ScottCM

30 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

must be some doing 2Oceans neeext weekend (not on easter for first time ever)

I got a surprise entry for half an oceans a while ago. Not being on Easter suited me so I grabbed it. Will be my first, and my only goal is to have fan, and be faster than my wife's pb of 2:04

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been clocking 60-70km for the last month as well as managing to cycle and get 2 swims in.  This week should be closer to 100km before TwoOceans and then will be a solid block of 90-100km weeks before the taper to Comrades. Couple of days recovery then straight into tri training for IM70.3 Worlds in Finland in August.  Then my year is done for A races, and will have fun at CT marathon in Oct and Mossel Bay 70.3 in Nov.

Hi everyone, I'm heading to Skukuza in the Kruger National Park for a few days and was hoping to get some runs in. Is this possible? Does anybody have any routes to share?

A year after nearly dying of Viral Meningitis, I am FINALLY able to start pushing the boat out again, albeit slowly. 

It's has been, and continues to be, a long road to recovery, but 12 months on, my body and my brain are in a position to start getting a bit more into the legs.

I did a little 20km trail run without much fuss at decent clicks last week and will try to get that sort of comfort into 30km by the end of April and 50km by End of May.

From there just keep going and hopefully be able to smash some hundys later in the year.

BUT, slowly slowly catch a monkey!

21 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

A year after nearly dying of Viral Meningitis, I am FINALLY able to start pushing the boat out again, albeit slowly. 

It's has been, and continues to be, a long road to recovery, but 12 months on, my body and my brain are in a position to start getting a bit more into the legs.

I did a little 20km trail run without much fuss at decent clicks last week and will try to get that sort of comfort into 30km by the end of April and 50km by End of May.

From there just keep going and hopefully be able to smash some hundys later in the year.

BUT, slowly slowly catch a monkey!

stoked to hear you are back up and running, slowly slowly catch a monkey. You will be 100's soon enough

Morning Gents, so I have been wanting to get into running as a means of doing a bit of cross training and getting a good workout in when I have some time constraints and cannot be on the IDT or go out for a ride. What would you guys suggest would be the way forward in getting started? I haven't done any sort of proper structured running in the last 14 years or so since my athletics days in school. Idealy I would like to run 1-2 times a week and do 5K runs when I do it, and possibly get that up to doing a 10K when possible. 

5 minutes ago, devvydoesdonuts said:

Morning Gents, so I have been wanting to get into running as a means of doing a bit of cross training and getting a good workout in when I have some time constraints and cannot be on the IDT or go out for a ride. What would you guys suggest would be the way forward in getting started? I haven't done any sort of proper structured running in the last 14 years or so since my athletics days in school. Idealy I would like to run 1-2 times a week and do 5K runs when I do it, and possibly get that up to doing a 10K when possible. 

Be patient! Start very slow. Start walking.

Ask @Frosty for advice, he did it right and knows a lot about of training.

Personally, restart were I left off, goes well for 3months, then the tekkies comes off, rinse and repeat for the calendar year not achieving any of the goals set out.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, dave303e said:

Training has been interesting the last few weeks. 

Plaas gym is 100% functional now, adding proper leg(and other) strength work has made a huge difference in both running and more so in cycling. Squat, deadlift, quad extension and hamstring curls are on the up rapidly. Have had to throw away a bunch of shorts that are now too tight on quads. But the max power on the bike and the explosiveness running has been really good. Also noticed my stride stretching out a bit. Also been good to add more foam rolling and stretching to the regime, nice to have a lot of dedicated space for it all.

A recent addition to the family has got me up most mornings at 4:30 so it has been 5am training consistently for a few months now and it is also been an interesting one. For years I have trained after work in the evenings. Definitely get more out of the sessions and get a lot better at eating early.

Finally got a full diagnosis on the GERD. Did multiple tests like a gastroscopy(swallow a camera), Barium swallow(swallow fluid while X rayed) and then the worst was a probe with a ph meter down the nose into esophagus for 24 hours. I have a small hiatal hernia and then proper GERD. Operation is an option but we going to try treat with a ppi and a strict diet for a bit. Off to the nutritionist next week. Cut caffeine and alcohol already, started with the basic gerd diet and it seems to already be a little better. If you struglle with throwing up/heartburn/stomach, I can suggest getting it thoroughly checked.

But ya been a good year so far, 10km pb, consistently under last years 20km pb time and ftp is up. Long year to go to Adventure racing world champs though. The powerbi training dashboard. It has been really good to be able to compare Q1 to Q1 of previous years and so on. Far more insight than a strava total number at the end of the year. It has been good to track though and target key weaknesses. Coach has really tightened the screws as well with the feedback so it will be an interesting build to November.

new cows to milk? well done!

eina, hopefully there is a solution there

i think i need to up my game!

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

new cows to milk? well done!

eina, hopefully there is a solution there

i think i need to up my game!

Ya, little girl arrived earlier this year, needless to say daylight hours are now treasured.

Hopefully no surgery, going to go aggressive on managing it with diet and meds.

Remember how much an expedition hurts, this is one and a half of them. I am starting early just so I can have a few tapers and rests for big testing events through the year.

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

Remember how much an expedition hurts, this is one and a half of them. I am starting early just so I can have a few tapers and rests for big testing events through the year.

20 Cycling Quotes That Will Inspire You To Get Out | Cycling Today Official

Entered knysna extreme 0.5 in november so started running again after not running consistently for a long time. Did my first 10 km run today as my long runs has progressively gotten longer. I have forgotten how much I enjoy running.

On 4/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, devvydoesdonuts said:

Riding is hiding  running is real...🤐

Started running for real last year with intention of doing Two oceans and Comrades this year.

FMG its hard, you broken all the time versus riding!

On 4/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, devvydoesdonuts said:

Okay, lady here not a gent, but can I suggest you try the C25K programme. Once finished you can then ramp up to the 10k programme. 

As a fat person, I have never run in my life! Cycling works for me, less impact on my joints than running.

Decided in January that I had to change things up a bit as I got bored with just cycling.. New year new me bla bla - Best way to do that is set a stupid goal that scares me a bit, so I entered for the Mossel Bay Ironman 70,3 that takes place in November. Quickly realized that I'll have to start running sooner rather than later, so I entered for Two Oceans Half Marathon as a short term goal. Went from a 9:00/km 10km run/walk to a sub 6:00/km on the same route in two and half months! Pretty chuffed with that. Hopefully the legs hold up this weekend on the 21km!