[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Hahaha! Racing first and then attending a wedding is completely different!!

I was considering doing both and was 90% sure I will, but my wife stepped in and said I should stop being stupid. I can do both, but I won't enjoy both..

I don't drink much, but after two beers I'm a different person, and that guy can drink! The bar closes at 02:00am, I'm assuming I'll be in a startgroup around 07:00? So should aim to be there at 06:00am. The wedding is up the West Coast, minimum 2h30min drive from Cape Town. That means a quick 1 hour nap to sober up before hitting the road.

That does sound stupid typing it out now. My wife was right..again.

You can start later with the back markers. A sober up tour - or use my technique and be the Usain Bolt of drinking - I’m always the first drunk at these things, and the first to leave - you get the ball rolling, entertain everyone and try an early semi dignified exit

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys in the Freestate should not complain about the wind. Ek meen, as daai "Vrystaatse Opdraendes" eers begin waai, dan staan die stofwolke sommer. 

Many years back, we did a inter-provincial championship race from Bloem, on the Reddersburg rd (out and back) into the teeth of a howling wind. At the turnaround point the ave was just over 20km/h. Getting back to Bloem, we were nudging 40km/h avg. 

You guys in the Freestate should not complain about the wind. Ek meen, as daai "Vrystaatse Opdraendes" eers begin waai, dan staan die stofwolke sommer. 

Many years back, we did a inter-provincial championship race from Bloem, on the Reddersburg rd (out and back) into the teeth of a howling wind. At the turnaround point the ave was just over 20km/h. Getting back to Bloem, we were nudging 40km/h avg. 

That's the only way we get to train riding uphill.

I'm convinced though that in Welkom there is only headwinds, doesn't matter which direction you heading in.

You were quite lucky.

I haven't ridden the Reddersburg road, but Jagerfontein rd is in a similar direction, and I don't think I've EVER had the wind behind me on the way back.

Did I read somewhere that they will be using Strava information for seeding? It will be my first 'official' race so I have no seeding at all, although I have just signed up for the Stellies race.

I'm not sure they have a computer big enough to start looking at strava data and gathering metrics.

Edited by Andreas_187

Did I read somewhere that they will be using Strava information for seeding? It will be my first 'official' race so I have no seeding at all, although I have just signed up for the Stellies race.

I'm not sure they have a computer big enough to start looking at strava data and gathering metrics.

Here is the official seeding info, but I also remember hearing something about strava but can't remember what the deal was.

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/lifecycle-week/ctct/pre-race-information/seeding-and-seeding-events/

They only need to look at certain segments. Like Suikerbosie or Blackhill. Ones which require you to pedal yourself up the climb. May be more of a sanity check than anything else, like if someone with normally a T seeding gets a AA seeding, check their strava and see if someone slipped their chip to someone else etc.

I was considering doing both and was 90% sure I will, but my wife stepped in and said I should stop being stupid. I can do both, but I won't enjoy both..

I don't drink much, but after two beers I'm a different person, and that guy can drink! The bar closes at 02:00am, I'm assuming I'll be in a startgroup around 07:00? So should aim to be there at 06:00am. The wedding is up the West Coast, minimum 2h30min drive from Cape Town. That means a quick 1 hour nap to sober up before hitting the road.

Who is gonna drive you at 2:00am from the west coast? You could just sleep for the 4 hours between 2 and 6. 

Good day,

Does anybody know or know of someone that wants to sell a vape town cycle tour entry? Please contact me Jan-Hendrik 0823195702

Good day,

Does anybody know or know of someone that wants to sell a vape town cycle tour entry? Please contact me Jan-Hendrik 0823195702

You talking about Van Hunks and the devil smoking up the place? 

My best Argus was the morning after my brother's 40th party, held in Jo'burg.

I organised a flight with one of the courier companies, left the party at 11, got airborne at 00h30, landed in CT just after 3 and got to the Cullinan just as my roommate was waking to go and have breakfast for his A batch start.

Did a 3h03 over Oukaapse weg, had a few beers and slept for the rest of the day.

I don't see your problem....

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed... no ebikes allowed

The organisers of the 2019 Cape Town Cycle Tour would like to reiterate that no E-bikes will be permitted on the Cape Town Cycle Tour. Only bicycles powered 100% by the cyclists own efforts are permitted to participate. Anyone caught attempting to enter a start chute or planning to cycle on an E-bike will be turned away and they will not be permitted to ride the Cycle Tour. This provision is in line with international cycling rulings and is in the interest of participant safety. In the interests of the tens of thousands of Cycle Tour entrants riding on standard bikes, the organisers need to put their safety first. 

The organisers are investigating dedicated cycling opportunities for E-bike riders as this is a growing component of the sport - but unfortunately the mixing of standard bicycles and E-bikes in a large race format would not be a responsible decision by the event organisers. 

For the sake of clarity please refer to clause 2 of the Rules of Entry

2.1.Every rider may only ride a human powered vehicle to complete the course

Kind Regards
The Cape Town Cycle Tour Organising team

Confirmed... no ebikes allowed

The organisers of the 2019 Cape Town Cycle Tour would like to reiterate that no E-bikes will be permitted on the Cape Town Cycle Tour. Only bicycles powered 100% by the cyclists own efforts are permitted to participate. Anyone caught attempting to enter a start chute or planning to cycle on an E-bike will be turned away and they will not be permitted to ride the Cycle Tour. This provision is in line with international cycling rulings and is in the interest of participant safety. In the interests of the tens of thousands of Cycle Tour entrants riding on standard bikes, the organisers need to put their safety first.

The organisers are investigating dedicated cycling opportunities for E-bike riders as this is a growing component of the sport - but unfortunately the mixing of standard bicycles and E-bikes in a large race format would not be a responsible decision by the event organisers.

For the sake of clarity please refer to clause 2 of the Rules of Entry

2.1.Every rider may only ride a human powered vehicle to complete the course

Kind Regards

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Organising team

Great job CTCT

They were a disruption at 947. Don't mind them starting in their own category at the back, but there were a few in earlier batches in violation of the rules. I guess the volunteers at the chutes were not told to keep them out.