SA Champs - Super Crappy Medals

Furbz

I'm gonna be honest with ya'll (and I'm not SA champ material in any age bracket so take this with a grain of salt) but if I just won SA Champs...

I wouldnt give a flying fudge about the medal. I would have this big ol' grin on my face for at least a few weeks. Surely that nice warm fuzzy feel a champion gets on the inside is worth at least....3 crappy medals? I dunno

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, and most of them are valid. This I like and encourage.

What I don't appreciate is when I get told by somebody else what my point is.

Cheers Im off, this thread has reached that point where the arguments are not about the original point anymore. Would prefer to use this energy else where.

http://replygif.net/i/1146.gif

if I just won SA Champs...

I wouldnt give a flying fudge about the medal. I would have this big ol' grin on my face for at least a few weeks. Surely that nice warm fuzzy feel a champion gets on the inside is worth at least....3 crappy medals? I dunno

I don't keep any of my participation medals, not even my Comrades one so I understand that for some people the gong is unimportant.

But, and it is a big but.

It is not for the organiser to make that descision. Their obligation is to award an appropriate medal.

For the premier national cycling event, the appropriate medal must reflect that. It must be THE premium medal. Anything less is disrespectful.

OP here. 

these are my father's medals

Flies away...

Well done to your old man then

Sorry about the poor quality medal... I agree it looks shocking and how anyone could hand that out to persons who took the effort to train and compete for SA champs is beyond me.

Medals are important symbols.

It is a powerful piece of evidence / token that can invoke all the memories and feelings of a powerful accomplishment.

Swak, CSA.

C'mon. Just once a year, make it count.

this oke also has a box of medals.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VnUAAOSw3v5YnOF5/s-l300.jpg

I know it's not really relevant to the thread, but not much else is currently so there you go.

While we can all have different opinions on the merits of issuing medals - the big bugger up for me (as others have said) is that it is not a particular difficult or expensive thing to do right, it should be a basic "run of the mill" non-event type task for a national sports body to do.

Ahhh medals - I have a love/hate relationship with them. My "normal" medals are all in a some boxes in a cupboard somewhere. My special medals are hung with pride.

Medals should be special - participation medals are a bit "everybody wins" to me. Medals at provincial and national champs should be top quality items. This is a disgrace.

I'm gonna be honest with ya'll (and I'm not SA champ material in any age bracket so take this with a grain of salt) but if I just won SA Champs...

Spot on :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I actually think its a classy medal , typical SA style. And representing the SA Champ,

Why do we want another countries style for our national champs?

:clap:  :clap:

There a saying.1 man se poplap is n ander se skoplap ...all about perspective.

Might be the ugliest one I have( Unfortunately not gold), but can guarantee you that when I look at that ugly medal it puts the biggest smile on my face, non of the other "Good looking ones come close to that"

:thumbup:

The above is how I personally feel about this and if your views are different to mine, I am in no way saying that yours are wrong :thumbup:

Edited by Stricker

I actually think its a classy medal , typical SA style. And representing the SA Champ,

Might be the ugliest one I have( Unfortunately not gold), but can guarantee you that when I look at that ugly medal it puts the biggest smile on my face, non of the other "Good looking ones come close to that"

The above is how I personally feel about this and if your views are different to mine, I am in no way saying that yours are wrong :thumbup:

CONGRATS ON 3RD PLACE SUB VET!!!!

What a story to tell the kids, hope your legacy continues!

Cant wait to race against you on that level  :w00t:

A few pictures of the Gold medal handed out at the South African Champs that recently took place in the Cape.

i have no words

just wow. 

i would feel ashamed awarding and honoring the best cycling athletes in our country with this crap.

for anyone wondering, it's not a blurred picture. the printing on the medals is just that bad.

CSA you can do a lot better!

attachicon.gifDSC_0809.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0810.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0813.JPG

picture of 94.7 Gold medal for comparative reference.

attachicon.gifDSC_0814.JPG

Good looking 947 medal. Is that from 2016 race?

It seems as if some people don't care about the medal.

To me, it's not about whether you like the medal or not, it's about how the CSA values their athletes and ultimately paying members. It's about how they value the status of the sport.

If they cared about their athletes, they would want to give them the best. If they ranked themselves as one of the top sports, they would want to honour that status and give out professional medals.

im sure the same wouldnt be said by a lotto winner :ph34r:  :ph34r:

as you said perspective :whistling:

It seems as if some people don't care about the medal.

To me, it's not about whether you like the medal or not, it's about how the CSA values their athletes and ultimately paying members. It's about how they value the status of the sport.

If they cared about their athletes, they would want to give them the best. If they ranked themselves as one of the top sports, they would want to honour that status and give out professional medals.

very well said :thumbup: