WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

I know that this is a big ask, like asking someone to explain all of Game of Thrones if you returned from 5 year  solitary confinement, but can someone give me a precis of what the issues are.

I have read all 28 pages of the thread and there are so many wink-wink, nudge-nudge comments and people partially identified that I cannot make out what the hell is going on. *

I will send a bottle of red wine to the first person who can explain the plot in less than 28 pages.

* I have read Milton's Paradise Lost and mostly understood it. But then again I think it may have been less obtuse.

I will try the Reader's Digest Condensed Version of Paradise Lost.....

Once upon a Time, long, long ago, there were an Association that organised International Stage Tours ect in RSA.

As time passed they did lesser and lesser and lesser and lesser....

Then, like the old Witch offered Snow White a lovely apple the Average Joe was offered medical cover if you did not see the tree in the wood and ended up in hospital, simply by paying your Subs.

But the Big Bad Wolves blew away all the stashed cash in the house.

Then the (un)Pied Piper of Insurance tuned the Wolves: No cash no Cover. 

But due to an unforeseen, accidental, genuine mistake the Average Joe was never informed of this technical detail...

Which is not a good thing if you roll up to the hospital thinking you have cover!

As the Apple was bitten, lots of worms emerged, and the Bikehub reported on it for ever and ever after.

But because Grootlem was threatened with Hard Time everybody calls Spade a shovel.

*Make it a nice Shiraz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont enter that many events anymore but cant recall when last i was asked for my license....apart from Trans Baviaans during the online entry process...

I have been asked for it at tiny 10 participant races at places like Stilbaai and Laingsburg, almost never at some of big name races - guess it depends on the vigilance of the local CSA official

I know that this is a big ask, like asking someone to explain all of Game of Thrones if you returned from 5 year  solitary confinement, but can someone give me a precis of what the issues are.

I have read all 28 pages of the thread and there are so many wink-wink, nudge-nudge comments and people partially identified that I cannot make out what the hell is going on. *

I will send a bottle of red wine to the first person who can explain the plot in less than 28 pages.

* I have read Milton's Paradise Lost and mostly understood it. But then again I think it may have been less obtuse.

Wasted millions on events like MTB World Cup and others which whilst great for international exposure resulted in net outflows and losses. 

Wasted more on travel/expenses for committee members to attend meetings obviously held to coincide with said international events. 

Disposed of fixed property. 

As a result of write offs and losses unable to cover expenses which then apparently lead to using grant funds for operating expenses. 

I have been asked for it at tiny 10 participant races at places like Stilbaai and Laingsburg, almost never at some of big name races - guess it depends on the vigilance of the local CSA official

My thoughts:  given the farce that CSA currently is, I suspect race some organizers will 'ask' you if you have a CSA licence but may not actually ask you to produce your card...

I've seen this at a recent event... 

It went something like

Entry official: 'you are a CSA member, right'?

Me:  'Uh yes'.

Entry official:  'cool, here's your race number'...

As it turned out, I was a member as my membership expired the next week.  But at the time I really couldn't say either way with any certainty 

But because Grootlem was threatened with Hard Time everybody calls Spade a shovel.

*Make it a nice Shiraz

Good summary, but I still don't know if Groot Lem is in Slytherin or Gryffindor, does he wear a black hat or white ?

What was his role then and what is it now?

Shiraz it is  will be once I know which characters to cheer for.    

My thoughts:  given the farce that CSA currently is, I suspect race some organizers will 'ask' you if you have a CSA licence but may not actually ask you to produce your card...

I've seen this at a recent event... 

It went something like

Entry official: 'you are a CSA member, right'?

Me:  'Uh yes'.

Entry official:  'cool, here's your race number'...

As it turned out, I was a member as my membership expired the next week.  But at the time I really couldn't say either way with any certainty 

At the races I mentioned there was an auntie with a laptop who cross-checked my number on the CSA database - so obviously some officials are more diligent than others

Edited by Skubarra

At the races I mentioned there was an auntie with a laptop who cross-checked my number on the CSA database - so obviously some officials are more diligent than others

From what I can work out some officials were more diligent in collecting the fee than they were in paying it across to CSA......

Good summary, but I still don't know if Groot Lem is in Slytherin or Gryffindor, does he wear a black hat or white ?

What was his role then and what is it now?

Shiraz it is  will be once I know which characters to cheer for.    

Grootlem = Excalibur

@eddy, entries done via certain online entry portals make provision to collect "day licence" fees. The rider levy, is supposed to be paid by the organiser to the regional affiliate, i.e. CGC, KZN, GEC, GNC, etc., but either a poorly administered region, or an ignorant/stubborn race organiser (or both) results in no invoice/payment being issued/received.

CSA get money from Membership and/or Full Racing Licence directly, whereas the day licence and rider levy is dependant on the region/organiser paying it.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. 

Most sport associations, struggle to find people who can run an organisation effectively. I tend to feel that your capable personal are tied up in the private or corporate environment. 

It's probably not possible under current legislation. But perhaps the administration of such an organisation should go out on tender. Based on performance SARS can then issue a tax break incentive and should they under perform or be found guilty of misconduct, hit them with a tax penalty. Perhaps then we can see more professionalism from our administrators running our different sport codes.

I am maybe a bit off topic, but that's my 5 cents.

Hopefully this mess can be resolved soon...

Just noticed an email from CSA - appropriately landing in my junk mail - informing me that my membership will expire 31 July. Now considering what has been said on this thread about CSA I am no longer convinced of the benefits of membership.

Question I have is that if I do all my online race registrations for the remainder of the year before 31 July and do not renew my membership, will I have an issue with the tannies who check these things at the races I registered for while I was a member. I should also mention that I refuse to do race number collections at Bike shops in far flung areas so I wont encounter them at Cyclelab, Sportsmanswarehouse, Tour de Frans...or wherever folks are forced to go these days. I am happy to create my own race number  :D

I am working off the assumption that if I do the registrations post 31 July, the online registry portals may have a built in check back to CSA database to check membership and a lapsed membership will add the R35 day licence in the payment.

Just noticed an email from CSA - appropriately landing in my junk mail - informing me that my membership will expire 31 July. Now considering what has been said on this thread about CSA I am no longer convinced of the benefits of membership.

I was under the impression lic ran for full year Jan to Dec. 

Question I have is that if I do all my online race registrations for the remainder of the year before 31 July and do not renew my membership, will I have an issue with the tannies who check these things at the races I registered for while I was a member. I should also mention that I refuse to do race number collections at Bike shops in far flung areas so I wont encounter them at Cyclelab, Sportsmanswarehouse, Tour de Frans...or wherever folks are forced to go these days. I am happy to create my own race number :D

I am working off the assumption that if I do the registrations post 31 July, the online registry portals may have a built in check back to CSA database to check membership and a lapsed membership will add the R35 day licence in the payment.

Yes, do it... the CSA tannies have nothing to do with CSA Membership, which runs for 12 months from date of issue. This is why yours expires in July... you renewed it a year ago, or got it for the first time a year ago.

For Scotty's benefit, A FULL RACING LICENCE runs from Jan-Dec, and this is for riders in the Elite and Vets bunches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To anyone calling a CSA Membership (that costs +/- R200) a licence... I give up, have now lost track of the number of times I need to emphasize this.

There are three types:

1. Full Racing Licence - costs R400 over and above the CSA Membership, and one needs to belong to a club. It is for people that have a little number board on their frame, and one of the following prefixes on the race number:

$

&

VA

VB

VC

%

If one is in the AL, BL, CL, DL, TL, etc. start groups, then a licence is not required.

2. CSA Membership costs +/- R200 (depending which province/region one lives on). It is not a licence!

3. Day licence costs R35 on top of each race entry one does. Sometimes it will be charged, other times not... depends on the entry portal and/or late entry.

Both 2. & 3. Above start in the AL, BL, CL, etc. start groups.

Yes, do it... the CSA tannies have nothing to do with CSA Membership, which runs for 12 months from date of issue. This is why yours expires in July... you renewed it a year ago, or got it for the first time a year ago.

For Scotty's benefit, A FULL RACING LICENCE runs from Jan-Dec, and this is for riders in the Elite and Vets bunches.

Lol no need to do it for my benefit, CSA have it explained on the link below. I got my 2016 membership last year in April to race the 2016 races in open seeded. Guess what, when i contacted CSA in Jan they said i had to renew membership Jan  2017 to ride open seeded for races in 2017. 

https://www.cyclingsa.com/membership/

To anyone calling a CSA Membership (that costs +/- R200) a licence... I give up, have now lost track of the number of times I need to emphasize this.

There are three types:

1. Full Racing Licence - costs R400 over and above the CSA Membership, and one needs to belong to a club. It is for people that have a little number board on their frame, and one of the following prefixes on the race number:

$

&

VA

VB

VC

%

If one is in the AL, BL, CL, DL, TL, etc. start groups, then a licence is not required.

2. CSA Membership costs +/- R200 (depending which province/region one lives on). It is not a licence!

3. Day licence costs R35 on top of each race entry one does. Sometimes it will be charged, other times not... depends on the entry portal and/or late entry.

Both 2. & 3. Above start in the AL, BL, CL, etc. start groups.

Semantics.... We all know what they are referring to.