Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

As a recent convert the thing is addictive for sure. Two issues; one, weight, I battle to even get the thing on a bike rack (the Thule ones are just a little small) and two, scared of water in a wet KZN. I suddenly realised that not clever to merrily plunge into a stream of unknown depth!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, madmarc said:

You seriously need to prepare for it, your whole life changes, you have to re-invent your relationship with your spouse. What you had before the kids came along is gone never to return. I know couples who got divorced after their kids left home, they couldn't put up with each other.

Maybe eBikes will save marriagesĀ šŸ¤£

Indeed. I've experienced it as a real loss. A significant life role not ending but changing massively. On the one hand a pleasure to see the growth on the other an exercise in letting go.

Ā 

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

Two of my "friends" (Can you really call a person who used to be your friend a friend when they get an e-bike) bout Trek Rails this past week.

They are very DH focused, and they are lapping up the climbs to bomb the descents again.....so it is really working for them.

Ā 

See you talking about me again....

You are right, we only ride for the downhills, that's our thing. We have done the XC racing thing etc etc, but we love the technical long downhills and over the last year that is all we focused on. The e-bike just makes this love for the type of riding we do even bigger.Ā 

A great example is the downhill from the mast at Contermans to the bottom. Before we could do 2 of them in a morning at great effort and on the second time you go down you are so tired you dont enjoy the downhill. Now we can go do it 4 times in a row and still enjoy each run.

48 minutes ago, ChristiaanSt said:

See you talking about me again....

You are right, we only ride for the downhills, that's our thing. We have done the XC racing thing etc etc, but we love the technical long downhills and over the last year that is all we focused on. The e-bike just makes this love for the type of riding we do even bigger.Ā 

A great example is the downhill from the mast at Contermans to the bottom. Before we could do 2 of them in a morning at great effort and on the second time you go down you are so tired you dont enjoy the downhill. Now we can go do it 4 times in a row and still enjoy each run.

I have also migrated from riding far (marathon style) , to riding MUCH less distance wise, but I spend the same amount of time on my bike doing repeats of trails like Black Rhino 1 & 2 from the mast. I agree, two laps on my Camber and I'm poked and end up pushing to the top of Black Rhino 2 for maybe another two runs before I'm completely knackered. I would also think that an e-bike is made for this type of riding too.

13 hours ago, BrentCGP said:

Saw a lady doing hill repeats in Pretoria this morning on an infamous hill called WTF on her e-bike.

Absolutely flying past us, full power for sure, and will probably claim her top 10 QOM on Strava too.

I've owned one, don't have it anymore. Will I get another one? No ways.. maybe when I'm 85 years old.

They have a place, I think, but not for what majority of people use them for.

I frequent hermanus too, and the amount of guys I see riding up and down Main road on their Dual Sus Turbo Levos makes me burst out laughing everytime.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

What's so funny about somebody cycling along Main road Hermanus? They are probably cycling to/from Hemel en Aarde trails as part of their warm up/cool down. Can I assume that you would put your bike on the bike rack to drive to to the trails?

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

as much as I hate to admit it, but e-bikes are the future

I would like to see the next major evolution though, the same way cellphones became smartphones.

displays with navigation (Think gravel bikes for example)

more visual interface with the bike and app on your phone .. being able to input information like a new chain fitted or fork serviced, etc with a projected replacement or next service interval that would in turn give you notice a couple of hours of km before you need to check, service or replace these items.

integration with wireless shifting (And wireless drive trains coming down in price)

simple things like showing tyre and suspension pressure

setting up your suspension via your bicycles interface panel

tons more that can happen.

Sounds all well but then but shouldnt bikes be low maintenance simplistic modes of transport.

16 hours ago, Hairy said:

as much as I hate to admit it, but e-bikes are the future

I would like to see the next major evolution though, the same way cellphones became smartphones.

displays with navigation (Think gravel bikes for example)

more visual interface with the bike and app on your phone .. being able to input information like a new chain fitted or fork serviced, etc with a projected replacement or next service interval that would in turn give you notice a couple of hours of km before you need to check, service or replace these items.

integration with wireless shifting (And wireless drive trains coming down in price)

simple things like showing tyre and suspension pressure

setting up your suspension via your bicycles interface panel

tons more that can happen.

A lot of that is already there .... Ā actually all of that is already there if you have the $$

6 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

Sounds all well but then but shouldnt bikes be low maintenance simplistic modes of transport.

Exactly and that is why an Ebike is a different category of "cycling" much like electric skateboards!

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

Kids out the house ........... Can't wait for that myself :P

Save up Boet, it's hugely expensive...... spending the equivalent of 8 brand new top-end bikes on my Laatlammetjie's further education over the next four years....

13 hours ago, madmarc said:

You seriously need to prepare for it, your whole life changes, you have to re-invent your relationship with your spouse. What you had before the kids came along is gone never to return. I know couples who got divorced after their kids left home, they couldn't put up with each other.

Maybe eBikes will save marriagesĀ šŸ¤£

All I hear you say is that I can go away on long cycling or motorcycling trips .... with or without the wife.

I will be ok, but the kids are everything to the wife ....... fortunately we know this day will come and our intention is to travel and just get out the house. Seeing as we are young parents, this should be very viable.

1 minute ago, TIB said:

Save up Boet, it's hugely expensive...... spending the equivalent of 8 brand new top-end bikes on my Laatlammetjie's further education over the next four years....

We started a fund when they were born for their tertiary education ....so that will take the initial sting out of things, and we make sure we live a sensible lifestyle with no debt or fancy cars (Or fancy bikes / e-bikes) as we know what is still to come :(

16 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

This is the exact opposite of what Iā€™d want from a bike - sounds like a dystopian nightmare in which zwift and reality mergeĀ 

but it will happenĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

I'm with you Wayne. I don't want all that info, I just want to ride my bike. As it is I don't even know things like my tyre pressure, shock pressure and settings, etc.

I was down at my bike mechanic on Friday and he had a couple of e-mtbs in stock. Beautiful until he told me the price. Ā£5200. Canā€™t see that in my near future.Ā 
Ā 

Was out with a mate at a trail centre yesterday and it was insane how many folks were passing us on ebikes in the hills. I reckon maybe 50% of all the bikes we saw (maybe 100 bikes or so) were ebikes, so no doubt they are becoming normal. I just canā€™t see how they will take over unless the prices drop significantlyĀ 

One thing no one has mentioned is the maintenance costs around the ebikes. Battery lifespan( I think this is 3 years) and cost to replace or fix. Motor lifespan and cost to replace or fix. Then drivetrain parts. Chains are ebike specific, are cassettes and chainrings as well?Ā 

I mentioned before, I rather buy myself another car or a motorbike. But I first choice would be to put that money towards investing in holiday accommodation.Ā 

53 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

One thing no one has mentioned is the maintenance costs around the ebikes. Battery lifespan( I think this is 3 years) and cost to replace or fix. Motor lifespan and cost to replace or fix. Then drivetrain parts. Chains are ebike specific, are cassettes and chainrings as well?Ā 

I mentioned before, I rather buy myself another car or a motorbike. But I first choice would be to put that money towards investing in holiday accommodation.Ā 

Fair point. I suppose for someone like me, who tends to drag a mtb with if I travel overseas, I wouldnā€™t be able to do so with an ebike, at least without some significant drama

1 hour ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Ā 

2 years and almost 4Ā  000km later here is my experience with this -

Ā 

- drive train ... STANDARD Shimano 11 speed cassette.Ā  First one was swopped out by the bike shop at 2 000km, still in perfect condition and will go back on.Ā  2nd unit still perfect condition.Ā  (bike shop swopped it out due to a ticking sound which they could not trace)

Ā 

- chain ... uhm ja .... despite all the hype, just a standard chainĀ  (not the entry level cheapy)Ā  Less than 0,25% wear on the first 2000km chain, will also go back on the bike.Ā  Current chain also less than 0,25% wear.

Ā 

- I did buy a second battery, wanting to do longer distances.Ā  R20k for Giant batteries, bit more for Specialized .... R5k for many of the other "lesser" brands".Ā  Actually paid R2k for the second battery for my Darrvin, discounted as part of the bike purchase.Ā  Ride Control App suggests these batteries are still 98%.

Ā 

- Motor .... turns out the ticking sound was a bearing in the motor.Ā  Replaced under warantee.Ā  Still want to ask Louise at Knipe_Racing what he would charge for this service ....

Ā 

- BRAKES .... this bike certainly is heavier on brake pads than my previous bikes.Ā  But this is cheap.

Ā 

- Battery charging .... A typical charge is about 1kW.h, so about R2-40 in the Western Cape.Ā  I now charge this from PVĀ :P

Ā 

- Shocks etc is much the same ....

Ā 

- Software check ... some shops charge extra for this at a service .... some dont .....Ā  Ā With the Giant you do your own software upgrades from the Ride Control App.Ā  The bike shop needs to plug it into their system during the service to check for faults ....Ā 

Ā 

- tires .... the Giant certainly is heavy on tires.Ā  Or am now riding that faster ... Or is it just the type of tire that wears quickly .... for the terrain and type of riding I do I am sticking to these agrressive tires.Ā  Thankfully the tires are "only" R700 each at CWC.Ā  Actually picked up two tires this morning.Ā  Actually, was just over R600 each after club discount and some voucher.

Edited by ChrisF