Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly went over the tail of a Mozambique spitting cobra a couple of days ago. Luckily he was more intent on getting the hell out of there, rather than pick a fight with me. I would've lost though as I wasn't even wearing glasses, and they are dead accurate with aiming for the eyes

Was it you that had a Mamba? living in your roof a few years back?  I remember someone here had one living in their roof, seem to think it was you.

Mole snake, not a puffy. A puffy is darker and the head much fatter. It also has chevron markings along the back, that are more pronounced.

I am interested to note that a mole snake resembles a puffy as a baby, and a cobra as an adult. Good way to make its enemies think twice before tackling it.

Still would be perfectly capable of making my black bib brown. So there's that...

Except for black mambas, they will follow you home, knock on your door, and then bite you.

And your families. Like the mafia!

AGAIN, WHAT BLOODY TIME OF THE DAY WAS THIS PLEASE ... MORNINGS OR AFTERNOONS!?!?!? 

Coffee all over my keyboard....

Made me think of Obelix not getting through to Asterix...

AGAIN, WHAT BLOODY TIME OF THE DAY WAS THIS PLEASE ... MORNINGS OR AFTERNOONS!?!?!? 

Sounds like you're ready to progress beyond the short sock/long sock debate...

post-41145-0-72629200-1578932243_thumb.jpg

I dont think you can get them in jellybean designs yet though.

I came across one a few weeks back halfway up Spyker's Hill. I came around the sharp switchback just after that semi descending bit as you start climbing again, and there it was in all its 1.8 m glory. I properly pooped myself, stopped and watched it sail off into the undergrowth, before noticing the grass move as it made its way in my direction. I high tailed it out of there chop chop.

hahaha I see exactly the turn you're talking about :D

Mole snake, not a puffy. A puffy is darker and the head much fatter. It also has chevron markings along the back, that are more pronounced.

I am interested to note that a mole snake resembles a puffy as a baby, and a cobra as an adult. Good way to make its enemies think twice before tackling it.

It's not really a case of mimicry of venomous species, rather than uneducated people thinking every snake is some or other venomous specie. 

Many snake species go through ontogenetic colour changes as they mature. Camouflage being the main advantage and driver for an animal that is at the bottom of the food chain, but as it grows and its behavior and environment it occupies changes, evolution will favour those traits that are most successful for its survival.

The dark colouration of Mole snakes on the West coast probably evolved to aid thermoregulation for an animal that spends most of its life in burrows - the quicker it can warm up in the sun, the quicker it can get away into hiding again.