Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Not even close to the average level of workmanship but here's what I got up to over the weekend. A new outside table.

Some assembly required:

attachicon.gifTafel 1.jpeg

Need to stay hydrated:

attachicon.gifTafel 2.jpeg

Slowly things are taking shape:

attachicon.gifTafel 3.jpeg

Mock setup of the table top:

attachicon.gifTafel 4.jpeg

After sanding and initial linseed oil coat:

attachicon.gifTafel 5.jpeg

Next up is a second linseed oil coat on the table top, and the benches needs to be built.

Nice table but a pink drink, really.....

Your mancard may need to be taken away buddy!!!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But, here's last night's picture after completing the benches.

attachicon.gifTafel 6.jpeg

See, no pink drink :clap:

*Edit: To add, what do you think of the stained/dirty looking table leg? My fiance reckons I should leave it, but I want to sand it... 

Leave it !!

Makes it authentic.

I have been pretty bad at taking pics of stuff I have done over the last while.

I made two of these mallets as Christmas presents.

Still have the cut to size pieces to make another two which I will get around to when I have a bit more time.

Oak faces with the main contact surface being a solid chunk of mahogany. Not 100% sure what the handle is, was a mystery wood given to me but its got nice tight grain and was quite pleasant to work with. Small zebrano wedge on top.

The handle was turned on the lathe keeping the flats but rounding the edges. I used that to make a square facing end that meets the head but still allows for a 20mm hole to keep everything squared up nicely.

post-4822-0-16026000-1514366814_thumb.jpg

*edit* I will take pics of the process when I make the next two, because Im sure my description doesnt explain much.

Edited by Rocket-Boy

Finished the lidded boxes that I made as Christmas gifts last night, better late than never and all that.

My wife made the little ceramic succulents to go on top so I created a recess and epoxied them in place.

The one with the coves cut into it was a bit of a sad story, it was mounted in cole jaws while I was cleaning up the tenon and I got an endgrain catch which sent it flying and resulted in some heavy gouges. So design modification was called for and the coves were used to cut through the dents.

I think they came out ok in the end though.

post-4822-0-45783200-1514536910_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-42216500-1514536923_thumb.jpg

6bda1c188263614b54f0ac6481496d59.jpg

Finished the Nought’s and Crosses. X’s and O’s laser engraved into the Meranti blocks. The board was an experiment in half lap joints.

Very nice, half laps are super useful joints.

Do you have a laser engraver or do you get them done somewhere?

Very nice, half laps are super useful joints.

Do you have a laser engraver or do you get them done somewhere?

Thanks! No, I don’t have an engraver, one day, along with a CNC Router... There’s a guy who lives around the corner from me who does the laser work, has a really nice setup and is super helpful. He’s done quite a bit of engraving on the plywood boxes I make for the Jenga that my wife sells.

it took me 3 months  in evening school but I'm really proud of the result  :thumbup:

Beautiful design and work :thumbup:

post-38237-0-96404600-1515506198_thumb.jpg

I got this bench from a friend of mine . Any advice on how to bring it back to life ? Which sandpaper(grit) and do I varnish or stain ?

DSC_1065.JPG

I got this bench from a friend of mine . Any advice on how to bring it back to life ? Which sandpaper(grit) and do I varnish or stain ?

find someone who does dry ice blasting - then go from there.