that she also enjoys running so my only option of a second during the longer events is now gone [emoji2363]

Okay, I officially declassify myself as a camel... not that I did classify myself as one beforehand.

At which intensity do you run a half with only one sachet halfway? I usually cannot wait for the first stop! Therafter I can skip one or two, but only one sachet?!

Apparently I drink like a fish.  :whistling:

Okay, I officially declassify myself as a camel... not that I did classify myself as one beforehand.

At which intensity do you run a half with only one sachet halfway? I usually cannot wait for the first stop! Therafter I can skip one or two, but only one sachet?!

Apparently I drink like a fish.  :whistling:

Ran a 2h01, it was my first attempt at the distance. Last weekend of January in Pta a couple of years back, flat course. No GPS watch, just stopwatch and head-calcs to try and make 2hrs...didn't know the full distance would be 21.3 or something like that, else I might have made the 2hrs :)

Afterwards I obviously consumed about two cans of coke and two cups of water in the next 10 mins, but during the event itself, didn't feel a "need" to hydrate.

I have a 500ml soft flask hand held.

With that I can comfortable run a marathon. It is super comfy to run with. I forget it's there.

My usual daily trail runs of and hour and a half to 3 hours I do with about 500ml max as well.

If it's hot that will change but at a 100 miler I struggle to drink a full bottle between aid stations unless it's super hot

I have a 500ml soft flask hand held.

With that I can comfortable run a marathon. It is super comfy to run with. I forget it's there.

My usual daily trail runs of and hour and a half to 3 hours I do with about 500ml max as well.

If it's hot that will change but at a 100 miler I struggle to drink a full bottle between aid stations unless it's super hot

100% with you on this. Same for me. Lower intensity for me to train on trail. Most often when I do take a second bottle along, it's "just incase". And it gets pretty hot in the mountains around Paarl.

Point in case - I came back this morning from 1 1/2 hours in Paarl mountain with not even a third of my bottle gone. But it was not hot.

But if I "race" (haha! - all relative - but ito my perceived race effort) a road half, which I have not in a couple of years, I'd not be able to go on one sachet alone. (I'm talking roadside sachet, not soft flask. Unless I misunderstood that point)

BTW - page 999!

Edited by SeaBee

Anyone know where I can get a soft flask (500ml) with a larger opening? I know Salomon has one (but no online stores have stock that I can see).

Any other brands you know of?

I have the First Ascent ones and they are perfect except the openings are small and I want larger ones for a race I'm doing in December. I'll have to remix my powered mix at an aid station and the larger opening would make this easier.

Anyone know where I can get a soft flask (500ml) with a larger opening? I know Salomon has one (but no online stores have stock that I can see).

I have the First Ascent ones and they are perfect except the openings are small and I want larger ones for a race I'm doing in December. I'll have to remix my powered mix at an aid station and the larger opening would make this easier.

I have been looking for this as well. Also use the First Ascent ones and in a race half of my Tailwind powder ends up everywhere else except in the bottle. Have been pondering a move to a collapsible cup because of this.

100% with you on this. Same for me. Lower intensity for me to train on trail.

But if I "race" (haha! - all relative - but ito my perceived race effort) a road half, which I have not in a couple of years, I'd not be able to go on one sachet alone. (I'm talking roadside sachet, not soft flask. Unless I misunderstood that point)

BTW - page 999!

Funny that, I am exactly the other way round.

Did a long slow this weekend, and had allot to drink from the Camelbak.

Whereas in March, I pushed all-out to beat my 10k PB in a race. Drinking water would have just slowed me down(in my mind). So went without a sip at all until after the finish line.

We are all a bit different it seems, thankfully so. ;)

https://thesavage.biz/collections/ultraspire-all/products/ultraspire-ultraflask-550

Otherwise the OEM Ultimate Direction soft flasks also have larger openings

I drink when I feel like it. On a road race I tend to drink smaller amounts but more often. Trail I tend to drink larger amounts less often, like on flats after a beast of a climb.

The nature of road running means nothing is that steep but it's consistent, but trail is steep but inconsistent. My drinking tends to follow suit

My running vest takes 'normal' bidons/hard bottles. The swishing doesn't bother me at all.

Soft flasks are a pain to clean, more difficult to refill and don't shake/mix well. They are also expensive.

In a long run I will take a 650ml alu flask in one pocket so I can make tea at aid stations. I love tea while out on the trail

Not sure if they're available in SA (and I haven't got one myself) but it seems HydraPak have a larger opening.