Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Awesome to say that in such a black and white way without trying to justify perceptions at the time. kudos.

Looking back quickly at those initial posts, the one that still sticks out to me 5 years later is the fear that wankers are going to be just that and there is no easy way to control ebike wankers and the damage they can cause to trails (and cycling reputation and large). For me it is simple, education and acceptance - if we don't have a big analogue vs ebikers fight, then it's better for everyone.

I have thankfully not come across any wankers while riding . . .

Also, the folks passing me on e-bikes while I'm out on the trails have never been anything but polite, albeit somewhat "smirky" as they pass. I usually silence their jesting by making "braaaap" "braaap" sounds. They seem to find that somewhat offensive and tend to pedal faster to get away.

On an aside, during the late 80's my folks took a trip to Greece which included a bit of a cruise and a stop at Santorini island. The tender dropped them at the pier where they were met by a rather lengthy switchback climb up some stairs to the top. At some point of the climb, there was a view point and graffitied onto the wall was the instruction to "wank here" . . . I digress

24 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Awesome to say that in such a black and white way without trying to justify perceptions at the time. kudos.

I think they are great and any negative comments I make are 100% out of jealousy.

As an aside there's a company called Stark making an electric motocross bike called the Varg. It claims the same range as a motocross bike with a full tank of gas. The full monty one produces up to EIGHTY bhp and is fully tunable. So it can emulate anything from a 125cc 2 stroke up to an 80 bhp firebreathing monster. For reference a 450 motocross bike makes around 50 bhp and that's generally way more than enough.

Now if Asics could please make some E-running shoes for me......

5 year plan here. We are planning a move to the KZN Midlands and e-bikes will definitely be in our future. I'm all about the descents and dragging up those hills kills the body.

I did my time on the hills during my XC days. Now I ride to relax and 100% for my mental health. I want to extract the maximum enjoyment out of a ride.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I dunno hey, Greg Minnaar looks rather cool on his. I dunno if that's because of who he is or if its his bike . . . 

I am  considering to buy  an e bike. After 30 years of cycling my legs are no longer what they used to be. Getting older is unforgiving .Especially in cycling . An ebike allows you   to climb  that 1 or 2 kays faster than what you can do on your bike.. Not to prove a point or to chase other younger riders but , simply but to flow with other riders and not to have to pull off continuously on the single tracks to allow faster riders to come through.. The cool factor is not something I consider at all. 

23 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I have thankfully not come across any wankers while riding . . .

Also, the folks passing me on e-bikes while I'm out on the trails have never been anything but polite, albeit somewhat "smirky" as they pass. I usually silence their jesting by making "braaaap" "braaap" sounds. They seem to find that somewhat offensive and tend to pedal faster to get away.

On an aside, during the late 80's my folks took a trip to Greece which included a bit of a cruise and a stop at Santorini island. The tender dropped them at the pier where they were met by a rather lengthy switchback climb up some stairs to the top. At some point of the climb, there was a view point and graffitied onto the wall was the instruction to "wank here" . . . I digress

I normally respond with "dont be like that, organise a tow up this damn hill!!"

There has been an explosion of e-bikes riding up chapman's peak - both sides. 

Given that real cyclists are exempted from paying the toll fee and going round the booms while motorbikes have to pay the toll, shouldn't e-bike also have to pay the toll?  The smallest moped which likely has less kw than a fancy e-bike have to pay, so why not the e-bikes?

20 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

Given that real cyclists are exempted from paying the toll fee and going round the booms while motorbikes have to pay the toll, shouldn't e-bike also have to pay the toll?  The smallest moped which likely has less kw than a fancy e-bike have to pay, so why not the e-bikes?

21 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

sssssshhhhh,, I am very sure we dont want to give our government any possible loop holes to get everyone to pay, that might just be their "logic"

2 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I cant have one, so no, they shouldnt be on the mountain.....🤣

I rode behind someone (on their eBike) on some gnarly single track; lots of rocks in the riding line, as well as on both sides of the trail (your typical Overberg track in the mountains).

He had the power on through a section that drops off (not quite a rolldown, but also not a drop off) - it was a V profile; rideable, but steepish on the entry and exit, where freewheeling through it would be better. As he had the power on, he misjudged the speed required and (1) blew his tyre off the rim when he hit the exit part of the V, and (2) ended up in the sticks with the bike still wanting to go (a bit of exaggeration there, as it's pedal assist). Wish I had my GoPro that day, it was really funny to watch from behind.

Forgive the jargon use; I'm predominantly a roadie.