Willie Smit

FootballingCyclist

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait till his coach see's this, dan is hy in die *** 

It's not like he has anything coming up he can't be fatigued for, so I doubt it.

Ja sure i was just kidding

Altho… I'm not sure such a long ride would normally be on a training plan for a pro

Just think of the sudden increase in time on the saddle and the saddle chaff / sore perspective 

He had Mande seeing to his every need

Very true. But it's quite funny people find it strange. When you Marry you best friend and you support each other...(obviously I'm extremely grateful). But have anyone stop to think if your wife doesn't want to have anything to do with your activities/life there might be some other problems. Anyways it was a nice challenge decided on last minute. And look forward to the next one. Thanks to those that came to join. Was hard keeping the wheels especially every acceleration made to stay in the groups really F@#$ our legs ????

Smit dabbled in a number of sports through his teens: he was a regional chess champion, played rugby and was a talented golfer as a teenager, before losing interest in “playing on my own everyday hitting 500 golf balls”.

Smit took up adventure racing. The physicality and self-reliance of that, perhaps, allowed him to draw on the deep wellspring of resilience he’d been forced to develop as a child.

From adventure racing, he discovered a passion for mountain biking, and then, road cycling

didn't know that about AR...but chess, as a kid who bunked school his grandparents got him to sit down and conentrate on pawns and rooks?

surely there's more to it than that, sounds a bit Good Will Hunting

Chess is a beautiful practice. Takes away all distractions. And sometimes distraction is needed to get rid of bad habits and get back on road. If you think Chess is about staring at Paws & rooks your mistaken. Perhaps you should shift focus and spend less time and effort being a keyboard worrier than spreading controversy. You see there are those that hate and those that inspire. Not hard to spot them. More than ever we need those that inspire. Choose which one of those you want to be remembered as. Edited by WillieSmurfy

Took a few small breaks as I understand, but yeah basically.

Edit. He started yesterday at 00:01.

In Total 2h rest. That included small naps and nature breaks. Goal was not to see how fast the 1000km can be done as we wanted to climb 8000m+ aswell. So could have gone considerably faster if a flat route was chosen and if you really/possible wanted to damage yourself could have upped the pace. Consistent lap times and well planned schedule was the main focus to keep up with.

He's here!!!

tell us some stories!

howzit !!!

Ask anything? I'll follow the thread all day, haven't been on here since I got accused for not stopping properly at a 4way stop in Paarl on my youtube video. Oops did I just open old wounds ...

It’s important to note that he wasn’t alone in this ride. Pete Seyffert also did it.

Yes. I send him a message the day before late at night. "I'm doing a 1000km on Zwift"...he simply replied he will be joining. What a champ! We still have the hard men of SA cycling alive!

Yes. I send him a message the day before late at night. "I'm doing a 1000km on Zwift"...he simply replied he will be joining. What a champ! We still have the hard men of SA cycling alive!

Flip dis 1002km meer as ek die lockdown.

Well done.

Yes, low cadence. The first thing that kicks in when fatigue hit. A higher cadence would also just create more saddle sores!

Thought it was perhaps those low cadence, big blade torque intervals.

He's here!!!

tell us some stories!

howzit !!!

Ask anything? I'll follow the thread all day, haven't been on here since I got accused for not stopping properly at a 4way stop in Paarl on my youtube video. Oops did I just open old wounds ...

I assume Everesting is next? ;)

Thought it was perhaps those low cadence, big blade torque intervals.

Big blade intervals during a 1000km ride, MSP, we are talking about Willie not Riis!