Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

Interesting, I have a Bianchi Oltre crack in the same place and was replaced no questions asked. 

I also get what you are saying as it should be considered as normal riding now days but according to their warranty it is not (I never read the small print either).

You here guilt in your email and thus voided warranty.

Their response does suck and was quite rude but unfortunately if this is stated correctly in their warranty, there is nothing you can do about it.

Was your bike not insured under all risks? If so, just claim on that and buy yourself another brand of frame.

I have actually been looking at a Canyon for a while but after this I may have to think again.

Bike is insured - fully comprehensive. So I will definitely look at other frames here locally. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrespective of if the Canyon is weaker than other brands, surely they can't be expected to cover ANOTHER broken frame if you're not using it as it was intended to be used?  Riders sitting on the top tube over a regular SA road cannot be what was on the design brief when the bike was being drawn up. 

I fully agree with Canyon on this one.  I think you were lucky to get two frames from them with no questions asked, but they're not going to just keep sending new frames one after the other...

It seems that your customer profile was red flagged after 3 replacements.

I would do it too.

It is a strange coincidence.

Wouldn't you question this if you were the brand manager, opening poster?

Fair enough but surely I deserve a little more info after my massive email? 

Lessons learned here, honesty won't go unpunished. 

When it comes to warranty claims, be vague and provide as little information as possible. You know, like a little kid's explaining to his parents why he broke something; "I was just standing there and then when I looked it was broken".

Suppliers seem to have these "ahh it's because you did that" excuses to absolve themselves.

Hmmm, so you have 3 identical breakages, but they choose to apply their warranty policy differently on the last one? The fact that you admitted anything is incidental, since they never asked in any of the previous 2 claims. Their assessment and application of the policy is not consistent (which you can prove). I would push them from a legal point of view.

Edited by GrahamS2

Irrespective of if the Canyon is weaker than other brands, surely they can't be expected to cover ANOTHER broken frame if you're not using it as it was intended to be used?  Riders sitting on the top tube over a regular SA road cannot be what was on the design brief when the bike was being drawn up. 

I fully agree with Canyon on this one.  I think you were lucky to get two frames from them with no questions asked, but they're not going to just keep sending new frames one after the other...

I dont want another Canyon frame because it might brake again. This post is in no way intended to squeeze another frame from Canyon free of charge. I'm done with Canyon. This was an informative post to make others aware. I also posted this to get insight into the issue because i got absolutely no information from Canyon.

And if their frames are not designed to be ridden on the top tube, fine. They can design a frame however they like. Just let people know. And if you so short cited that you designed your frame around one countries road surface then you dont deserve to sell the bike anywhere else .

This is why Quintana lost the tour last year when Froome attacked on his top tube, Froome knew Quintana would die if he tried to keep up! 

Hope they come to their senses and warranty it.

If not tweet Alex Dowsett/Valverde/Quitana/Kittel/Tony and ask them if their Canyon's also crack?

Or our very own Willie Smit.

And if their frames are not designed to be ridden on the top tube, fine. They can design a frame however they like. Just let people know. 

Logic says don't, that's not where the saddle is. 

I have a little strain gauge on my top tube, every time my gouche engages it registers pressure, just like the L/R read out on Stages. 

Wrong font.

I dont want another Canyon frame because it might brake again. This post is in no way intended to squeeze another frame from Canyon free of charge. I'm done with Canyon. This was an informative post to make others aware. I also posted this to get insight into the issue because i got absolutely no information from Canyon.

And if their frames are not designed to be ridden on the top tube, fine. They can design a frame however they like. Just let people know. And if you so short cited that you designed your frame around one countries road surface then you dont deserve to sell the bike anywhere else .

Agreed, its not like an industry norm, where nobody designs bikes like that. I would think their out was reasonable if other bikes broke like that when used in that way. 

I just dont like the "You freely admitted..." line they started off their email with...

To an extend I agree, and from a suppliers pov I would also be skeptical after the 3rd frame broke. But at the same time, it's rather concerning that they can claim the top tube is not strong enough when an aero-tuck is not exactly uncommon practice.

Edited by stefmeister

This is why Quintana lost the tour last year when Froome attacked on his top tube, Froome knew Quintana would die if he tried to keep up! 

Hope they come to their senses and warranty it.

If not tweet Alex Dowsett/Valverde/Quitana/Kittel/Tony and ask them if their Canyon's also crack?

No man, lets not resort to social media bullying for everything.

In think Rory has been rationa in how he has handled it, this would just void that all.

Edited by Patchelicious

Fair enough but surely I deserve a little more info after my massive email? 

I do feel your pain, Rory, as I love my roadie more than my left kidney.

What did the local service centres say, like JoC?

I am glad that the super tuck did not lead to total frame failure where you could've gotten really eina.