[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Serves you right you racing snake you.

Just jealous. I ride about a third from the front. I think the middle half of the race is probably the safest, simply because there is less crazy pushing for position, less aggression and most people have done a few races already and are used to riding in big bunches. The other dangerous part (besides for the front) is the back third of the race. That is where the "wildebeest" (what one of my buddies call them) ride. They are often newbies, ride all over the place, brake, stop, turn and weave without warning. Later in the race they become zombies. I have done that a few times riding with my boys when they started. It can be a bit hairy, but then, the flip side of the coin is that the support, friendliness, and solidarity in the later groups is much nicer than at the front.

Racing snake..????never.. this will be my third road race ever..

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CALLING Harryn

when you be in CT ?

Just for the weekend, flying in Friday, flying out right after the race. Lets get together for a coffee ride on Saturday morning or maybe or a lunch, and lets rope Myles in. See my pm!

So, those peeps that will be braving the expo today, let us know what is in the goodie bag and how bad the number printing is so that we have something to do to pass the time today!!!

When I checked forecast yesterday it showed medium wind, this morning nearly calm and perfect. Hope it stays that way....but fear weather is currently volatile and will change again...?

I think any wind upwards from 15km/h will impact, depending as always on own strength and group around you. Usually not a big concern, but this year looking to attempt a sub3  :eek:  :whistling:

Anybody else in 1D who will have a "serious" crack? Not sure it's possible from there....but will give it a bash

Very possible

I'll be in the CellC kit doing my bits to achieve this goal!

Very possible

Starting from 1H, are you?

Once again, unfortunately/fortunately, I will be doing battle from the back. But this year it’s serious as it seems everything (almost - I am not dead) is going wrong.

So I shall be quoting Marshal Foch to myself (and anyone else who cares to listen) as I roll along: My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking. (!!)

BE WARNED! The idea of printing numbers may not be a good one. One hr in and people are waiting for printing. Wonder what the backlogs will look like by the end of the day.

Very possible

Ok, seems we'll get a little motivated group out there from 1D. All welcome to join.

We'll need to start from front. I will try get there in time lol

Work ethic is a given. Turns needed.

Not sure yet which kit I will wear, but I have a baby blue bike frame (borrowed - don't own a road bike!) It says Franschhoek on frame.....

My last 2 rides were on a fully mtb with nobblies....3.16  :ph34r: 

on facebook:

Please be advised that we are experiencing a delay at Registration at the Cape Town Cycle Tour Expo with the printing of numbers and are in the process of resolving the matter. We apologise to those who have been affected by these delays this morning and encourage participants to please visit Expo later this afternoon or tomorrow to register.

I thought it might be a good idea to check The Hub before venturing into town.

Printing numbers on demand seemed like a good idea, but practically it clearly wasn't that well planned.