Dopers suck

fandacious

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I don't understand how this works, if your medical condition requires you to take banned substances, and you know that they are banned, can't you file a case beforehand stating that you will be taking said substance for medical reasons and get a free pass ? Seems that would make sense rather than having to hide it and hope not to get caught and only then having to justify yourself :(

You can apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption but reading the criteria, phentermine would not qualify: (from https://drugfreesport.org.za/tue/)

All of the four following criteria must be met (for more details, please refer to the WADA International Standard Therapeutic Use Exemptions 2021 (ISTUE), Article 4.2):

1. 1. The athlete has a diagnosed medical condition, which requires treatment using a prohibited substance or method;

1. 2. The therapeutic use of the substance will not, on the balance of probabilities, produce any additional enhancement of performance beyond what might be anticipated by a return to the athlete’s normal state of health;

1. 3. The prohibited substance or method is an indicated treatment for the medical condition, and there is no reasonable permitted therapeutic alternative;

1. 4. The necessity to use that substance or method is not the consequence of the prior use (without a TUE), of a substance or method which was prohibited at the time of use.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, binxc said:

The whole story is a bit odd. 

Phentermine is banned in competition but she states she was taking it out of competition due to weight gain as a result of a sterilisation. A normal sterilisation would not necessarily result in intractable weight gain unless they removed one's ovaries as well, which would not be standard at her age - but depending on the cause of her issues, they may very well have had to do that. She also had her urologist at her hearing to suggest that she had altered kidney function which may have contributed to her high urine levels and he then says that they need to ask a nephrologist about that, which is fair from his side but indicates poor preparation from her representation, as surely they should have anticipated that the urologist would give this answer, being a surgeon and not a physician. 

A more cohesive medicolegal team might have gotten her off but ultimately, she knew the risks of taking it. 

I would have thought that her legal team would have consulted with her witnesses prior to the hearing and they should have known that he will not be an expert and that a nephrologist was needed in her defence.

Is there another twist related to that lab….?

the method used for analysis requires GC/MS? 

I read the whole report @Danger Dassie

The impression I get is that she had the book thrown at her because she was difficult and she lied.

She didn't even request a B sample test or follow any of the usual processes. It seems she chose a story and stuck to it, regardless of the fact that there were some contradictions.

It looks like her 'team' were terrible

Regardless, 4 years is a long time for a 33 year old. The end of her career I'd assume.

And somehow, this Spanish story does not surprise me. And it is most likely the case in all countries in the world. If they can cheat they will.

16 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

So I see Amy Wakefield has received a 4 year ban for taking the illegal and off market phentermine....

That explains why she went so quiet after last year's Epic.
Her and Candice were riding such a great PR wave after the stick incident etc.

So sad

So many issues raised by this, and I have read (not studied) the full report.

A top athlete taking an appetite suppressant to reduce weight to be competitive - that's where my unease starts.

Candice Lill and choosing partners to win the Epic (which in my humble opinion she is capable of), there are so many considerations we may not be aware of in a race where you need to rely on your partner.

On a lighter note - how about the chap on the SAIDS site who got 5 months for testing positive for ephedrine at BOWLS,   

4 minutes ago, tubed said:

So many issues raised by this, and I have read (not studied) the full report.

A top athlete taking an appetite suppressant to reduce weight to be competitive - that's where my unease starts.

Candice Lill and choosing partners to win the Epic (which in my humble opinion she is capable of), there are so many considerations we may not be aware of in a race where you need to rely on your partner.

On a lighter note - how about the chap on the SAIDS site who got 5 months for testing positive for ephedrine at BOWLS,   

Bowls is cut throat!

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Bowls is cut throat!

doesn't have to be a high output sport for doping to be effective. Doping through university degrees with concerta is rife, heck i have a friend who doped is way through a drivers licence test with it...

Just now, dave303e said:

doesn't have to be a high output sport for doping to be effective. Doping through university degrees with concerta is rife, heck i have a friend who doped is way through a drivers licence test with it...

Absolutely

Many banned substances have to do with heightened concentration, numbing of fatigue, heightened focus etc.... 

Performance enhancing is just that, not exclusive to physical enhancement

4 hours ago, tubed said:

Turn your back for one second and your prune juice has been spiked.

19 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Regardless, 4 years is a long time for a 33 year old. The end of her career I'd assume.

Or the start of a glorious career of improbable victories in ultra gravel/MTB races where no one gets tested.