[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

For me, It's just part of my life. It just simply is part of my budget. With the birth of the twins in June I decided to stop racing for a bit and am not racing at all this year or next except for the argus. It will be the first time in 28 years that I am just going down to just ride. Instead of my usual sub 3 goal I am setting a sub 4 goal or just finish. If I didn't have a record to keep, I would really reconsider due to costs.

I sometimes think "records" like that are a bigger burden than what they are worth (ok yours is bigger than most) - was a weight off my shoulder when I missed an Argus for the first time through illness, now I can just do the things without worrying about maintaining some attendance record. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DieselInDust you shouldn't believe everything you read on the interwebs  ^_^

Ya I know (see that bit in the brackets).

However when I was in the US last year I asked about the World Series and it appears that even among people who were around in the 40's and 50's there is uncertainly around the validity of the New York World naming the World Series. It makes  a great story though 

I sometimes think "records" like that are a bigger burden than what they are worth (ok yours is bigger than most) - was a weight off my shoulder when I missed an Argus for the first time through illness, now I can just do the things without worrying about maintaining some attendance record. 

Its not the end of the world if I miss one, just its such a vibe. 

Last year was a goodie, sitting on the back next to Sam and Sauser going through Fish Hoek as the sun rose, felt like a coffee ride. Really, really lekker.

Yeah you are not wrong. But in my case it has yet to be a burden for me(luckily). I have been very fortunate to be in good health and financial position to do it year after year. I have also been very fortunate that my folks have obviously paid for majority of the trips. The last 3 years I have gone down without my wife and kids. I go down Friday morning and come back Sunday night. If I had to take all 5 of us down for a week it would be a different story. I will see what happens in 12 years time when my kids all want to ride as well.

Yeah, but the trails around here....

My previous employer decided to move to Cape Town, so I quit and found another job in Stellenbosch just so I could keep riding my bike to work.  :whistling:

Priorities.  :thumbup:

Do you still wash your helmet in the dishwasher? :offtopic:

Maybe for that day only - otherwise living in Stellenbosch makes life expensive :drool:

Not if you go out for after work dinner and drinks to Bohemia or some other student hangouts.

Think I paid about R20 for a Craft beer draught at Brazen head not so long ago after a ride in Jonkershoek.

For me, It's just part of my life. It just simply is part of my budget. With the birth of the twins in June I decided to stop racing for a bit and am not racing at all this year or next except for the argus. It will be the first time in 28 years that I am just going down to just ride. Instead of my usual sub 3 goal I am setting a sub 4 goal or just finish. If I didn't have a record to keep, I would really reconsider due to costs.

I like how you are not racing so just going to cruise to a sub 4 - for 20 000 others it's a pipe dream

For me, It's just part of my life. It just simply is part of my budget. ............

Same for Team DJR as well. Although, very sadly, Senior finally called it a day. He is turning 81 soon and although he still rides regularly, he decided that he will end it on the very high note that the 2018 ride was. The younger ones simply all see it as part of our yearly calendar. I must admit that living close enough to ride to the start from home makes a massive difference. If I had to fly the whole mob and put them up in a hotel, I might have sung a different tune.

My daughters are at UCT and it is only right that I visit them near the start of the academic year to ensure that they are well set up for the year.

The second week of March seems to me to be just about the perfect time to go and check up on them...….

Like when I go check up on my son at NWU in Potch beginning of Oct with Aardklop.

Edit: Just before finals....

Edited by Warthog

Finance has always been the reason I’ve skipped the race.

Like others have said, try from now to find a cheap flight.

One year we camped in a tent in Fish Hoek, that was by far the cheapest accommodation.

From there you take the train to the start and back again.

There are cheap ways to do it, but at the end of the day you’re probably looking at a minimum of 2-3k for the race weekend.

Has been an addiction since doing it in 2016 for the first time. Presumably the amazing weather played a part. Has been a fixture in my calendar since, we simply budget and save for it from the end of March to the next one. My wife has done 10 and her dad 11, so I feel I need to keep doing it until I also get 10, granted they will probably then both be on 21, so then I will have to keep doing them until I get to 21 as well. Vicious cycle. . . 

May have to move to Cape Town soon, looking at how our petrol price is going.

My partner rode a good 65km Amashova on Sunday and now is keen to join me in riding in the CTCT, only to find out that entries closed on Saturday!

Is there any chance that the deadline might be extended or are late entries a possibility?

Perhaps a substitution entry is the only option - if so, how does one go about that?

My partner rode a good 65km Amashova on Sunday and now is keen to join me in riding in the CTCT, only to find out that entries closed on Saturday!

Is there any chance that the deadline might be extended or are late entries a possibility?

Perhaps a substitution entry is the only option - if so, how does one go about that?

Keep you eye on the classifieds. Many people drop out and sell their entries.

As for the substitution, you and the seller organise that through the race office. You just let the race office know you bought person xyz entry and person xyz verifies the whole deal.