Snakes in WC Spring Time

Grease_Monkey

There are many puffies and cobras out there. It is a good idea to have a plan of action when a bite occurs:

- you should know where to get anti-venom, save the phone number

- stay still if possible and send your riding buddies to get help, if you are alone you might have to move slowly or phone for help and stay still

- if you dont know what species bit you then take a photo of the snake so that they know what type of anti-venom is required

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seen a few molesnakes, last ones were Majik Forest and the other on BSpot at Bloemendal, basking in the sun. But they always move away as I approach. I'm dreading a cobra encounter

seen a few molesnakes, last ones were Majik Forest and the other on BSpot at Bloemendal, basking in the sun. But they always move away as I approach. I'm dreading a cobra encounter

Mole snake encounters seem to be quite common by the sounds of it, puffies too. Puffadders in general don't concern me too much since they will retreat before attacking. Same can be said for Cobras I guess, but from what I understand they are a bit more prone to strike than puffies and do so with less warning. Also seems like they are easily miataken for mole snakes since they are similar in size and colour.

Either way, thanks for all the info, numbers are saved on my phone, and mind put to ease (that is until my next encounter).

I guess I can chalk 2 encounters in a day up to it being the first propper summers day in a long time and they snakes are out for their first meals in a while.

Puffies are your main worry cos they're lazy and grumpy and like to lurk in the middle of gravel paths.

If yoou watch where you're going you'll be fine. You'll be surprised how high and how far you can bunnyhop when you see one.

I came across a big-ass cobra at Contermanskloof yesterday while ascending the bushvine climb. There was a ton of mustard seed and as I came around a switchback, which was a blind corner due to said mustard seed, the critter was lying directly in front of me. Nothing for it but to swerve right as he decided to slither off into the under growth. I think I pooped myself a bit, but to be fair, I suspect the cobra did the same.

This particular snake had a girth diameter of around 5-6 cm, and was approximately 1.3 - 1.5 meters in length. Last cobra I saw was also there around 3 years ago. I have seen plenty mole snakes as well, but yesterday was a cobra.

p.s. I did not feel the need to stop and take a picture. I felt the need for speed.

Puffies are your main worry cos they're lazy and grumpy and like to lurk in the middle of gravel paths.

If yoou watch where you're going you'll be fine. You'll be surprised how high and how far you can bunnyhop when you see one.

Haha fear and a skid mark in your underpants are a quick way to find out what you are truly capable of!

Like this bugger I nearly rode over at True Grit 2 years ago. Lying on the riding line, in a shadow, so I only saw it when I was nearly on top of it. No time to bunny hop, but did manage to swerve around it. It couldn't have been more than 10cm from it, but it still didn't try bite. Lucky though, because puffies are the fastest strikers.

I've also come across a puffy at Eden forest, also on the trail, but saw it from afar, so no issues there. But still, it doesn't bother me, I would rather take my chances with the odd snake on the trails than cars on the roads

post-62386-0-73832000-1538991767_thumb.jpg

Time to learn to bunny hop :)

I saw this guy on the R304 outside  Stellenbosch on Saturday. I'm guessing it's a mole snake or a house snake of some sort.

He was keen to cross the road (which is when I went past him). He then turned around and went back into the grass...

post-275-0-08423500-1538992664_thumb.png

And you'll be surprised how fast and high puffies can strike

My best was on the Hoogies Cobra. Came round the gnarliest left hander - the one with the double into it - and half way round I notice the glistening black head and beady eye of a Cape Cobra rearing up on my left - like 1m away or less. I rode on a few meters and then walked back to warn my wife. Snake was long gone. Probably more scared than I was...

My best was on the Hoogies Cobra. Came round the gnarliest left hander - the one with the double into it - and half way round I notice the glistening black head and beady eye of a Cape Cobra rearing up on my left - like 1m away or less. I rode on a few meters and then walked back to warn my wife. Snake was long gone. Probably more scared than I was...

Yoh - you really love your wife.  No way I would get off my bike and walk back...

My new plan is that if I am riding with a mate, I will always let him go first down the single track, because"you are faster and I want to follow your line". Then stay about 20 meters back, and take it easy while he faces the snakes.

My new plan is that if I am riding with a mate, I will always let him go first down the single track, because"you are faster and I want to follow your line". Then stay about 20 meters back, and take it easy while he faces the snakes.

That trick might backfire when he wakes up the sleeping snake, who is now pissed off, and it takes a shot at you 

Time to learn to bunny hop :)

You already know, you just need the right motivation...

And you'll be surprised how fast and high puffies can strike

This I know already. Fortunately from books, not from experience.

If it wants to bite you, it will.