Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

How you holding up ?

Thinking of you, and wishing for a good outcome !

Not doing real well at this stage. Depression is catching up to me. Went for a few interviews but that is as far as it goes. Never get any feedback after the guys hear the C word.

I have not been able to get on the spinning bike. The area where the pain is very bad is where the saddle contacts. So been a bit painful to get on the bike.

Tuesday is the start of the next session of Chemo.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Cois, sorry to hear about your cancer. The news is tough, I only recently received the same bad news - stage 3 melanoma, spreading to lymph nodes. It's been pretty hectic over the last 2 months; and now I have an autoimmune response affecting my eyes, just to complicate matters.

Regarding riding whilst sick... (my personal view)

Trying to maintain some normality (although it'll never be normal again for me) has been the best thing I can do to help me cope. I simply can't just sit around and hope. So, I've been trying to get on my bike as much as possible. I've done short rides, turbo trainer rides, multi-day bikepacking rides, trail runs, walks... as much as possible since being diagnosed. Hell, I've even entered the Silk Road Mountain Race in August, so have something to aim at, something to distract me, motivate me and keep me positive. (started writing about it in one of the BH forums)

Sometimes I can't ride (when it's dark I can't see very well) so I jump on the indoor trainer. I believe my body will tell me when I simply can't anymore, but until then I'm riding as much as possible. They say, being fit and healthy is good for recovery.

Good luck man, behind you all the way.

You are my inspiration!

The first two months was the worst. Not knowing what is ahead. And then having to struggle with hospital issues and knowing that things will not be the same.

I have one small issue, the sun. I can’t go into the sun. I have passed out due to the sun by just standing in the sun for a few minutes. So riding might be a problem if the sun is out.

I have to ask about your vision problem. I have noted a reduction of my sight with my glasses and contacts since starting chemo. The astigmatism has escalated to such an extent that I can’t watch TV or read books.

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a MRI Yesterday. Will know the results on Monday.

PSG Wealth (at Lynnwood Bridge) helped a lot during my illness. My wife works for them, and they helped to get us on a medical aid.

Moved over to a new oncologist at Wilgers Hospital. Doctor at Steve Biko told me I am not getting the correct treatment for my illness.

I knew the treatment that I got from Steve Biko was not the best. The symptom of the tumor just got worst. I have been for 4 chemo infusions. The last one knocked me on my arse. I have been hit hard by the last treatment.

And the lingering joblessness does not add anything positive to waking up every morning. I have a sort of part time job helping on of the companies that I worked for to do Apple Mac repairs and support. And helping some of the clients that they can’t support or do not have the capacity to support them. But not helping much as they underquote and labour tasks. (Quoted 1 and a half hours labour on a job that I had to drive to their office 3 times for and spent 6 hours on already)

Health wise things are okay. My wife is the greatest and helps me a lot with things that I can’t do anymore like getting things out the fridge and holding cold objects. She also supports me while my parents think I am nuts for vaping, eating and smoking weed in an attempt to kill the cancer cells inside of me.

I still can’t cycle. The tumor is located where the seat creates a lot of pressure and causes a not so lekker time on the bike. So still not able to get on the bike.

Went for a MRI Yesterday. Will know the results on Monday.

PSG Wealth (at Lynnwood Bridge) helped a lot during my illness. My wife works for them, and they helped to get us on a medical aid.

Moved over to a new oncologist at Wilgers Hospital. Doctor at Steve Biko told me I am not getting the correct treatment for my illness.

I knew the treatment that I got from Steve Biko was not the best. The symptom of the tumor just got worst. I have been for 4 chemo infusions. The last one knocked me on my arse. I have been hit hard by the last treatment.

And the lingering joblessness does not add anything positive to waking up every morning. I have a sort of part time job helping on of the companies that I worked for to do Apple Mac repairs and support. And helping some of the clients that they can’t support or do not have the capacity to support them. But not helping much as they underquote and labour tasks. (Quoted 1 and a half hours labour on a job that I had to drive to their office 3 times for and spent 6 hours on already)

Health wise things are okay. My wife is the greatest and helps me a lot with things that I can’t do anymore like getting things out the fridge and holding cold objects. She also supports me while my parents think I am nuts for vaping, eating and smoking weed in an attempt to kill the cancer cells inside of me.

I still can’t cycle. The tumor is located where the seat creates a lot of pressure and causes a not so lekker time on the bike. So still not able to get on the bike.

Hi Cois, my wife was at Wilgers with Dr Bouwer. That is a very good unit, you are in good hands there.

All the best, my thoughts are really with you. keep your spirits up.........

Just got back from Doctors office.

Sounds like the 14cm tumor has shrunk down to 10cm.

They can’t find a trace of cancer in my blood, and that freaked the Dr out a bit, as we can see the tumor he “touched” the tumor but my bloodwork came out clean

He is taking me off the Oxyplatin due to the effects I am having (I can’t write my name anymore and fine motor skills are shot) and will get a port for the chemo pump, so no more chemo pills. The chemo pump will just be an adjustment to get used to.

The doctor just needs one more bloodwork up for genetics. That will take about 2 weeks to get the results

Hi Cois, my wife was at Wilgers with Dr Bouwer. That is a very good unit, you are in good hands there.

All the best, my thoughts are really with you. keep your spirits up.........

That is great news. Glad we made the move. Waiting from 06h00 to 12h00 to see a doctor is not much fun.

They can’t find a trace of cancer in my blood, and that freaked the Dr out a bit, as we can see the tumor he “touched” the tumor but my bloodwork came out clean

He is taking me off the Oxyplatin due to the effects I am having (I can’t write my name anymore and fine motor skills are shot) and will get a port for the chemo pump, so no more chemo pills. The chemo pump will just be an adjustment to get used to.

The doctor just needs one more bloodwork up for genetics. That will take about 2 weeks to get the results

Something must have been going right to shrink the tumour - it was time for some good news. Also glad you got the medical aid sorted - that's a huge relief. Hope the rest of the journey brings more good news.

So glad to hear some positive news Cois.