Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get this concern for the longevity of single tracks. Most people on mountain bikes ride gravel roads in any case, often skipping the fun single track/dh trails, and some of them even ride trail bikes. 

The okes that can/do shred it on trails, will probably never ride e-bikes any ways, and those that don't will still be slow on trails and destroy it with braking etc in corners, be it on a e-bike or not.

I think e-bikes will have a place and we need to accept it. However, my skill level improved with my fitness. This means that I try and get up hills as quickly as possible (and train to do so) in order to go down as fast as possible. I would be highly upset if someone passes me on an e-bike going up, but then holds me up going down. Until that happens I'm content...

I know it's trivial, but that would seem unfair to me.

long-boards vs Short boards vs bodyboarding vs subs

Skateboarding vs Rollerblading

West side vs east side

Fatbikes retired in Swakopmund....but E-bikes are here to stay

Now Fat e-bikes would make a lot of sense to me - that would be fun and make slogging through thick sand easier and fun.

long-boards vs Short boards vs bodyboarding vs subs

Skateboarding vs Rollerblading

West side vs east side

Fatbikes retired in Swakopmund....but E-bikes are here to stay

Who gives a crap, the world is big enough...You do you!

attachicon.gifIMG_0795.JPG

Except stand-up surfing will always be superior to being an egg-beater or a doormat... :whistling:

E-Bikes definitely do not belong on mountain trails.  It has been hard enough for mountain bikers to get access to some trails without adding a motorised option to the objectors arsenal.

If you cannot get up and down the hills under your own steam then stay off the trails. Don't spoil the access for those who can.

If strava if your only objection to an e-bike on the trails then you really are not seeing the bigger picture.

Not sure I agree with all of this. We have 2 e-bikes that ride with our group weekly. It's a fast group and the 2 e-bikers are not fast riders, but we do enjoy their company. I see no issues in them joining us and enjoying the trails. Sure, if they claimed to be KOM or tried to pretend they were riding under their own steam it would become a problem. But they don't.

And as for claiming strava KOM's, well there were strava cheats long before e-bikes came along. Drafting motorbikes, cutting corners, etc. etc. Just add e-bikes to the list...

As with most things in life, it comes down to the individual using the e-bike. Don't paint them all with the same brush. ;)

I wonder it Stefan Sahm will be doing his Epic filming session on his e-bike like last year? It was fun to watch him motor up the hill to the start of the berm section at Meerendal on the prologue and the final, so that he could follow whomever he was filming coming down the berms. It made some great camera angles which were fun to watch.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/insight/bikes-of-the-epic-stefan-sahms-bulls-e-stream-evo-fs-3-29-e-bike-r4367

Don't let my dad hear you say that "a ride who has moved on in years can no longer make it up the climbs".  He kicks a lot of youngsters butts and he only started cycling at 60!

your old man is a cool guy ... he won't mod an e-bike to whack out more speed on the trail.

Whether you'd like to hop on your 29er, 26er, hardtail, softail, steel, carbon, alloy, titanium, 9/10/11sp, mech/electronic, EBike, get out there and enjoy life.

What about those of us riding 27.5 (650b)?  :whistling:

LOL @ the Strava peeps. 

WTF man, go ride your bicycles.  

And e-bikes?  The piece written sounds like a junior PR writer trying to sell something.    They certainly have their place, but sh!t like "what if you fell and needed cell phone reception"... LOL    I think the few reckless on them will spoil the bigger picture for all.  Go earn that descent.

Snip

. Sure, if they claimed to be KOM or tried to pretend they were riding under their own steam it would become a problem. But they don't.

And as for claiming strava KOM's, well there were strava cheats long before e-bikes came along. Drafting motorbikes, cutting corners, etc. etc. Just add e-bikes to the list...

Snip

Has cycling really become all about strava KOMs?

I find it amusing that you and others on this thread only object to bikes with motors if they take KOMs.

And here is the irony. The argument for is it is totally ok as it is a bicycle. But when it comes to awards and prizes it is not a bicycle.

some advertising ..... 44sec mark is a classy way to advertise e-bikes on trails.