Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Steam bikes are dying here in NZ. 

I see more e bikes on a day to day basis than steam bikes.

BUT, here in NZ you can buy an ebike from R3000 all the way up to R200K.

The bikes range from commuter run arounds to mean downhill machines and everything in between.

But that said, Tesla's are also a common sighting and they are awesome to drive 😉

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, trolling the ebike forums and topics. Does anyone know any supplier locally for third party booster battery packs for ebikes. I am looking for either. spare battery or a battery booster pack for my wife's bike - any ideas of anyone who i ports. Its a Specialized Turbo Levo - older model not the current one.

I wonder if there's scope for a solar powered top up charger - just add a nice flat panel to the top of your helmut and wire it to your lithium.

5 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Hi all, trolling the ebike forums and topics. Does anyone know any supplier locally for third party booster battery packs for ebikes. I am looking for either. spare battery or a battery booster pack for my wife's bike - any ideas of anyone who i ports. Its a Specialized Turbo Levo - older model not the current one.

Paul sure the up.country riders will know of the local spots ....

Failing which, speak to Louise at Knipe_Racing, Durbanville.

Just now, ChrisF said:

Paul sure the up.country riders will know of the local spots ....

Failing which, speak to Louise at Knipe_Racing, Durbanville.

nope i have googled flat out. Do you know contact details. Lost of people make battery packs but your cant import them.

Knipe_Racing is an idependant bike workshop.

They are one of the best in the Western Cape.

They also work on ebikes, including motor services, the lot.

Sure Louise will know the options for batteries.

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Knipe_Racing is an idependant bike workshop.

They are one of the best in the Western Cape.

They also work on ebikes, including motor services, the lot.

Sure Louise will know the options for batteries.

Thanks Chris - i have literally looked everywhere for these and yes they do them. Will get one from them when i am down there. 

21 hours ago, copperhead said:

I like ebikes. They give me motivation to go faster and ride harder... not smarter. And anyone who says they have beaten me on an ebike 😂🤣 

Just ride further; eventually the ebike will run out of juice; then you will have the last laugh for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Heck, YES.

Met up with two riders exploring the trails this morning.  They started up towards the mast with us .... one gent walked various climbs ....

At that steep climb to the dam I lent him my ebike ... he was laughing out loud riding up that steep section 🤣🤣

These bikes open up a world of possibilities ....

Screenshot_20220115-142558_WhatsApp.jpg.4e57fd631adcba755fa68e4c8843c2af.jpg

as much as I hate to admit it, but e-bikes are the future

I would like to see the next major evolution though, the same way cellphones became smartphones.

displays with navigation (Think gravel bikes for example)

more visual interface with the bike and app on your phone .. being able to input information like a new chain fitted or fork serviced, etc with a projected replacement or next service interval that would in turn give you notice a couple of hours of km before you need to check, service or replace these items.

integration with wireless shifting (And wireless drive trains coming down in price)

simple things like showing tyre and suspension pressure

setting up your suspension via your bicycles interface panel

tons more that can happen.

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I would like to see the next major evolution though, the same way cellphones became smartphones.

more visual interface with the bike and app on your phone .. being able to input information like a new chain fitted or fork serviced, etc with a projected replacement or next service interval that would in turn give you notice a couple of hours of km before you need to check, service or replace these items.

integration with wireless shifting (And wireless drive trains coming down in price)

Sounds like my car. A lot of expensive stuff that can go wrong.

15 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Sounds like my car. A lot of expensive stuff that can go wrong.

In this day and age the expensive stuff has no reason to be expensive anymore.

Look at the Havaal top of the range (and even entry) cars, the level of tech that you get for "not a lot of money" compared to the competition.

The world needs to make the leap into integrating technology and be done with it.

The same way cars could only ever be affordable for the really rich, then Henry Ford came around.

EDIT: To add to the above, cycling as a whole has become far too expensive.

Edited by Hairy

Why do people 'hate to admit it' when they admit to liking e-bikes?

e-bikes are awesome. 

Kids riding with dads, dads riding with kids, multiple big runs in a day before lunch, more people able to ride bikes longer, later in life.... There are so many positives and most of the 'negatives' involve ego and racing, which is dumb anyway.

I can't afford one and, truth be told, I'm a roadie these days, but when I can afford one, I will buy one and thrash around Tokai like a purrring kitten

26 minutes ago, Hairy said:

This is the exact opposite of what I’d want from a bike - sounds like a dystopian nightmare in which zwift and reality merge 

but it will happen