Makro Cannondale

Eugene

Update. Have done roughly 300km on the Makrodale and still going strong. This is a vicious bug that has bit me. Having great fun and enjoying the Rides. Next upgrade will be front suspension. Any other forum users riding this bike?

Done close to 1100k's on the Makrodale and lately it keeps breaking....

2 weeks ago broke 2 spokes (kerb jumping) 

1 week ago broke another spoke (kerb jumping)

Today jumped on a small BMX track back wheel buckled and ate the rear derailleur,

Every thing that broke was self inflicted and will not happen with a average sized rider.        I am a solid 136 Kgs in weight and no Game/Makro bike would last a month with a fat rider like me, I do ride hard and fast.

Further  I can not complain about the service/ride quality of the bike.

Future upgrades(Complaints)

1. Tubeless conversion (metal shaving in rims ate 2 tubes)

2. 2 x 11 gearing (3 x 9 to much overlapping battling to spin on uphills)

3. Front air suspension(damping is good but too bouncy always locked out)

Took my previous old faith full bike the other day for a ride and the Cannondale ride quality and ergonomics is spot on for the longer rides.

Regards

Edited by Nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's just a bit of a quest...I bought a momsen bike last year that I thought had a tapered steerer fork but the frames headtube is designed to look tapered and unfortunately the fork was straight steerer. I contacted many bike shops and eventually one managed to order me a RS Recon from the suppliers. Tapered is the more common standard now it would seem...not a Biggie but I thought when I bought the bike I would just simply upgrade the fork to something better when I knackered it up...!

I should add that it was a straight steerer 9mm QR fork and most forks now are also thru axle...

Done close to 1100k's on the Makrodale and lately it keeps breaking....

2 weeks ago broke 2 spokes (kerb jumping) 

1 week ago broke another spoke (kerb jumping)

Today jumped on a small BMX track back wheel buckled and ate the rear derailleur,

Every thing that broke was self inflicted and will not happen with a average sized rider.        I am a solid 136 Kgs in weight and no Game/Makro bike would last a month with a fat rider like me, I do ride hard and fast.

Further  I can not complain about the service/ride quality of the bike.

Future upgrades(Complaints)

1. Tubeless conversion (metal shaving in rims ate 2 tubes)

2. 2 x 11 gearing (3 x 9 to much overlapping battling to spin on uphills)

3. Front air suspension(damping is good but too bouncy always locked out)

Took my previous old faith full bike the other day for a ride and the Cannondale ride quality and ergonomics is spot on for the longer rides.

Regards

I think you might be out of the design spec on some of those components

BUT you are definitely out of the limits for racier bikes.

hope you keep at it!

• 6 months later...

this reminds me...don't think i ever posted picks of the wife's custom 'macrodale'. it started out as one of those khaki trail 5's. Has deore brakes on it now, nicer bars, saddle, stem, tires, slx m7000 11 speed groupset, custom paint (for her birthday) thanks to CBR and some understated graphics (something cannondale can never get right lol)

has seen plenty of happy kms to date. i agree the fork is next to go....it has worn out so fast it is a joke. K2C killed it. i opened it up and gave it a service-as far as one can service these and it has revived it a bit but it is time.

post-64325-0-62979600-1571898950_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-58869300-1571898963_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-00411600-1571899203_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

this reminds me...don't think i ever posted picks of the wife's custom 'macrodale'. it started out as one of those khaki trail 5's. Has deore brakes on it now, nicer bars, saddle, stem, tires, slx m7000 11 speed groupset, custom paint (for her birthday) thanks to CBR and some understated graphics (something cannondale can never get right lol)

has seen plenty of happy kms to date. i agree the fork is next to go....it has worn out so fast it is a joke. K2C killed it. i opened it up and gave it a service-as far as one can service these and it has revived it a bit but it is time.

That looks awesome, my missus has only ridden hers a handful of times! 

Nope. Makrodales were from 2015.

Can't see from pictures, but quite possibly the 2015 bikes sold in 2018 by Makro.

The trail 5“makrodale” was the 2016 cannondale trail 5. That i know for sure.

Those black ones in the advert are newer ones, I mentioned it somewhere in here, the inboard rear brake mount on those are post 2016

Wow, that looks amazing man. Where did you do the respray? Once you do the fork you can nickname the bike the "ship of theseus".

Wow, that looks amazing man. Where did you do the respray? Once you do the fork you can nickname the bike the "ship of theseus".

haha, sure is isn't it?...but i like having unique things....her makrodale just gave me another thing to customise....and of course...more reason to buy bike parts  :ph34r:. the parts that came off it went on another older bike so nothing wasted.

Got it painted at CBR durbanville in something a bit more 'palatable' for a female rider than khaki.

Turned out great although ill say that it isnt the best color to hide dirt and the od scratch here and there...pretty much like polished black in that regard. The pearlshift looks amazing though...depending on the weather and angle it is always one of 4 colors.

• 1 month later...

I'll take that xxl ... like hens teeth along with size 13 shoes and shirts with long enough arms for my orangutang body.

That's the best buy under 5k for sure if it's legit and if there's stock. I have seen a some of bike shops have great specials and you get there and it's only 1 XXL or no stock like 30 min after the sale starts....