Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

I am of the same opinion.

I'm often criticized for being negative when all I'm really after is improvement. Positive change.

If one keeps quiet and no opinions are voiced, how can one's situation improve? 

Hardly negative, im not opposing the change.m for the sake of being negative..i’m just brutally honest in general. Its one of my personality traits haha. I’ll always tell you how it is straits up. If they wont accept honest critique about the usability of the site they are obviously beta testing still - it wont be better in the long run. They earn money from us using it. We are not getting paid for the beta testing and also didnt sign up for it so can either stay away and wait for it to be better in march 2020 or come here now and hurt some feelings by being brutally honest and get it sorted faster. If nobody did it it ( point out mild usability annoyances) it would stay broken.

Thats hardly being negative imo. Id go so far to say that it shows that i care more than some of the others who fall in line and just accept what they get even if its broken.

We welcome the honesty and criticism. We are listening and are considering all the feedback. We would far rather have the feedback whether we like it or not, it keeps us honest and drives improvement. In our view that's fundamental to Bike Hub, whether in respect to the platform itself or the content on it, our members keep us honest and drive us to up our game. It's not just empty high fives, fist bumps and hand claps.

What is helpful and appreciated, is when Hubbers are willing to give some deeper feedback and insight as apposed to "I hate it, change it back". (As you have done here @morneS555 - thank you)

To bring the discussion back to the spirit of this particular thread, the changes rolled out this week are heavily Classifieds focussed. Behind the few kinks and teething issues there are some fundamental improvements which we firmly believe will make it easier to sell (and buy) on the Classifieds.

From something as simple, but critical, as email deliverability (which was a major issue on the old platform) to newer features like favourites or search alerts, our aim is to improve the buyer and seller experience and ultimately improve the liquidity of the platform.

Based on feedback and numbers this week it appears we've done a decent job on the seller side of the equation, but there is some work to be done on the buyer/discovery side of things. We are listening and working on improvements as we speak. 

Thanks all for your feedback and patience.

Ps. @morneS555 you should now be able to post pictures in the other thread. 

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly negative, im not opposing the change.m for the sake of being negative..i’m just brutally honest in general. Its one of my personality traits haha. I’ll always tell you how it is straits up. If they wont accept honest critique about the usability of the site they are obviously beta testing still - it wont be better in the long run. They earn money from us using it. We are not getting paid for the beta testing and also didnt sign up for it so can either stay away and wait for it to be better in march 2020 or come here now and hurt some feelings by being brutally honest and get it sorted faster. If nobody did it it ( point out mild usability annoyances) it would stay broken.

Thats hardly being negative imo. Id go so far to say that it shows that i care more than some of the others who fall in line and just accept what they get even if its broken.

Bro, you know I'm pulling your socks....

Same with an online offer, "Hi, I am interested in the bike but only have Rxxx could we still look at discussing a deal" as opposed to "Cool bike, I can offer you Rxxx".

I fail to see the difference in the semantics or meaning of the two statements. One just gets to the point sooner.

I fail to see the difference in the semantics or meaning of the two statements. One just gets to the point sooner.

Agreed but one is tactful and respectful and the other not.........

It may not end the same, I would be more likely to negotiate with somebody trying to do so in good faith as opposed to somebody I see as just taking the P!SS

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Agreed but one is tactful and respectful and the other not.........

It may not end the same, I would be more likely to negotiate with somebody trying to do so in good faith as opposed to somebody I see as just taking the P!SS

Both of the options are better than some of the drivel I have received.

11pm message 'I'll give you 200 bucks'...... When ignored, 'did you get my message'...

Sure man, sure.....

Both of the options are better than some of the drivel I have received.

11pm message 'I'll give you 200 bucks'...... When ignored, 'did you get my message'...

Sure man, sure.....

Agreed, but that's unfortunately how classifieds go, here or Gumtree, OLX, etc.

You will have have the good and the bad, just sift through it accordingly I suppose.

If you want the bargain/sale, you need to do the dance.... It is not just about the final number, it is a social interaction. That is how we humans work.

You will get much more success in your dealings if you at least play the game.

Me personally, I'm not in dire need of the money when I put things on sale, so if you just lowball me out of nowhere I will gladly ignore it and wait for the next guy that at least makes the effort to be courteous.

PS. I'm not in Sales, it is just a skill you pick up as time passes.

If you want the bargain/sale, you need to do the dance.... It is not just about the final number, it is a social interaction. That is how we humans work.

You will get much more success in your dealings if you at least play the game.

Me personally, I'm not in dire need of the money when I put things on sale, so if you just lowball me out of nowhere I will gladly ignore it and wait for the next guy that at least makes the effort to be courteous.

PS. I'm not in Sales, it is just a skill you pick up as time passes.

Well said

Well said Swift & Aero and Admin.

If we call ourselves a CULTURED society then we make the effort to be COURTEOUS.

I personally think we should get rid of the post count as there are a small group of people who are ready to COMMENT about simply EVERYTHING, clogging up the "airwaves" in their attempt to boost their "count". Also their elitist display as though they own the Hub due to their count.

Maybe this is another factor that should be seriously considered.

If we call ourselves a CULTURED society then we make the effort to be COURTEOUS.

I personally think we should get rid of the post count as there are a small group of people who are ready to COMMENT about simply EVERYTHING, clogging up the "airwaves" in their attempt to boost their "count". Also their elitist display as though they own the Hub due to their count.

I respectfully disagree 

I respectfully disagree

Correct. If the regular people don't comment on stuff, then the forum would die

Ps: @Hairy is not a regular.... I believe he's highly irregular

Correct. If the regular people don't comment on stuff, then the forum would die

Ps: @Hairy is not a regular.... I believe he's highly irregular

I don't think he is suggesting people stop commenting, just that the counter be hidden.

As this has been discussed many many times, the post count is a really good indicator of 'reputation' and consistency on Bikehub.

If someone has lots of posts, they are here often and generally won't let their on-line reputation be smeared over a sale or purchase.

I agree in general with what you are saying but with only 41 posts...do I have a poor reputation?

Going back slightly to what this post is all about.. I have purchased many items on BikeHub but don't have any "points" to add to my reputation. Maybe Kudo's or the like given to buyers would also indicate your worthiness as a purchaser.