Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

Duty on bicycles is 15%, not 26.25%. Tariff heading 8712.00.10- "Rate of Duty-General".

That is how I understand it as well.

PLUS - if the frame is truely made in the German factory - there is a case to be made for 0% duty as for tariff heading 8712.00.10 it is 0% if Origin is EU

That will thus mean there is "only"

10% upliftment and the 14% VAT for a total of 15.4% on the Customs Value - which should include the Bike, Bike Box and Shipping.  

Edited by daniemare

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically that means I can buy the Canyon in the UK AND the Nago Master that EvanB has waiting, for LESS than just buying it direct.... okaaaaaayyy and then SARS wonders why people dont have tax morals.

Make sure you ask them for a VAT receipt when ordering, they will not send one retrospectively. Also,the VAT in the UK is 20% but you don't get all of that back when claiming a tax refund at the airport with all their admin charges, it's more like 12-14%.

They've also made it a slow process, the queues are crazy long, full of Chinese women claiming the VAT back on their Louis Vuitton bags so bank on getting to Heathrow 3.5 hours prior to flying

Since you have to do some assembling of the bike, surely it can be argued that you're buying a box full of parts and not a complete bike, and therefore the duty will be for parts only. The point of charging more for complete bikes was to encourage local labour to assemble the bikes. In this case, the local labour is me.

Since you have to do some assembling of the bike, surely it can be argued that you're buying a box full of parts and not a complete bike, and therefore the duty will be for parts only. The point of charging more for complete bikes was to encourage local labour to assemble the bikes. In this case, the local labour is me.

what? putting on a wheel, a seatpost and 4x4mm stem plate bolts... you rate your labour highly...

MadBradd, check my point. I wanting to ship to UK, so I set it to GBP.

I thought you wanted a comparison to if you ship it direct to SA. ie:

Cart:
1 × Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0 SL US$5,849.00
4 × Canyon Bottle 0.75L black US$15.80
1 × CANYON BikeGuard US$16.90
1 × Shipping US$299.00

Total: US$6,180.70

Add duty and VAT = US$8202.40

at ZAR12:US$1 that gives you R98428.8, plus a bit for exchange rate costs. So you're in for about R100k vs your calc of R93k to your London Office.

post-31323-0-13211200-1518688457_thumb.png

Edit: Added screenshot of basket
Edited by madbradd

I thought you wanted a comparison to if you ship it direct to SA. ie:

Cart:
1 × Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0 SL US$5,849.00
4 × Canyon Bottle 0.75L black US$15.80
1 × CANYON BikeGuard US$16.90
1 × Shipping US$299.00

Total: US$6,180.70

Add duty and VAT = US$8202.40

at ZAR12:US$1 that gives you R98428.8, plus a bit for exchange rate costs. So you're in for about R100k vs your calc of R93k to your London Office.

Edit: Added screenshot of basket

Duty isn't charged on the shipping cost, so it works out about $150 less.

Edited by GrahamS2

Duty isn't charged on the shipping cost, so it works out about $150 less.

Post-Cyril pricing is getting better and better by the minute it seems!

Nice. And the VAT?

On the invoice total + duty.

This is all speculation however, as the actual amount charged will be determined by the person who attempts to do the calculations at customs or the post office. This is rarely accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

@Juriekruger have you received your bike yet. It's beaurafull

Please let us know ito duties etc how much u had to.pay extra.

Considering to order 1

It looks like, even with a 33% duty worst case(am I correct), one can get the Exceed CF6.0 as below

SHOPPING CART
1 × Exceed CF SL 6.0 Pro Race US$2,239.00 1 × Derailleur Hanger No. 36  US$19.95 1 × Crank Brothers EggBeater 2 US$63.95 1 × CANYON BikeGuard US$16.90 1 × Shipping US$299.00
TOTAL PRICE

US$2,638.80

including US$0.00 VAT (0%)

including US$299.00 delivery charge to South Africa

With added 33% it's R 39 k - not bad at all if you look at what you can get for R 40 k here.

GX Eagle, DT Swiss wheels, same carbon frame as the higher spec ones.

Edited by andrew5336