Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Makes me think of the first PC my mom bought our household in the early 90's.

If memory serves it was a Pentium 486 with about 8 or 16mb RAM and 60mb hard drive space available after windows was installed. Dropped about R10k on that bad boy.

"640K of memory was more than anyone needed"   :clap:  :clap:  :clap: 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So some guy on an ebike whirred past me on my roadie the other day, took me by surprise as he cruised past.

Didnt worry me too much, actually felt better than if he was on a std 29er.

I said in my head, "holy crap this oke is fast, then, aaaaahhhhh ebike, whew!"

He could have said Howzit as he came past, not like he was out of breath.

With the price of fuel and the emmissions story relating to global warming, the rise of the ebike as a mode of transport (more so than as a leisure activity) is likely to gain a lot more momentum globally.

The fact that you dont need a licence for ebikes makes it all that more attractive.

The chipping of the speed controls are inevitable, people always going to play with this stuff.

You can do 60 or 80 kph on a pedal bike so why would ebikes need to be limited to 25kph, people clearly think that is redonkulous , ergo the market for chips.

As for the weight of the ebike being heavier than a pedal bike, so what, heavy guy on a pedal bike or light guy on an ebike, same thing.

Legislators scrambling to catch up with the trend, some people drive like nutters in their cars, why would ebikes be any different.

People die in car and motorbike accidents all the time, they prob gonna die in bigger numbers on ebikes too as they become more popular, it would be a statistical inevitability.

Rules of the road regards speeding and driving on sidewalks, stopping at traffic lights etc should be enforced like they would be for any other vehicle like a vespa or a car.

Dont see why people blowing their blobs just cause its an ebike.

Edited by Coolspin

So some guy on an ebike whirred past me on my roadie the other day, took me by surprise as he cruised past.

Didnt worry me too much, actually felt better than if he was on a std 29er.

I said in my head, "holy crap this oke is fast, then, aaaaahhhhh ebike, whew!"

He could have said Howzit as he came past, not like he was out of breath.

Maybe he did greet, you just couldn't hear him...

Makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsTLxK0gCRY

What about pBikes? It is exactly like an eBike, just uses a different kind of motion lotion. Makes sense to me, it is much, much cheaper (only R2,400 for a motor - and you get to upcycle your old frame), lighter (only 11kg for the entire motor kit), goes further 50km/l, the tank holds 2l, and it certainly is not a silent killer. People can hear ya for miles around. Oh, BTW, it only goes well if you assist with the pedaling...

20140114_1018091.JPG

Come manne, ebiking is so easy, let’s get SA some rainbow stripes...

Pretty sure it’s just going to be won by nino as well....

From what I’ve seen some of the more serious ebike mtbkers have good skills, it’s not necessarily easier to ride a faster bike. Will be interesting to see how technical the course will be and if the gradients are harder than normal.

Can't help thinking this is going to go the same way as F1. 

With rule constraints on like weight and power , then clever engineering to get the edge,  and then new revised rules to get stuff in check again,  and then more engineering and then new revised rules and so on and so on and so on.  . . . 

The team/company with the deepest pockets and brainiest engineers  wins.

Will they bring in tire constraints?  :devil:  

Edited by IH8MUD

Bike doping will be a big thing at this level of motorbike racing I am sure?

For sure I read an article in a German mtb magazine recently which listed lots of places who can tune and chip ebikes to perform better than the OEM specifications.

The last event I did the ebike cat was supposed be restricted to bikes where the assistance kicks out at 25kmh ... The leader came past me going much faster than that while going uphill and peddling very slow in relation to the speed and gradient... so imo it’s not being enforced at the moment