[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

That start area has always been a problem area because of the funneling effect of the wind. We had it in 2009, 2010 and 2014 I think. Surely the race needs to be moved from that area. I agree with the poster earlier because the same thing happened in previous years. The moment the race hit hospital bend the wind was manageable to ride. It's the beginning where chaos happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree 100% - the starting funnel must be the windiest spot in Cape Town, if not in the Province when the southeaster is at it. Surely moving the start chutes elsewhere (yes I know, not as simple as it sounds), will provide a solution to the havoc at the start on windy days?

I'm sure this must have been debated before: but what are the reasons that the Cycle Tour cannot follow the route in reverse? Impact of longer road closures on M3 etc perhaps? It would resolve the gusty start, and provide some nice tailwinds in the latter half of the race...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they should move the start anyways, maybe even closer to the stadium where it finishes.

I'm sure this must have been debated before: but what are the reasons that the Cycle Tour cannot follow the route in reverse? Impact of longer road closures on M3 etc perhaps? It would resolve the gusty start, and provide some nice tailwinds in the latter half of the race...

The M3 being closed till 17H00, when alot of back markers finish would be to much for cape town folk.

Also other route dangers. the T junction bottom suikerbossie. The bends coming down Smits.

Remember a huge % of riders, have some serious dodge bike skills.

This is why you do the Tour Of Good Hope as well, if you are coming from out of town. At least you will get to do some solid racing even if a day or two is claimed by the weather.

Would the back markers been able to handle it?

With fatigue, it would've been tough

It's about handling a predictable-ish race line too that don't cause crashes for those behind

Edited by 'Dale

As a regular argus back marker, I seriously doubt it.

Most folk are knackered by the time Suikerbossie arrives. They will have been on their bikes for 5 or so hours without the wind. In this wind, maybe 6 or more and exhausted from the continual need to stay upright. Then to have to face the cross winds going down "bossie and into camps bay - many people would have been injured.

Had they started, I reckon many of the back markers would not have made the finish and cut off time.

In 2009 they called the ride off for many of the back markers on the top of Suikerbossie.

What the top guys (anyone who finished in 4 hrs) fail to realise is the wind gets worse as the day goes on. Finishing in 3 or 4 hours is nothing like folk sitting and pedaling for 7 hrs.

I dont think so, probably should have stopped the race at 2A. Was not blowing people off bikes etc. Had a lovely ride over constania nek, down to Hout bay and up sugar bush with the crowds still cheering. 

I will put money on it that in two weeks time, these same "high winds" will cancel the two oceans.

All the runners we met on the route were very concerned about the 2 oceans!

So long and the short, if you accept that the race is open to all (pros, weekend warriors, plebs, etc.) then the decision to let it proceed needs to be taken with everyone in mind (within reason of course).

Sort of feels like the right decision, even if it was unpleasant and feels like a waste.  

Now we will probably have the most amazing wind still monday / tuesday

You guys think you have problems?

Our local bakery has run out of post-ride croissants!

They say the wine farms are also filling up 

Got home, unloaded the bike and started to ride. I decided my regular "roadie" route of a lap around Simonsberg was a good idea (old short Burger route). 

There was a bit of a wind but it was bearable. The amount of smiling faces with CTCT number on their backs and handlebars where an awesome sight to behold. Each and every one waved back at me and I realised that this is actually what it's all about. We ride our bikes because we enjoy it and we are happy when doing so.

I am very fortunate that I did not loose a lot (2x entry fee + 90km petrol) as opposed so others with plane tickets, hotel accommodation, etc - and I am thankful for that.

As I rode past Del Vera out came Meurant Botha in his Nissan, I waved at him, he waved back and laughed. It is ironic because last weekend I had the best CTCT MTB ride so far, I did both the 30K and 55K. Maybe he was laughing because at least his part of the whole CTCT went without any issues. Then again maybe it's the first time he sees me on a road bike.

Almost back home I went all out against the wind up Slaley hill, and then I thought of another reason why we should not moan about today. The One Tonner and Stellenbosch Cycle Tour also goes up that very hill. We have so many incredible rides here, and if you get on your MTB there is even more.

Today was the most insightful Argus I ever rode. 

Didn't want to ride, due to wind but made the decision to do so and we were on our way from Stellenbosch when we got the text to say it's been cancelled.

We detoured and then decided to go to Franschhoek and rode up the windy pass - saw lots of bikers there on our way back - think many riders trying to find a way to burn off all the carbs ????

Got home, unloaded the bike and started to ride. I decided my regular "roadie" route of a lap around Simonsberg was a good idea (old short Burger route). 

There was a bit of a wind but it was bearable. The amount of smiling faces with CTCT number on their backs and handlebars where an awesome sight to behold. Each and every one waved back at me and I realised that this is actually what it's all about. We ride our bikes because we enjoy it and we are happy when doing so.

I am very fortunate that I did not loose a lot (2x entry fee + 90km petrol) as opposed so others with plane tickets, hotel accommodation, etc - and I am thankful for that.

As I rode past Del Vera out came Meurant Botha in his Nissan, I waved at him, he waved back and laughed. It is ironic because last weekend I had the best CTCT MTB ride so far, I did both the 30K and 55K. Maybe he was laughing because at least his part of the whole CTCT went without any issues. Then again maybe it's the first time he sees me on a road bike.

Almost back home I went all out against the wind up Slaley hill, and then I thought of another reason why we should not moan about today. The One Tonner and Stellenbosch Cycle Tour also goes up that very hill. We have so many incredible rides here, and if you get on your MTB there is even more.

Today was the most insightful Argus I ever rode. 

I think for the foreseeable future we will stay with the MTB races. At least they don't get cancelled when conditions gets tough.  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Already entered for the 99er later in April.

I think I will try and ride Helderberg with my MTB this arvie late to get this out of my system. At least my MTB still has it's knobblies on.

Edited by Moridin