Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't believe how big the ebike industry is over here at the moment.Shops opening all over just selling Ebikes.It's like the craze for kiddies quad bikes a few years back.I have seen where they are useful but still don't belong on the trails or in races.

the-dude.jpg

Don't really see the point of the argument.

It's not like they generate so much power that they destroy the trails and if it gives someone the chance to ride more trails than they otherwise could why deny them it.

Yes on the Darling race there was a couple of ebikes and it sucked to see them fly by on the hills but only made me push harder.

Don't really see the point of the argument.

It's not like they generate so much power that they destroy the trails and if it gives someone the chance to ride more trails than they otherwise could why deny them it.

Yes on the Darling race there was a couple of ebikes and it sucked to see them fly by on the hills but only made me push harder.

The argument isn't really about whether they belong on the trails - I think a consensus has been reached long ago by everyone that e-bikes are cool on the trails. It's the whole argument of whether they belong in races that is still going. Lots of valid points for both sides of the argument have been made...

the-dude.jpg

Yeah it is only my opinion but chat to the rescue guys in Germany and they'll agree.They are taking at least one ebike rider per week off the trails with serious injuries because of the speed and lack of skill.The rescues cost a fortune and the helicopters can be used to airlift more serious car crash victims.This week alone there have been 4 around here and summer holidays are only starting.

Shops are pushing the bikes out and not cared about the skill of the rider or what he wants to do with the bike.

The argument isn't really about whether they belong on the trails - I think a consensus has been reached long ago by everyone that e-bikes are cool on the trails. It's the whole argument of whether they belong in races that is still going. Lots of valid points for both sides of the argument have been made...

no I get that but it's not like the are going to finish on the podium the race snakes dropped those ebikes like they ran out of battery juice. ????????I don't mind I don't ride to win they can do the races get their medal at the end just wouldn't be fair for them to finish on the podium obviously. Edited by Me rida my bicycle

Yeah it is only my opinion but chat to the rescue guys in Germany and they'll agree.They are taking at least one ebike rider per week off the trails with serious injuries because of the speed and lack of skill.The rescues cost a fortune and the helicopters can be used to airlift more serious car crash victims.This week alone there have been 4 around here and summer holidays are only starting.

Shops are pushing the bikes out and not cared about the skill of the rider or what he wants to do with the bike.

can't really blame the ebikes when I started I just wanted to go faster and faster riding for that wheeee down the other side and fell so many times it wouldn't have mattered if I was on a ebike or single speed not that I have ever rode an ebike on the trails can only imagine it would be slightly more effort with all that weight when it gets technical.

But I have seen people wanting to ride Walvenpas on a beach cruiser so it's more the idiot on top than the motor inside.

no I get that but it's not like the are going to finish on the podium the race snakes dropped those ebikes like they ran out of battery juice. ????????I don't mind I don't ride to win they can do the races get their medal at the end just wouldn't be fair for them to finish on the podium obviously.

Put the right guy on an e-bike and they will drop the pros without too much effort. Me (at 100kg and not particularly fit) took KOMs on 30min climbs where so big names (WC big) have posted times. Someone that is in racing shape and relatively fit will drop the pros without breaking a sweat on an e-bike.

PS: I deleted those rides from Strava afterwards ;)

Edited by I_my_own_bike

Put the right guy on an e-bike and they will drop the pros without too much effort. Me (at 100kg and not particularly fit) took KOMs on 30min climbs where so big names (WC big) have posted times. Someone that is in racing shape and relatively fit will drop the pros without breaking a sweat on an e-bike.

PS: I deleted those rides from Strava afterwards ;)

obviously yes I took a short spin on a ebike and it makes the world of difference makes going up feel like pedaling down hill. The guys on the ebikes where no racers that was clear on the descend but they where having a jol. As long as its for the fun of it I have no problem with them in the races, anyway pretty pointless racing on them there's no accomplishment. It's like bragging you won the pushcart race in a go-cart.

obviously yes I took a short spin on a ebike and it makes the world of difference makes going up feel like pedaling down hill. The guys on the ebikes where no racers that was clear on the descend but they where having a jol. As long as its for the fun of it I have no problem with them in the races, anyway pretty pointless racing on them there's no accomplishment. It's like bragging you won the pushcart race in a go-cart.

Yeah I completely where you are coming from, and for me the issue doesn't even lie with people saying I did race XYZ and it was on an e-bike - if you wanna fool yourself that is none of my business.

My issue lies in that beginners and less skilled riders are all of a sudden in the same riding viscinity as well skilled riders which is not an issue on Jeep track, but when it comes to single track and techy descents they cause congestion and the faster riders are stuck with nowhere to pass.

Yes, of course there are fit riders up there too with no skills doing the same thing, but they are there under their own steam and that makes it fair in my books. When you cause congestion, or even make the trails more dangerous because you are an inexperienced rider on a motorbike - then I have an issue. And that's why they don't belong in races...

So yeah, in the event you were it may not have been an issue, and I'm guessing most of the time guys will be cool and respect other riders. But, you will get the cminexperienced chops on ebikes trying to mix things up where they do not belong - and that's dangerous. Unfortunately those are the chops that ruins it for everyone. Allowing the chilled guys on ebikes means allowing the dicks too... so I think it's just better to ban e-bikes from races alltogether.

If there is enough interest create e-bike specific races or routes. The routes don't even have to be conpletely different from normal bike routes - organisers will just have to be smart and try spot potential problem areas and reroute e-bike traffic where possible...

Edited by I_my_own_bike

Darwin will sort them out?

Yeah I completely where you are coming from, and for me the issue doesn't even lie with people saying I did race XYZ and it was on an e-bike - if you wanna fool yourself that is none of my business.

My issue lies in that beginners and less skilled riders are all of a sudden in the same riding viscinity as well skilled riders which is not an issue on Jeep track, but when it comes to single track and techy descents they cause congestion and the faster riders are stuck with nowhere to pass.

Yes, of course there are fit riders up there too with no skills doing the same thing, but they are there under their own steam and that makes it fair in my books. When you cause congestion, or even make the trails more dangerous because you are an inexperienced rider on a motorbike - then I have an issue. And that's why they don't belong in races...

So yeah, in the event you were it may not have been an issue, and I'm guessing most of the time guys will be cool and respect other riders. But, you will get the cminexperienced chops on ebikes trying to mix things up where they do not belong - and that's dangerous. Unfortunately those are the chops that ruins it for everyone. Allowing the chilled guys on ebikes means allowing the dicks too... so I think it's just better to ban e-bikes from races alltogether.

If there is enough interest create e-bike specific races or routes. The routes don't even have to be conpletely different from normal bike routes - organisers will just have to be smart and try spot potential problem areas and reroute e-bike traffic where possible...

OK I see yes we had long climbs and lekker single track but for most parts passing wasn't a problem but yeah it will be frustrating sitting behind someone on a ebike holding you up especially if you put in the effort to get to the top and wanting to reap your reward and they "steel" it from you.

Suck it up guys! Any MTB can damage trails not only ebikes and please remember its still a pedal assist bike, I love mine for playing around.....yes people will give you comments while having fun, who cares what people think of me......i went for a ride to have fun!

My point.....I love my Epic and I love my LEVO. Period

#6 100%

I believe they don't belong on the mountain but do believe we have nothing to worry about.At the moment they are only been ridden by pro's or ambassadors pushing them for the big companies OR the just plain fat and lazy.

Won't take long before pro's and ambassadors go back to their normal bikes and the fat and lazy by nature just park them all in the garage never to be ridden again.So we will see them on the trail now and neth but before long you won't see any.

Don't be fooled by the big companies saying it's going to take over.

They all just imported a shitload of ebikes they want to get rid of.

How many fat bikes we see on the trails now days?

E-bikes have taken the world by storm, Europe have embraced them and the manufacturers are not going to stop. If it gets more people riding and spending in lbs then why not. I know an 80yr old that rides one on trails and another rider with a medical condition who enjoys cycling. Should they rather be on the couch?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

believe it or not, don't have that many German mountain rescue dudes to chat to here.

There was this guy

https://images.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FekMkFPuGKdc%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DekMkFPuGKdc&docid=qojq05zZuJ1lHM&tbnid=jPegUTcsPd8nVM%3A&vet=1&w=4096&h=2726&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

if your argument has got to something being stopped because it is dangerous for beginners then you're admitting that you have no argument

Yes yes yes, they fantastic. Not every one is super fit but they still lovE TO MTB. Also some people may have injury’s but still like MTBing and this allowes every one to love the trial. Don’t be so inconsiderate. I don’t have one but will get one as I get older...... as I don’t want to give up my MTBing.