ScottCM

First report back on the ASICS. I don't pretend to be anything approaching a competent runner but I could definitely feel a difference.

I ran without my ankle brace and I could feel the improvement. Thanks for the advice.

Also. The sweat shop in Claremont will definitely see me again.

Oh and suikerbossie is hard. On feet or wheels.

Phew was worried you would hate them . I trust the fella at the store concurred that it is the correct shoe for you?

Edited by Stevief

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the New Balance are now relegated to walking shoes.

These are on the way from Brooklyn NY

My go to shoe for any distance race.

post-734-0-50132800-1590467142_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mudsimus

Phew was worried you would hate them . I trust the fella at the store concurred that it is the correct shoe for you?

Yeah. He gave me 3 other options to try but I went with the Asics in the end anyway. Just walking around in the shop I could feel a massive difference between those and the Adidas trail shoes. Those have now been retired to gym shoes.

He also sold me some resistance bands and showed me some strengthening exercises I need to do to with the bands to get the area back to strength. I've been doing those daily.

I'm loving this little toe dipping into running. My only regret is that I found it so late in life. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Beware the "toe dipping into running" - that's how I started. Just to stay fit during winter for W2W with a partner that can cycle to work during winter.

And it's never too late - I was... about 44 at that stage. I'm now swinging back into cycling a bit and enjoying both MTB and trail running immensely. 

I'm loving this little toe dipping into running. My only regret is that I found it so late in life.

On the bright side, you will have less wear + tear and over use issues compared to someone who started running at a much younger age.

Take it easy for the first year, and don’t go bossies by jumping into marathon distances.... and you will have a long and happy running career.

Quick question for those running with Hoka's - I recently changed from Puma Faas 600 to Hoka Arahi's and while the Hoka's initially felt really good after about 40mins I started getting hotspots on the inside of my arch.  I put this down to new shoes, but I've had them now for around 300km and the blisters are not going away.  Now i read on some forums that specifically the Arahi's are known for this and there are quite a few people having the same issue.  Anyone else who runs in this model who might be able to comment?

Quick question for those running with Hoka's - I recently changed from Puma Faas 600 to Hoka Arahi's and while the Hoka's initially felt really good after about 40mins I started getting hotspots on the inside of my arch.  I put this down to new shoes, but I've had them now for around 300km and the blisters are not going away.  Now i read on some forums that specifically the Arahi's are known for this and there are quite a few people having the same issue.  Anyone else who runs in this model who might be able to comment?

My wife had Arahi's, loved them for the most part, no foot blisters but endless toenail problems. Whether it was a shoe sizing problem or even possibly unrelated to Arahi and to do with the Speedgoats & trail running I don't know. 

Edit: I said she had Arahi's, 2 weeks ago we went shoe shopping and after trying a bunch, settled on old-faithful Asics again. Time will tell if she misses the road Hokas.

Edited by Chris_

Suppose I'll mention my new road shoes too. I went from Altra Escalante to Altra Torin 4. 

My gawd they're amazing! Escalantes were cool and I did a very happy 800 odd kms but I started thinking I was doing myself an injustice on the cushioning side. The Torins are simply spectacular - they feel light, deliciously soft, and responsive enough to be able to knock out the odd sprint sesh without thudding around like a clown.

Highly, highly recommended 

Quick question for those running with Hoka's - I recently changed from Puma Faas 600 to Hoka Arahi's and while the Hoka's initially felt really good after about 40mins I started getting hotspots on the inside of my arch. I put this down to new shoes, but I've had them now for around 300km and the blisters are not going away. Now i read on some forums that specifically the Arahi's are known for this and there are quite a few people having the same issue. Anyone else who runs in this model who might be able to comment?

Not a big fan of Hoka. But I never experienced this. They feel like slippers. Unfortunately they run like slippers as well.

Not a big fan of Hoka. But I never experienced this. They feel like slippers. Unfortunately they run like slippers as well.

You really do not like Hoka`s.

Have two pairs of Hoka`s, one pair Nike and two pair`s of NB on rotation, to be honest, can`t tell the difference in "speed". 

The only difference I can feel on the Hoka`s and one pair of NB`s is the heel-to-toe drop, and only if I switch immediately between pairs.

You really do not like Hoka`s.

Have two pairs of Hoka`s, one pair Nike and two pair`s of NB on rotation, to be honest, can`t tell the difference in "speed".

The only difference I can feel on the Hoka`s and one pair of NB`s is the heel-to-toe drop, and only if I switch immediately between pairs.

I don't like NB either. Same reason????