Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

4 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

This is the exact opposite of what I’d want from a bike - sounds like a dystopian nightmare in which zwift and reality merge 

but it will happen 

A Philip K Dick bike!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

This is the exact opposite of what I’d want from a bike - sounds like a dystopian nightmare in which zwift and reality merge 

but it will happen 

That is what I see happening for E-Bikes, naturally aspirated bikes would still have the user being dialed into tech via a their devices worn on their bodies.

42 minutes ago, Hairy said:

as much as I hate to admit it, but e-bikes are the future

I would like to see the next major evolution though, the same way cellphones became smartphones.

displays with navigation (Think gravel bikes for example)

more visual interface with the bike and app on your phone .. being able to input information like a new chain fitted or fork serviced, etc with a projected replacement or next service interval that would in turn give you notice a couple of hours of km before you need to check, service or replace these items.

integration with wireless shifting (And wireless drive trains coming down in price)

simple things like showing tyre and suspension pressure

setting up your suspension via your bicycles interface panel

tons more that can happen.

How many people will buy this R350k bike! 

Did a long ride(130)  with an assortment of riders last weekend ... 2 e-bike riders as well. The interesting part was that they had a bit of a discussion before we set off regarding their 'strategy' as far as battery usage would be. 

I guess it is something that has been mentioned and will become normal for e-bike riders like nutrition and energy.

33 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

but it will happen 

Hiehie ....

"sad" reality is that most of the items on @Hairy's list is already on most ebikes.

Pair with the phone app and most of it is there already .... just need to mount the phone to use all this data while riding.

Pairing this with electric gear shifters .... pretty sure the designers are already testing the tech ..... set a prefered cadence/heart rate/ power level/ etc and the bike does it all while you pedal ...... looking at some riders out there it may not be a bad idea .... :ph34r:  Only issue being that to really get the best out of the motor you need to "pre-shift" to get the cadence right before the inclines ....

Electro-magnetic shocks .... technology already exists on various motorcycles.  Would make a nice war of words to find out if this is better than the various "brain shocks" out there .....

PERSONALLY .... I would gladly sacrifice some of the existing functions in favour of more affordable ebikes.  THIS was a big part of our discussion on Saturday.  The gent KNOWS his next step is getting an ebike .... but the typical entry level full suspension ebikes from the main brands start arounf R100k ... thats just absurd.  

31 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

How many people will buy this R350k bike! 

There will always be those who are lucky or addicted enough to do so.

But the pricing needs to come down.

27 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Did a long ride(130)  with an assortment of riders last weekend ... 2 e-bike riders as well. The interesting part was that they had a bit of a discussion before we set off regarding their 'strategy' as far as battery usage would be. 

I guess it is something that has been mentioned and will become normal for e-bike riders like nutrition and energy.

Batteries are really still in their infancy, and the motors too. There are surely some clever people out their that would be pushing these boundaries very hard now with a shift in focus globally to e-mobility.

I think the market that is really going to see exciting development (In the cycling field) are commuter bikes. Weight, range, quick charging, efficient motors, etc.

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Hiehie ....

"sad" reality is that most of the items on @Hairy's list is already on most ebikes.

Pair with the phone app and most of it is there already .... just need to mount the phone to use all this data while riding.

Pairing this with electric gear shifters .... pretty sure the designers are already testing the tech ..... set a prefered cadence/heart rate/ power level/ etc and the bike does it all while you pedal ...... looking at some riders out there it may not be a bad idea .... :ph34r:  Only issue being that to really get the best out of the motor you need to "pre-shift" to get the cadence right before the inclines ....

Electro-magnetic shocks .... technology already exists on various motorcycles.  Would make a nice war of words to find out if this is better than the various "brain shocks" out there .....

PERSONALLY .... I would gladly sacrifice some of the existing functions in favour of more affordable ebikes.  THIS was a big part of our discussion on Saturday.  The gent KNOWS his next step is getting an ebike .... but the typical entry level full suspension ebikes from the main brands start arounf R100k ... thats just absurd.  

Price is what will make e-bikes unattainable for me. I could not justify spending that amount of money on a bicycle when I am putting my boys through school, and still need to put them through university. 
They could always just busk outside the bottle store, or pack the shelves at PnP so that I could get my e-bike right now, but I may feel a little guilty about this on the first ride :P 

My dad (in his 60s) just got an avalanche mte. Cost him R24k (ie dirt cheap for an ebike). It's never gonna be used to film the Cape epic, but you know what? We can now do a 50k ride where he keeps up with me the entire ride, and we can chat and have fun. It's an amazing equaliser, and a complete game changer for him. 

Edited by MongooseMan

Saw a lady doing hill repeats in Pretoria this morning on an infamous hill called WTF on her e-bike.

Absolutely flying past us, full power for sure, and will probably claim her top 10 QOM on Strava too.

I've owned one, don't have it anymore. Will I get another one? No ways.. maybe when I'm 85 years old.

They have a place, I think, but not for what majority of people use them for.

I frequent hermanus too, and the amount of guys I see riding up and down Main road on their Dual Sus Turbo Levos makes me burst out laughing everytime.

1 hour ago, NotSoBigBen said:

The biggest trouble that comes with e-bikes is ‘ battery range anxiety’ 😩

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Two of my "friends" (Can you really call a person who used to be your friend a friend when they get an e-bike) bout Trek Rails this past week.

They are very DH focused, and they are lapping up the climbs to bomb the descents again.....so it is really working for them.

This is exactly what I did in Durbanville when I lived there. Made perfect sense. I also had a Spez Camber so I enjoyed best of both. Also see this old, old Toppie riding with his younger mates on his e-bike and he can keep up. Always puts a smile on my face.

They do have a place imo. But as always there are always the others too.

11 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

The biggest trouble that comes with e-bikes is ‘ battery range anxiety’ 😩

You quickly learn to plan ... 😋

Still, going out to do a 120+km ride .... you dial down the assist and work hard, saving the battery for the hills ....

Ebikes are not the future. They might replace a small segment of the "normal" bike market but the development path will be more parallel to the existing market than replacement of it.

A great option for getting people of uneven ability to ride together but I cannot see a future where grand tours and classics will be raced on ebikes...

In all the years i been riding my wife has ridden like twice, the last time was at Northern Farms many years back- When we got home she said "that's it I'm done, I cannot do this sport, its just to much suffering for me"

Fast Forward to last week - I pulled out the old SCOTT 26er 3 X 9 she rode at NF washed it off, i was gonna donate it and then thought mmmmm maybe an ebike project will get her back in the saddle, nothing serious, just get out and do 25 or 30 k's at modders or NF a few times a month. Our kids are out the house and we sit and stare at each other like 2 meerkats, wondering WTF happened to our lives, what do we do now.

So i be looking at the midmount or rear hub motor - upgrade it to 1 X 10, I already have an X9 type 2 Rd laying in the spares box  next to a set of X7 brakes.

EBikes technology is getting  lot of people out there that wouldn't normally be on the trails, which is good - more riders make it safer and more riders means new trails will open, win win for everone. 

8 minutes ago, madmarc said:

In all the years i been riding my wife has ridden like twice, the last time was at Northern Farms many years back- When we got home she said "that's it I'm done, I cannot do this sport, its just to much suffering for me"

Fast Forward to last week - I pulled out the old SCOTT 26er 3 X 9 she rode at NF washed it off, i was gonna donate it and then thought mmmmm maybe an ebike project will get her back in the saddle, nothing serious, just get out and do 25 or 30 k's at modders or NF a few times a month. Our kids are out the house and we sit and stare at each other like 2 meerkats, wondering WTF happened to our lives, what do we do now.

So i be looking at the midmount or rear hub motor - upgrade it to 1 X 10, I already have an X9 type 2 Rd laying in the spares box  next to a set of X7 brakes.

EBikes technology is getting  lot of people out there that wouldn't normally be on the trails, which is good - more riders make it safer and more riders means new trails will open, win win for everone. 

Kids out the house ........... Can't wait for that myself :P

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Kids out the house ........... Can't wait for that myself :P

You seriously need to prepare for it, your whole life changes, you have to re-invent your relationship with your spouse. What you had before the kids came along is gone never to return. I know couples who got divorced after their kids left home, they couldn't put up with each other.

Maybe eBikes will save marriages 🤣