Homeschoolers Not Welcome at Spur MTB League

Shaun Green

School A and school B are evenly matched in the Spur schools MTB league. School A 'obtains' the services of a talented and well trained home schooled pupil. B narrowly looses the league to A. So, is it wrong for the parents, pupils and coaches of B to feel pissed off?

Let's try again:

School A and school B are evenly matched in the Spur schools MTB league. School A 'obtains' the services of a talented and well trained scholar from School B. B narrowly looses the league to A. So, is it wrong for the parents, pupils and coaches of B to feel pissed off?

Let's not pretend things like this do not happen. It is not practically possible to prevent this.

It is also not the case with my daughter, who rides on a lower budget mostly-donated set of parts and kit.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year home schoolers in WC was allowed, just did not get timed/placing and no points allocation as they did not represent a "school"

i.ve not heard of any new rules this year and the IT system still allows home scholers to enter for WC. So cannot see whyGauteng rules can be different.

Drop me pm and i can try assist.

I have , however, not seen a SINGLE comment that unpacks the rule that affects this young girl, and the reasons for it.

Haven't seen the rule unpacked either. Does not seem "unpackable", but I'm all ears if someone wants to try.

This does not affect only one person. There are a number of homeschoolers racing in this series. Either under the radar or as second-rate citizens called "Ghost RIders".

What you all are forgetting is that this is a commercially sponsored series, and you treat it like everyone has the right to dictate how it should operate.

The commercial sponsor can dictate anything they want, but they would be foolish to offend their market. The steak-eating patron remains absolutely free to visit other restaurants.

Haven't seen the rule unpacked either. Does not seem "unpackable", but I'm all ears if someone wants to try.

This does not affect only one person. There are a number of homeschoolers racing in this series. Either under the radar or as second-rate citizens called "Ghost RIders".

And there is the rub. 

All your points are good, and it does seem painfully unfair.  The only way to have a constructive conversation is to start with unpacking this rule

And what would CSA say about this - just asking?

Does CSA even know of the Spur Series? They are so far removed from anything cycling related, they probably haven't realised that there is actually a sport behind the common bicycle.

I don't see the issue. Xc Mountain biking is an individual sport, the kids race and then you tally up the scores, I'm sure there's no team tactics involved, so you can't affect the racing.

If a kid from pampoenskraal primary wants to ride he will be the only one from his school. Just count each homeschooled kid as independent.

You can have UCI level outcast riders racing the epic in the lead bunch if their team mate drops out, but a home school kid can't ride in Gauteng. Mind boggles

I just jumped to the conclusion that it was some or other influential parent whose kid was beaten by a home schooled kid somewhere that went nudge nudge, wink wink ... maybe we should ban these kids as they have an unfair advantages. 

But please don't start looking at the advantages other kids have, for example top of the market bikes, use of a professional trainers, indoor trainer equipment for those winter months, heck a wattbike at home, etc.

This is not as far fetched as you may think. I know of a certain homeschooler that podiumed every race in the 3 seasons that he participated.

Edited by Moridin

My daughter is heartbroken. She has trained, practiced skills, prepared her bike, collected her kit, but Spur want nothing to do with her simply because she is a homeschooler.

We are at a loss as to what to do.

I've ridden with your daughter and she is extremely motivated and seriously strong, hope you come right. 

But why is this rule only applied in Gauteng and not the rest of the country, and even in the other provinces the rules are clear that homeschooled children are not allowed to represent a school?

I would like to think that somewhere somehow there is a good reason for this rule, haven't seen it on this thread though.

In other regions the homeschoolers may participate, but are not allocated points for the race. Which at least allows the kid to participate.

I don't think it is a Spur issue. I think it is an issue that is driven by the organisers in the specific region.

Edited by Moridin

I have three homeschooled children and we made the decision based on trying to give them a better education and think that most other parents want the same for their kids.Sport was not our main concern but they excelled at gymnastics and yes they do have extra time to train simply because they get individual attention in class so get through their work faster than at a school.Why punish them for that?Surely getting the most competitive field together is better for any sport.I commend anyone sponsoring sport especially at junior level but feel that this could have been handled better.

Is this the only league in which your child could potentially race competitively?

no

Gauteng xco series 

Sa xco cup 

Private xco events are popping up everywhere 

the school series is not about kids anymore its so stupidly corporate and money driven ... it actually sickens me 

3 years ago when i was still racing ( did good but not great , ave about 17th to 11th ) kids line up with umbrellas to stand under , ice jerseys .... after just getting off the 15k tacx warm up stand ...... ect ect. bull**** list goes on and on 

no

Gauteng xco series

Sa xco cup

Private xco events are popping up everywhere

the school series is not about kids anymore its so stupidly corporate and money driven ... it actually sickens me

3 years ago when i was still racing ( did good but not great , ave about 17th to 11th ) kids line up with umbrellas to stand under , ice jerseys .... after just getting off the 15k tacx warm up stand ...... ect ect. bull**** list goes on and on

True that... Parents get pretty ridiculous when they feel the need to live through their kids...

The reason I ask is, Mr Green has made the decision to homeschool his kid. Which is great, for whatever personal reasons. Now he's trying to incite a change simply to accommodate his kid... To me, it seems the school series is set up so that schools can compete, not children... When I played schools rugby, we couldn't have homeschooled kids play with us just because...

I dunno. It would be nice for event organisers to explain themselves, BUT to hold spur to ransom because of their sponsorship is exactly what our sport does not need as it will simply turn their attraction to sponsorship off...

Mr Green, surely your child can just go compete without you having to stress yourself over this issue at events that cater for her specific condition? Without trying to now change it for the sake of it for your kid?

Is it really that important in the short or long run?