ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Oceans sent an email out, they acting like they suffering huge financial losses from this cancelation? 

Please can they explain how? Keeping all the race money and keeping the goodie bags till next year. 

Surely it must be a relief for them? 

Two Oceans sent an email out, they acting like they suffering huge financial losses from this cancelation? 

Please can they explain how? Keeping all the race money and keeping the goodie bags till next year. 

Agreed, although it is conceivable that they had some sponsors for the event that are no longer coming to the party

Agreed, although it is conceivable that they had some sponsors for the event that are no longer coming to the party

Didn't they loose most sponsors year before? 

I did substitutes for both our tickets. Feel bad as the one guy really battled to pay for his ticket. 

Well if you paid all deposits for vendors and suppliers and services(medics, water, railings, banners, advertising, branding, dj's, timing and entry systems etc) and then all the people who entered are now asking for refunds

Call me stupid, but it's not as if you can seriously expect a refund...

You've entered with the T&C's known. What's the odds of it being cancelled anyways.

It is a huge show to get on the road, and as was rightly said, loads of expenses have already been incurred. 

And really, it's not as if anybody from numerous other cancelled events will get refunded. I mean, compared to Epic entry fee or flights for a MotoGP or F1 race that will not happen...

None of us got refunded for 2017 Argus, so why should anybody think this should be different? At least you're not in the starting pens when the cancellation happens!

Two Oceans won't have lost any money as a result of the cancellation... but they certainly would lose a small fortune if they refunded. Most of that money is spent - I would say at least 60%

5% admin on the entries
15% on the merchandise
5% on the medal
1% Number printing
10-20% race office running
??% on deposits for venues, massive infrastructure hire, marketing, websites etc

People can be upset all they want, but do we really want the race to crash and burn because they must refund us at all costs? We know they were already having financial issues before this... it would be a tragedy to lose this iconic event

Life will go on (or will it)  :mellow:  :lol:

Two Oceans won't have lost any money as a result of the cancellation... but they certainly would lose a small fortune if they refunded. Most of that money is spent - I would say at least 60%

5% admin on the entries

15% on the merchandise

5% on the medal

1% Number printing

10-20% race office running

??% on deposits for venues, massive infrastructure hire, marketing, websites etc

People can be upset all they want, but do we really want the race to crash and burn because they must refund us at all costs? We know they were already having financial issues before this... it would be a tragedy to lose this iconic event

Life will go on (or will it)  :mellow:  :lol:

I don't know the numbers, but being an NPO maybe they are quite well known.

obviously the fixed costs (running an office/staff) are constant.

the on the day stuff, a lot of that surely hasn't been touched yet - they are far enough out that mobilasation hadn't happened.

i would not be surprised if they claim poverty but once you dig into the details this cancellation saved their butts.

edit: found it quickly.

only abridged AFS, no breakdown on revenue (R35m) and expenses (R35m)

https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/about-two-oceans/tom-npc-agm/

AGM held in niv still doesn't have minutes

Edited by Shebeen

They also advised that you will be getting the tshirt which have already been printed and paid for, think also a buff when I quickly read it.

Edit: here the official announcement about refunds https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/your-tom-2020-cancellation-questions-answered/?fbclid=IwAR10U5TdIOcKYeGfvRjiuQQKtiBS9Pau33gIpPAANExjLxbzygLaGkGlk1g

Edited by shaper

They also advised that you will be getting the tshirt which have already been printed and paid for, think also a buff when I quickly read it.

Edit: here the official announcement about refunds https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/your-tom-2020-cancellation-questions-answered/?fbclid=IwAR10U5TdIOcKYeGfvRjiuQQKtiBS9Pau33gIpPAANExjLxbzygLaGkGlk1g

Not sure why people get so worked up about getting a t-shirt; personally I wouldn't wear anything with race insignia if I didn't actually complete the race for whatever reason. 

Not sure why people get so worked up about getting a t-shirt; personally I wouldn't wear anything with race insignia if I didn't actually complete the race for whatever reason. 

Well, no one would have run it so I will feel less guilty wearing it on my adventures.

I haven't 'paid' for running/cycling clothes in years and years. I feel zero guilt wrecking my 'freebies' bundu bashing and sleeping in bushes.

Why, in the grand scheme of things, is the goodie bag important? You sure as hell didn' pay for it, and who says that the sponsors who sponsored said goodie bag are going to be supplying them anyways?

Been struggling to get up in the am with the potential cancellation/postponment of Comrades. Tempted to just jump back on the bike and enjoy my riding again!

Not sure why the Two Oceans can't just use the entries for next years race like some other races are doing.

Remember a couple of months ago the Big Sponsors pulled out (Old Mutual, Adidas etc) with vague statements but the rumors where miss management of funds. In short the Two Oceans obviously can't refund as they don't have the money but I still think a partial refund is fair as all the race day and expo expenses aren't realized. 

Not sure why the Two Oceans can't just use the entries for next years race like some other races are doing.

Remember a couple of months ago the Big Sponsors pulled out (Old Mutual, Adidas etc) with vague statements but the rumors where miss management of funds. In short the Two Oceans obviously can't refund as they don't have the money but I still think a partial refund is fair as all the race day and expo expenses aren't realized. 

That's what we thought for CTCT 2017 and we didn't see anything.

They have made their decision and no amount of moaning will help.

The best you can hope for is a guaranteed entry for the next year.

And with the lottery still applying, that's not a bad compromise. 

May also be the last year for the lottery if CTCT is anything to go on

LOL you reminded me of an old comrades marathon T shirt I got when I entered to run.

It was a really nice training t shirt and it eventually wore out from frequent use and washing.

My wife never forgave me for using it and would often let me know in no uncertain terms, seeing I DNS’d due to sickness and injury and she actually started and finished.

It was a simple white cotton t shirt with a big comrades emblem on the front, nowhere did it say FINISHER...... That’s my excuse