ScottCM

Some more optical HR examples, with the one of last night taking the cake..   :wacko:

post-2734-0-10245700-1551772594_thumb.jpg

post-2734-0-98063500-1551772599_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure the spike is not fitness related ????????

It was surely part of the discussion, if some people need to get their act together...   :whistling:  :lol:

But then it surely should not happen when you stop on a downhill should it?  :unsure:

post-2734-0-51932700-1551772918_thumb.jpg

From my Sunday run. HR corresponds perfectly with pace and climbs. Wrist based might not be the best for elite athletes, but if you use it as a guide to train in the correct zones its perfect.

post-734-0-56914900-1551772802_thumb.jpg

I am also super happy with Wrist HR, I even have a HR strap for my watch and the strap only gets used for Zwift/cycling and paddling now.

Also a convert to wrist HR, strap is only used for cycling.  I am also a convert to the Stryd power meter so worry less about my HR and more focused on running efficiency and pace with power and power zones.... since using a stryd my HR has dropped considerably, hence why I worry less about my HR.

Just to be clear, we don't use HR based training or whatever, it is actually less of a worry for me.  It is however nice to monitor your fitness and keep an eye on it.    But the way this one works, does not mean much, so I need to figure out if there is something wrong with the watch or not. 

I'm using an old Tomtom Runner 1 with a Mio heart rate sensor. Information from that is pretty much useless. But I must add, that I have hairy arms/wrists (not mad like Esau from the bible). Maybe somethin to do with that?

The first GPS watch I bought was a Garmin Forerunner 305. I had all the good intentions of using the interval trainer ect., but it just never happened. So with my Tomtom I'm happy with a watch that is easy to use and easy to log. If a Casio had the same functionality, I would have been equally happy. So for me it was a good R1000 investment.

I might soon become one of them. Either that or there will serious heart issues that needs addressing.

We have a Forerunner 35 Optical HR that does the following in runs. Somewhere in the run there is a spike in the HR and then it stays at that higher level. It's not always in the exact stage of the run, not always on hills, so no real patterns, but in every single run there is a spike like this.

The strap is nice and tight, so I really do not know what to make of this, apart from I'm going to wear this watch myself and give her my 230 with HR strap and see what it does tonight.

A friend of mine says his 35's HR was also most of the time acting up.

This run is actually the same person, but with another friend of mine's 35 when she tested it to decide if she wanted the 35 and it also did the spike.

Have tried it with the strap reallllllly tight

Like tight enough to leave an imprint around your wrist

Try it, and see if it works better

:thumbup:  :P

either you're bad or I'm an idiot for watching this in the morning at the office.

I'll have a twitching leg for the rest of the day!

Have tried it with the strap reallllllly tight

Like tight enough to leave an imprint around your wrist

Try it, and see if it works better

It must be really tight. If any light reaches the sensor it goes all wonky.

But that wont cause a spike. Might be a software/algorithm issue. Do a hard reset and see if it improves.

Have a Two Oceans Ultra entry that I would like to sub for a half entry, if anyone interested?

Bump, any interest? 

Many thanks!

I might soon become one of them.  Either that or there will serious heart issues that needs addressing.

We have a Forerunner 35 Optical HR that does the following in runs.    Somewhere in the run there is a spike in the HR and then it stays at that higher level.  It's not always in the exact stage of the run, not always on hills, so no real patterns, but in every single run there is a spike like this.

The strap is nice and tight, so I really do not know what to make of this, apart from I'm going to wear this watch myself and give her my 230 with HR strap and see what it does tonight.   

A friend of mine says his 35's HR was also most of the time acting up.   

This run is actually the same person, but with another friend of mine's 35 when she tested it to decide if she wanted the 35 and it also did the spike.

This looks like the HR reading snapped to your Cadence.

Try turning cadence on in the strava charts and see if the HR and cadence values are similar.

Then it means the watch is picking up changes in light everytime you take a step, and reading that instead of reading changes in colour based on your blood pumping through your veins.

If you see this happening during your run you can try stand still for a bit and see if the HR snaps back.

Another thing that has worked for me is to wear it higher on my wrist where it is more fleshy, or even under my wrist.

This looks like the HR reading snapped to your Cadence.

Try turning cadence on in the strava charts and see if the HR and cadence values are similar.

Then it means the watch is picking up changes in light everytime you take a step, and reading that instead of reading changes in colour based on your blood pumping through your veins.

If you see this happening during your run you can try stand still for a bit and see if the HR snaps back.

Another thing that has worked for me is to wear it higher on my wrist where it is more fleshy, or even under my wrist.

I see Garmin says it should be above the wrist bone.  Closest to the hand I presume? 

We run in the dark 90% of the time, so light should not be a factor should it? 

I checked the cadence, does not seem to be a factor, thanks. 

Edited by Jackes

I see Garmin says it should be above the wrist bone.  Closest to the hand I presume? 

We run in pitch dark 90% of the time, so light should not be a factor should it? 

I checked the cadence, does not seem to be a factor, thanks. 

Closer to the shoulder. Past the wrist bone on the outside of your arm. 

It must be really tight. If any light reaches the sensor it goes all wonky.

But that wont cause a spike. Might be a software/algorithm issue. Do a hard reset and see if it improves.

I have not seen any spikes, just some lower than normal (while running) and abnormal high (while walking) readings.

Tightening the strap seem to resolve these quickly

Isolated instances above, most of the time it’s sharp....