Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawyer friend phoned last night.

She says the correct procedure was not followed.  So just need to send her the information that I have, and she will handle the case pro bono. 

Edited by Cois

Lawyer friend phoned last night.

She says the correct procedure was not followed.  So just need to send her the information that I have, and she will handle the case pro bono. 

I am sorry to hear about this but yes, try and fight it. Won't help to keep the job but you may get some compensation.

Lawyer friend phoned last night.

She says the correct procedure was not followed. So just need to send her the information that I have, and she will handle the case pro bono.

Retrenchment process takes long.. my husband had to retrench some of his staff a while ago and it took more than 4 months to negotiate it.. .. it is a long process with a LOT of red tape.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Retrenchment process takes long.. my husband had to retrench some of his staff a while ago and it took more than 4 months to negotiate it.. .. it is a long process with a LOT of red tape.

If there is proof that he was retrenched because of his illness it gets even more complicated. Thats not the correct procedure at all, if incapacity is in play you need to board. Good thing to get a lawyer involved.

Not sure if retrenchment is still the same. I remember some years back that retrenchements were only allowed if the position you work is no longer needed. Meaning they cant retrench you and then hire someone else for the same job.

Not sure if retrenchment is still the same. I remember some years back that retrenchements were only allowed if the position you work is no longer needed. Meaning they cant retrench you and then hire someone else for the same job.

I also heard that they retrench and then change the job title, then re-employ someone else....how true that is i really don't know??

It does suck yes! Sorry to hear that, is this not a blessing in disguise? I mean your biggest focus point now needs to be beating the big C  :D

If it was me, I would take what I can get (within reason that is) and then walk away. You honestly do not need additional distractions and stress on top of everything else 

Cheers

Just wondering, did the company know you have cancer?

Yes they knew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Less than a week.

And this guy I am working for drives a Porsche and has load of $$$.

He does not give a hoot. In his words “you can’t bring emotion into deciding who stays”

They will just change the title of the job.

But as said, it might be a blessing, but now to get another job with cancer is not going to be easy.

Had 3 calls and all ended when I mentioned cancer. At this stage it feels like I am toxic and no company or person will hire me. And I can still do my job. I still go into the office every day, and do my job.

Less than a week.

He does not give a hoot. In his words “you can’t bring emotion into deciding who stays”

But as said, it might be a blessing, but now to get another job with cancer is not going to be easy.

Had 3 calls and all ended when I mentioned cancer. At this stage it feels like I am toxic and no company or person will hire me. And I can still do my job. I still go into the office every day, and do my job.

What your specialty?Maybe some of us can use you consulting/contract bases..

Less than a week.

If you are up to it and as you said you have free legal assistance then you should take it to the CCMA.

It is not just about saying a position is no longer needed, or changing job titles, amongst other things they also have to show financials to justify retrenchment and this would be audited to ensure that they aren't pulling a fast one..like I said a lot of red tape is involved when companies retrench. How many of you have been retrenched?

Hubby just confirmed that their whole process took 6 months.. yes added unions were involved which also stalled for 3 of those months..

Edited by Gen

Is getting placed on Temp / Permanent Disability at work an option for you?