ScottCM

Hi Everyone

This may be far-fetched but I would like to ask the following. I have been injured with my ITB issues, started building again recently after some physio sessions, and completed just over 134km for the year so far with no qualifiers entered or completed and no Comrades entry. Should I try my luck with the time left and go for it?

I also have the month of Ramadhan in-between.

TIA

Rhamadan is going to be the hardest for you... That's essentially a full month taper when you are already starting late. Your are also gonna have to ramp your training up significantly which is gonna put strain on your itb

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a doctor or a physio but I'd have to guess.....do the clever thing and postpone to 2020. No need to rush this year and possibly ruin yourself for months and months.

The races aren't going anywhere

True about the races going nowhere but I don't think I'll want to do it next year, or any other year.

Thanks

Rhamadan is going to be the hardest for you... That's essentially a full month taper when you are already starting late. Your are also gonna have to ramp your training up significantly which is gonna put strain on your itb

Fortunately I am used to training whilst fasting. This, however, is gonna be the worst I will ever go through if I decide to give it a go.

Thanks

Thanks

Running is always risky anyone can get injured at anytime time. Building a solid base overtime reduces your risk.

I had a terrible ITB mid Jan couldn't even walk. New pair of shoes a bit less milage and morenstretching and I'm back 100%

Some people run amazing Comrades races with ,700km from January onwards.

You will know.

Comrades is 40% training and 60% mental perseverance.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Running is always risky anyone can get injured at anytime time. Building a solid base overtime reduces your risk.

I had a terrible ITB mid Jan couldn't even walk. New pair of shoes a bit less milage and morenstretching and I'm back 100%

Some people run amazing Comrades races with ,700km from January onwards.

You will know.

Comrades is 40% training and 60% mental perseverance.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

I was hoping to have a solid base but I was enjoying my time off. I have just over a month to decide, and whatever choice I make, I know it will be a very careful one.

Thanks

I was hoping to have a solid base but I was enjoying my time off. I have just over a month to decide, and whatever choice I make, I know it will be a very careful one.

Thanks

Itb must have been one of the most frustrating injuries I had. Even worse than what I’m struggling with now. Here’s my take on your dilemma though.

I am currently staring the fact in the face that I’ll have to put my Comrades entry up for substitution. I started the down run last year with what I called a niggle but ended up with three tears in my adductor muscles, bone bruising on my pelvic symphysis and being unable to run for nearly six months.

As some of the guys have said, Comrades is very much a mental game and I proved it when I felt the first twinge within the first five km’s after the start in Pietermaritzburg. The lure of that back to back medal kept me going though. I told myself that if I can just get to 60 km’s I can finish. I got there and did finish but by the time I saw Moses Mabhida stadium I was crying because of the pain.

All the old toppies at the club warned me to not start Comrades with an injury. I know that if I commit now I can still make it to the start line and probably force myself to finish it again. But at what cost? Having to sit out another six months again? My ultimate goal is to carry running well into my 60’s or 70’s and that means looking after myself now. So guess I’m one of the okes saying sit it out and run it next year when you beter prepared and injury free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ronniek

The Comrades bug really is a funny old thing - I must say I've had a big reality check this last month with things going pretty pear shaped, even by my standards

I've always been a bit gung ho with my attitude towards distance running and Comrades - maybe irresponsibly so in some regards, with my passion for the event often over-riding my little remaining rationality.

If I've ever led anyone up a dark path, I do apologize - I've learnt this last month that it's not as simple as I sometimes make it out to be and I've been lucky in many regards the last few years that my lack of prep has not come back to bite me in the ass (well, at least not in a more serious way than it regularly does) - in hindsight, I've been pretty lucky to avoid the big issues my lack of proper prep was quite possibly courting.

I'm kakking off at the moment though, after back to back horror show marathons, at the finish of Vaal on Sunday, sporting by miles my worst ever marathon time, I was done with running, done with chasing this Comrades dream, and ready to happily offer up my ODD and OMTOM entries to any and everyone.

This was no longer fun, I was tired of the pain and suffering, and tired of the disappointment... albeit all rather deserved in many ways. Why would I want to do this all again in two weeks time... how much can honestly change before ODD?

Well, two days in running is a long time and I'm back and all aboard the stupid train. Two weeks to ODD and time to get my focus on, get my legs back into some better shape and get on top of all my bio work and core strengthening and hope for all hopes, these few little marginal gains will come together to get me over the line at ODD in a qualifying time for OMTOM and in one piece. Yes I know, send those straight jackets folks... 

Tat's the thing with this whole journey, it's easy when it goes well, it's when things go pear shaped that you really earn that Comrades medal. Hold thumbs for me, say a little prayer, do whatever it is you do... I'm gonna be out looking for some miracles at ODD  :stupid:  :D

A lot of people are dismissing wrist based heart as being unreliable and inaccurate. 

I might soon become one of them.  Either that or there will serious heart issues that needs addressing.

We have a Forerunner 35 Optical HR that does the following in runs.    Somewhere in the run there is a spike in the HR and then it stays at that higher level.  It's not always in the exact stage of the run, not always on hills, so no real patterns, but in every single run there is a spike like this.

The strap is nice and tight, so I really do not know what to make of this, apart from I'm going to wear this watch myself and give her my 230 with HR strap and see what it does tonight.   

A friend of mine says his 35's HR was also most of the time acting up.   

This run is actually the same person, but with another friend of mine's 35 when she tested it to decide if she wanted the 35 and it also did the spike.

post-2734-0-42722100-1551771319_thumb.jpg

post-2734-0-18012400-1551771327_thumb.jpg

I might soon become one of them. Either that or there will serious heart issues that needs addressing.

We have a Forerunner 35 Optical HR that does the following in runs. Somewhere in the run there is a spike in the HR and then it stays at that higher level. It's not always in the exact stage of the run, not always on hills, so no real patterns, but in every single run there is a spike like this.

The strap is nice and tight, so I really do not know what to make of this, apart from I'm going to wear this watch myself and give her my 230 with HR strap and see what it does tonight.

A friend of mine says his 35's HR was also most of the time acting up.

This run is actually the same person, but with another friend of mine's 35 when she tested it to decide if she wanted the 35 and it also did the spike.

Sure the spike is not fitness related ????????

I did a few more runs with the two watches, including a long run. The wrist is definitely more consistent, but lacks some real time accuracy on really hard intervals.

Came across a thread that said you must shave your wrist for an even more accurate reading. Did that. Marginal gains is everything. ????