Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sometimes?

the key question to ask is.....Why was Headshot riding so slow he got caught by a old lady on a ebike set to 15%??!!!??!!

Answer is obvious .... 26"

Cause he wasn’t on a 29er

Answer is obvious .... 26"

Seriously.......Like really???! Not even a 27.5 (?) cos 27.5 would be cool.

There were som e-bikes at the picket-bo-berg 'race' this weekend.

Most of the riders were pleasant, seriously cool and there for the jol. It was rad to see.

BUT people are still forgetting the flaw in this debate. 

Like most things, the masses are not where the problem is. The problem lies with people using these things for competitive gain.

E-bikes on the mountain = rad. E-bikes doing the short, fun, no prize money ride? Awesome.

E-bikes in the field of a big event where the winner can be assisted? No

I thin e-bikes are cool. The guys who drive them are generally cool too. As humans there will always be bad eggs with questionable morals skirting the 'technically it's not illegal' boundary which can only really be eliminated by eliminating the potential for that ground to be trodden.

The lady who rides a pedal assisted e-bike down the hill to be in control should look at taking up #endure

:eek:   joh...shots fired

and its not even Friday yet

Edited by DieselnDust

Seriously.......Like really???! Not even a 27.5 (?) cos 27.5 would be cool.

hey  .... I roll on 650B, so no hating here ... just like pocking a stick at Headshot :P

52 and half injured is the real problem...

I caught them up at the exit to the forest again - you know where its rocky. The eBike lady was doing okay. She did profess to like the eBike so she could enjoy the downs and have enough energy left to get home. I agree with this sentiment.

I am keen on a Kenevo, but not keen on the price of it or any of the other eBikes. 

On the subject of pricing - a rather nice KTM 390 naked bike is R75k brand new. That's about R25k less than a Kenevo. 

Edited by Headshot

hey  .... I roll on 650B, so no hating here ... just like pocking a stick at Headshot :P

I thought you just gazed at your 650b and rolling didn't really happen?

As long as they know that they are Mechanical Dopers, seen as Mechanical Dopers and willing to accept the fact they they are doping for whatever their reason may be, then I guess it is fine that they are around on the mountain, riding, doping and having some fun. Just do not talk to me...

But as known dopers they should not be allowed at races, taking part in races or have an organised event on the same day as none-dopers.  They certainly are welcome to have their own doping event on another day.  I think that will be fine, probably a great spectacle to watch...

I have an issue (I know it is weird in some way) with event organizers jumping on this band-wagon and supporting Mechanical Doping, and must say I have not entered events because of this... #justsaying

As long as they know that they are Mechanical Dopers, seen as Mechanical Dopers and willing to accept the fact they they are doping for whatever their reason may be, then I guess it is fine that they are around on the mountain, riding, doping and having some fun. Just do not talk to me...

But as known dopers they should not be allowed at races, taking part in races or have an organised event on the same day as none-dopers.  They certainly are welcome to have their own doping event on another day.  I think that will be fine, probably a great spectacle to watch...

I have an issue (I know it is weird in some way) with event organizers jumping on this band-wagon and supporting Mechanical Doping, and must say I have not entered events because of this... #justsaying

Wait, cycling doesn't allow doping... 

Well all right!!!

What if they have served their ban, will you talk to them then? What if they have a TUE for the eBike? 

I am just going to go and watch the Veulta quick with Valverde about to take a podium at 74 years old.

Wow...all the hate just make people sound like opinionated, closed minded, jealous old grumps.

Yes, yes they should be allowed everywhere a normal bicycle is.

And yes they should be allowed in races.

And yes again, they obviously should have their own category.

This is not exactly rocket science. Wow.

So I break out my 26" HT and head up and along the Neck to Newlands forest traverse yesterday. A couple catch me up. First hill after a  descent I see the woman is on my tail. Strange I think, I reckon I dropped them on the last descent. They ride behind me and I notice the barely audible hum  - ah, are those eBikes I ask. No, not eBikes - "pedal assist" bikes she says. In her mind an eBike has a throttle. I say, but they are called eBikes on every website I have read

She says, its set on 15%, it makes no difference at all. ( Okay, then why ride one?) If I switch it off on the downs it goes even faster because its so heavy. I switch it on to stay in control. 

I kid not, this really did happen. 

pedal assist/ebike, same thing really.

I think people want to call it pedal assist because it describes it better, and reduces the confusion between this and an electric motorbike (plenty of so called experts on this thread guilty of just that) which is a very different beast.

I know you've got a response to it, but the hypocrisy in your signature is still so funny when you take a hard line on this issue.

"There is no debate - ride what the **** you feel like... Skill and fitness trump wheel size 24/7."

Wow...all the hate just make people sound like opinionated, closed minded, jealous old grumps.

Yes, yes they should be allowed everywhere a normal bicycle is.

And yes they should be allowed in races.

And yes again, they obviously should have their own category.

This is not exactly rocket science. Wow.

Pump the victim brakes.

Please point out this “hate” you speak of? Labelling opposing opinions as hate doesn’t make it so.

Edit: Someone coming up with a silly justification for why they ride an eBike should carry the same criticism as any silly justtication, be it guns, diets, road vs MTB.

How about “I like eBikes” or “I don’t don’t like going up hills” or “I use it to commute so that I don’t sweat up on the way to work”.

EBikes are cool, most people who ride them are cool, but SOME come up with flimsey justifications as to why they want them. Let’s be honest, some people buy them because they don’t like struggling up hills, but instead of them just saying that (which is a very acceptable answer) they come up with some ***.

They sound like me when trying to justify to my wife why I need another bike. How about “I just want one”.

Edited by Patchelicious