[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Perceptions of Johnny Foreigner ...... that's me.

I live overseas and am one of those who travelled a stupidly long way to take part in the race, and would probably be classified as a late finisher around the 4h 30min mark judging by last year, which was then my only time taking part.

FWIW this is what it has cost me approximately;

1,150 entry fee

30,480 air fares

9,405 hotel bill

1,900 car hire

800 transfers etc

2,000 Food & drink

Total 45,700 ZAR approx

Do I want my money back ? - No, none of it. But do I want an entry for next year - absolutely. And will I enter again ? Yes but begrudgingly and never again if I have to go in the public ballot. If I didn't get in next year I wouldn't enter again as there are better organised and more reasonable T&C's for other big events. And that's just shy of 50,000ZAR which the country would never see.

Until now I had sung the praises of the event with my cycling colleagues encouraging them to attend and so far one did - this year and boy will she be annoyed when I see her.

Would I recommend the race to others - yes, but with heavy health warnings about it becoming politically susceptible to protestors, with it being started in a stupid place and with it being at the wrong time of year. Most people, especially western softy European types like me will not want to be anywhere near a political protest in South Africa so you'll lose a lot of good will if those are not resolved.

I cannot judge whether it was the weather or other reasons that caused the cancellation as I understand none of the politics here, and barely some of the locations quoted. What I can do is tell you how the people spending the most money to get into the country feel about their treatment. Nobody wants to ride outside their capabilities so the cancellation brought some small relief given it was going to be a very long day otherwise. What I didn't like, regardless of the Terms and Cinditions was the brusque attitude to taking the money and run, without even considering deferrals. To me that says the bottom line is the only thing that matters to the organisers. Their reputation is trashed in my view, even if the event isn't. In Europe or the USA a class action suit would have been under way by now as the organisers knew the problems of the start line, and clearly had no contingency for much else. The weather is uncontrollable which is why major events take out insurance - which this event appears to not, given weather is almost guaranteed to cause some issues judging by people's comments.

And as to the luvvies trying to stop people complaining because of the terrible fire, the two events are utterly unrelated. Those affected need help and need it quickly - irrespective of the weather and whether the race was running or not.

Finally I just checked the T&C's of the London Prudential RideLondon 100 - cancellation by the organisers results in a fee refund in total. That's what a professional organisation does - it takes out insurance.

If the CTCC want to remain a Premier level event they are going to have to do things a little differently in my opinion because lots of travellers are going to give the CTCC a good hard look next time rather than just jumping in.

So which time of the year would be better?

wind_speed_windSpeed_mph.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the office today and reflecting on a really awesome weekend - without an official Argus finish...

About the weather. I did the race in 2009 and yesterday a couple of us cycled backwards on the route up to the top of Chappies. As a direct comparison I honestly feel that the wind was worse than in 2009. Most people turned around before the booms because it was just that bad. I was on a MTB and around some of the corners it was impossible to stay on one side of the road - I was almost blown off the side and at one stage it literally felt like the bike was going to lift up. I saw people sitting flat holding on to their bike's top tubes with the bikes flailing in the wind. Personally I think it would have been reckless for organisers to expect bunches to go through there as the gusts would have resulted in many accidents. I would not have attempted cycling there in a bunch - I've never experienced anything like that (even in 2009).

With respect to the protesters I'm just going to say that myself (like most people) are fed up with the lawlessness and lack of action by authorities, and we cannot continue to allow this sort of behavior. For one we cannot afford it. I do, however, not believe that it resulted in the race being cancelled - although it might have contributed.

Regarding the weekend and can honestly say that it was one of the most fun-filled times of my life. We got to go to the expo, had lunch in a very nice local tavern in the city center, enjoyed the awesome trails at Meerendal and cycled around Blouberg, Melkbos, Koeberg and the beach front on the day before the race. On race day I got to cycle into the city and then from the finish back on the route. For the first time we went down into Llandudno where there was this big skateboard party going on (as there apparently is every year at the same time as the Argus). I also got to go up Champan's Peak on a really windy day!

I understand that a lot of people had very different intentions regarding the race, but one of my friends commented on the way back that we would not have gone down on Wednesday evening if we knew there was going to be no race and maybe just maybe we should do it more often...

I applaud you for positive attitude.

Thats why you had such a great time.

It would be so nice if all the Naysayer actually go sit in the JOC (Join operation center) one day when one of the countless meetings takes place sorting out all the nigley nonsense for this funride.

People forget that every little thing must be discusses, approved, orderered, installed and returned. From the name boards to the napkins (size, color, single, double, recyclable etc) at the end. To simply "move" a event aint a overnight thing.

Just the IT side is many months as new high sites for connectivity must be installed, tested and retested. (not to mention trying to get telkom to get stuff done in few months). Took us more than year to get just the medical aid stations to have enough connectivity on the day so that real time medical data can be obtained. (Temporary vodacom towers eveywhere) . Now add other things like generators, golf carts, tents, chairs, fencing security etc etc.

I would guess, it will be 2 - 3 years for things to change, if they change. But for now, lets just hope that we can do this funride again next year.

Karman - seriously, you guys are overdoing this. Just get Carbon29er on board and all will be well. [emoji23]

This was an opportunity for CTCC organizers to really shine.

I know it is in their fine print but realistically they could have apologized for the cancellation and perhaps compensated participants.

If I chose to cancel on a race, I totally accept all losses and forfeit everything but as for a race not even starting, I cannot see why the event organizers cannot carry some of the burden?

Either way....the CTCC has lost its appeal for me over the last several years. I am going to do 1 more to get 10 medal and then never again. Guys, why should we not boycott this race???

I would like to see the race to have an alternative start point (current one has been *** for a while now) as well as an alternative route for these types of emergencies (perhaps inland...scenery is just as good)...Im sure most cyclists also have vehicles so retorting shouldn't be such an issue...?

There are much better and cheaper races on the calendar.

Is boycotting a solution??

I think I will do so. Boycott that is. Wow, first time I've ever used that word. Doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth, but yeah, I'm not entering again unless there is some sort of recourse for entrants of this years event.

In other news, I saw a guy on a MTB with race number etc cycling towards Century City in the yellow lane on the N1. Think other people were also watching him because i heard a car slamming into the back of another slow moving vehicle in the fast lane. What a way to top off your morning by crashing into other cyclists making their disappointed way home. It wasn't at high speed though but enough to probably have wasted the bikes on the front car if they were on the rack.

I think I will do so. Boycott that is. Wow, first time I've ever used that word. Doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth, but yeah, I'm not entering again unless there is some sort of recourse for entrants of this years event.

Even if it is just a "reduced entry fee" for 2018.

As things are escalating year on year, that will help to offset the expected entry fee in the region of R550.00 

Boycott it, I'm not sure of that, mainly because of my own selfish goals. I plan to do 21 consecutive Argus /CTCT races, this year would have been no. 15 for me.  :angry:

Seeding events for 2018, in case anyone wants to start planning for next year:

http://www.capetowncycletour.com/information/seeding-events/

Date -  Event Name
28-Jan - The Value Logistics Fast One
04-Feb - Bestmed Berge en Dale Road Championship
11-Feb - 99er Cycle Tour
19-Feb - Dis-chem Ride for Sight
26-Feb - The Herald VW Cycle Tour
26-Feb - Tour de PPA
05-Mar - Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge
12-Mar - Cape Town Cycle Tour
23-Apr - Emperor’s Palace Road Classic
30-Apr - aQuelle Tour Durban
15-Jul - Bestmed Jock Classique
20-Aug - Bestmed Cycle4Cansa Championship
27-Aug - Daily Dispatch Cycle Tour
10-Sep - Rand Water Race for Victory
24-Sep - Pennypinchers Lions Karoo to Coast
01-Oct - Pennypinchers Cycle Tour
21-Oct - Bestmed Satellite Cycle Classic
22-Oct - Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic
22-Oct - PPA One Tonner 2017
23-Oct - Wilro Lions Cycle Challenge
29-Oct - Carnival City Macsteel National Classic Cycle Race
29-Oct - Carnival City Macsteel National Classic MTB (it's actually the 28th, not the 29th).
29-Oct - Manguang Cycle Tour
12-Nov - Telkom 947 MTB Challenge
19-Nov - Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge
TBC - Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Guys, the Argus is just a training ride for the DC [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no you didn't.... Edited by Boerklong

Seeding events for 2018, in case anyone wants to start planning for next year:

http://www.capetowncycletour.com/information/seeding-events/

Date -  Event Name
28-Jan - The Value Logistics Fast One
04-Feb - Bestmed Berge en Dale Road Championship
11-Feb - 99er Cycle Tour
19-Feb - Dis-chem Ride for Sight
26-Feb - The Herald VW Cycle Tour
26-Feb - Tour de PPA
05-Mar - Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge
12-Mar - Cape Town Cycle Tour
23-Apr - Emperor’s Palace Road Classic
30-Apr - aQuelle Tour Durban
15-Jul - Bestmed Jock Classique
20-Aug - Bestmed Cycle4Cansa Championship
27-Aug - Daily Dispatch Cycle Tour
10-Sep - Rand Water Race for Victory
24-Sep - Pennypinchers Lions Karoo to Coast
01-Oct - Pennypinchers Cycle Tour
21-Oct - Bestmed Satellite Cycle Classic
22-Oct - Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic
22-Oct - PPA One Tonner 2017
23-Oct - Wilro Lions Cycle Challenge
29-Oct - Carnival City Macsteel National Classic Cycle Race
29-Oct - Carnival City Macsteel National Classic MTB (it's actually the 28th, not the 29th).
29-Oct - Manguang Cycle Tour
12-Nov - Telkom 947 MTB Challenge
19-Nov - Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge
TBC - Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Only problem is, most of those will have a penalty by the time they do the seeding to the Argus.

Only problem is, most of those will have a penalty by the time they do the seeding to the Argus.

According to their rules, all premier seeding events have a 0 penalty.

edit:

Here's the link to their race specific seeding site - http://seeding.cycletour.co.za/findme.aspx?ss=2&eid=2017

The normal rules of +1 penalty for each month (after 5 or 6 months) is not applicable for the CTCT seeding. That's the reason the premier seeding events are listed. Any other event automatically gets a +5 penalty if less than 5 months old.

Edited by geraldm24

Wish everyone would just get over themselves (the moaners).

If you think you can do it better - go for it. Every one of your proposals can be shot down in flames in seconds (see all posts above). There is an argument for everything and many more against it.

It is impossible to please 35000 entrants, never mind the many more tens of thousands of people that surround the whole organisational infrastructure.

As hard as it is....you invest and you win OR lose. That's life. If you don't like the odds, sit on your couch and play video games.

One thing is certain: there is never any certainty. Ever.

Good luck to all at Cape Epic. See you there..... :clap: :w00t:

Guys I have 2 slightly used 2017 entries for sale. Including race pack & goodie bag.

I did use the one mini deo.

The one number was pinned to a race top but never made it to the start line

R1100 for both. You cover the substitution fee.

Edited by Duane_Bosch