[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

is this marshall death story true? there's been ZERO mention of it in the mainstream media, even capetalk referenced D Bellairs as saying too ppl passed away during the event. Is the focus/importance only on the wellbeing of the participants, and the marshalls only so much as sacrificial anodes, or is the story fake news?

Please quote a reputable source.

Sadly, it is true: https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/road/sa-road-cycling/statement-from-david-bellairs-regarding-the-cape-town-cycle-tour-marshal-r7167

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if I am asking you to hold your line it is because I am making a plan to come around you and doing you the courtesy of warning you that I am doing so.

I passed many riders yesterday and all were thankful for the warning calls.

You sir are one in a million, the majority are just boxes that want you to know they are faster than you. I just move past and if they close the gap, a slight gentle hand on the hip gets them moving in the right direction.

is this marshall death story true? there's been ZERO mention of it in the mainstream media, even capetalk referenced D Bellairs as saying too ppl passed away during the event. Is the focus/importance only on the wellbeing of the participants, and the marshalls only so much as sacrificial anodes, or is the story fake news?

Please quote a reputable source.

it was on news24

Just because C catches B, or B catches up to A, certainly doesnt mean the batches are seeded incorrectly, or the lower riders are better than those in higher batches.

The problem really lies with the organization in the fact that each batch only has 2 minutes separating it from the next, and this affects the "racing" going on in each batch as once they amalgamate, it really becomes a total mess.

Just to clarify - I don't think the seeding is done "incorrectly" - my perception is just that with the "stricter time penalties" on the PPA seeding there were a number of very strong riders spreaded among the early alphabet bunches that could have comfortably rode in the "symbol" bunches. 

And yes, the 2 minute time gaps between the fast alphabet bunches have never been enough and never will be.

Not sure, from what recall the rules are you may not ride twice as this will lead to disqualification? Obviously those who were offered the chance and paid for it is another story. But I would imagine if they pick up a rider on a 2nd lap without having paid for it there will be trouble. 

It's nonsense - doing the 2nd lap is as old as the race itself. Organizers want to stop it - then they want to make money from it - bollocks I say - just let it be. It's part of the tradition.

Thanks Nick and Meezo

I'm a little perplexed by the news release. Yesterday, there was a lot of chatter on social media around the three deaths. But nothing on main stream media. This morning, Bellairs is on capetalk, and ONLY mentions two deaths. Again, nothing on main stream media until much later this morning when sport24 effectively republished the news brief from the tour organisers . While the details of the event may have privacy implications, the occasion itself isn't a privacy issue, and news thereof seems more an afterthought.

It's really grinding my gears that they've taken so long to acknowledge the marshal's death. If thety were as integral to the race as Bellair would like us to believe, then it should have been front and center along with the death of the cyclists. This feels very disrespectful.

I started in & bunch yesterday, but sadly I hit a pothole and cracked my rim on the Blueroute. My father was kind enough to bring my set of training wheels, but dealing with road closures and coming from the northern 'burbs, I lost an hour standing next to the road only 20kms in.

By the time I got going, I was riding "with" 2G or there abouts. Worked my way through the bunches solo and came down Landadno with the 2D bunch. The accident with the marshal had just happened as I passed. Horrible sight.. very sad to hear about his passing.

I realise what I am about to say will probably sound rude to some, but I feel I need to say it none the less.

The racing bunches are always accused of riding dangerously, but this is definitely not the case. I feel a lot safer in the racing bunches than I felt yesterday with the middle groups. Yes, sure, accidents happen, but for the most part at least the racing bunches know how to handle a bicycle and know how to ride in a bunch. It just looks dangerous because it happens so much faster.

In the middle bunches (especially in the funride world champs, when everyone is a pro) people swerve all over the place, there is no bunch etiquette what so ever and in fact, most of the time there are no bunches, just groups of 5 trying to ride each other of the wheel, because of course this will make them faster in the long run.

Bunch skills and etiquette is , quite frankly, pathetic in the middle bunches. It is something that I feel needs to be focussed on and talked about and taught by PPA or whoever. You wouldn't shove someone who drives once a year into a racing car onto a track full of other cars would you? So why do people who cycle once a year think it's fine to just show up without any regard for other's safety?

Anyway, rant over I guess. Was glad to be able to finish in the end.

Edited by Jetstar500

Thanks Nick and Meezo

I'm a little perplexed by the news release. Yesterday, there was a lot of chatter on social media around the three deaths. But nothing on main stream media. This morning, Bellairs is on capetalk, and ONLY mentions two deaths. Again, nothing on main stream media until much later this morning when sport24 effectively republished the news brief from the tour organisers . While the details of the event may have privacy implications, the occasion itself isn't a privacy issue, and news thereof seems more an afterthought.

It's really grinding my gears that they've taken so long to acknowledge the marshal's death. If thety were as integral to the race as Bellair would like us to believe, then it should have been front and center along with the death of the cyclists. This feels very disrespectful.

Fully agree with you on this, which was one of the reasons I sent a message to CapeTalk about it this morning when they mentioned only the two deaths.  For me the marshalls are an integral part of the race, without the riders there may not be a need for them to stand there, but without them the race will not be allowed (or as safe). 

For as far as reasonably possible they deserve more respect for what they do.  

Bunch skills and etiquette is , quite frankly, pathetic in the middle bunches. It is something that I feel needs to be focussed on and talked about and taught by PPA or whoever. You wouldn't shove someone who drives once a year into a racing car onto a track full of other cars would you? So why do people who cycle once a year think it's fine to just show up without any regard for other's safety?

Anyway, rant over I guess. Was glad to be able to finish in the end.

Spoke to someone in the front batches (@ batch), and mentioned there were a few crashes in their batch too, so think the take away for me, it can happen in any batch, if you feel that the batch is feeling extra nervous and twitchy, maybe drop back to another group or move to the neck / front of the group

Edited by LeoKnight

Actually, if I am asking you to hold your line it is because I am making a plan to come around you and doing you the courtesy of warning you that I am doing so.

I passed many riders yesterday and all were thankful for the warning calls.

"Passing on your right"

is VERY different to

"HOLD YOUR #$#%# LINE  !!!!"

Just saying...

Fully agree with you on this, which was one of the reasons I sent a message to CapeTalk about it this morning when they mentioned only the two deaths.  For me the marshalls are an integral part of the race, without the riders there may not be a need for them to stand there, but without them the race will not be allowed (or as safe). 

For as far as reasonably possible they deserve more respect for what they do.  

I don't know the reasons for the mix up in communications regarding this but I am very certain it is nothing to do with "a lack of respect" for the marshall

Remember this person was a friend and team mate to many involved in the CTCT not just a faceless volunteer. I know that trauma counselling is being organised for CTCT team members that knew him. 

how much will you pay me to take it off your hands?

he must pay you to pull it out of his arse dude 

Probably going to get flamed for this, but two trauma related deaths is too many, heart attacks are another story altogether, equally as sad, but I'd like to focus on the avoidable trauma deaths.

At this stage both appear to involve speed in fast downhill sections - Blue Route/ Wynberg Hill and descent past Llandudno, the point is that bunches/ cyclists with varied levels of skill, most at max threshold and max of their skills is not a good formula.

So perhaps its time to stop the 'race' and turn and it into a funride - the field size cannot in my view cope with the race element - its a recipe for tragedy and the responsibility for doing something sits with the organisers.

I think most people who 'raced' yesterday will have to acknowledge that they were lucky, few I imagine will claim to have been in control most of the time while they were riding in a bunch, whether its your moment of inattention or the person next to you - you were hoping it didn't end in disaster.

So maybe its time to stop timing the event, to just let people ride 'car-free' around the peninsula for a day. Sure there will always be those that want a sub3 or to be at the front. But maybe its time for a new era.

If you really do want to race - there are plenty of alternative events which still allow for possibilities which in my view the 'Argus' has outgrown.

My 2 cents. 

Spoke to someone in the front batches (@ batch), and mentioned there were a few crashes in their batch too, so think the take away for me, it can happen in any batch, if you feel that the batch is feeling extra nervous and twitchy, maybe drop back to another group or move to the neck / front of the group

I know, I am very aware that accidents happen in every bunch, but I still feel much safer up front. I still feel that it is something that needs to be given attention to. I race at Killarney every Thursday and we touch shoulders, lean on each other and average a speed of 45kph. Yet a crash happens once a month, if that much. So please explain why it is that at much higher speed and what is perceived by many as "dangerous riding" are there fewer crashes in the racing bunches?

Also bear in mind that while it seems that crashes happen in the front more often, those riders also race a lot more. So if you crash once a year in the racing bunch, but race every weekend, the you crash once out of 50 times for arguments' sake. If you crash once a year, but race once a year in the middle or back bunches, your crash ratio is 100%. So by that logic (correct me if I'm wrong) it does seem to be a bit more dangerous at the back.

Anyway, I guess I'm just still a bit annoyed at the fact that I couldn't ride with my bunch and that I missed my sub 3 because of a mechanical and and.. so perhaps don't take what I'm saying too seriously.

So perhaps its time to stop the 'race' and turn and it into a funride - the field size cannot in my view cope with the race element - its a recipe for tragedy and the responsibility for doing something sits with the organisers.

I fully agree. The fact that this is not treated as a funride already kinda shocks me. The race has already been won before most people even start. 

It annoys me so, so much when I see people in the middle bunches acting like pros just to stroke their own egos but with a complete disregard for anyone else's safety. What exactly are they trying to "win"?