Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Think the one word that got to me in all this was that the treatment is non curative. But I know that I can be healed, but still not nice to see that after spending R350000 it is not to cure but to hinder the spread of cancer

'Atta boy! 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Followed this from the first post. I’m sorry my friend but your positivity is a true inspiration.

My mom was recently diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer at age 69.

I feel for you. Keep up the fight.

Followed this from the first post. I’m sorry my friend but your positivity is a true inspiration.

My mom was recently diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer at age 69.

I feel for you. Keep up the fight.

I must say this cancer thing is starting to piss me off. Billions of dollars and rands are pushed into aids studies. Aids have only been doing rounds since the early 80’s.

Cancer also gets a lot of funding, but for a disease that has been around way longer than AIDS it just baffles my mind why CANCER has not been eradicated yet. But can only guess that HIV is where the money is at.

I hope your mom can recover soon Maxxis. Best of luck as I have seen what bone cancer can do, and must be one of the worst cancers around.

Thank you.

The old saying is “there is no money in the cure, only the treatment”. This is why I hate the world and what it’s become. Greed.

Her cancer starts around the femur and is up to the middle of the spine from what the MRI shows. More test are needed to see if it’s into the lungs.

Part saving grace is that she stopped smoking a month ago and uses the CBD and THC combo for pain management to sleep.

She starts radiation soon to see what they can do in terms of managing it. She was basically told they can’t cure or operate due to the extent of the spread.

Just got home from chemo. Feeling a bit shaken. Was a real struggle keeping awake during treatment.

Took my beta blocker this morning. Got a prescription for iron pills. Blood count is good, but my platelets are very small and thus getting short of breath just going up a single flight of stairs.

At least I have a older gentleman from Bronkhorstspruit that I know (same diagnosis) that I can chat with during treatment. Just sad to see the same faces every week.

Hi Cois.  I just read this entire thread since it was started nearly 6 months ago and in my heart I am reaching out to you this evening with much thought and prayer.  

I will follow this thread every step and must say that I take my hat off to a warrior like you.

Dude, let me know if you need someone to talk to or have place in your life for another person to be a friend -  I am from Centurion (not far) and will gladly come through to meet you and have a chat or drive you somewhere if needed.  

Anton

Just got home from chemo. Feeling a bit shaken. Was a real struggle keeping awake during treatment.

Took my beta blocker this morning. Got a prescription for iron pills. Blood count is good, but my platelets are very small and thus getting short of breath just going up a single flight of stairs.

At least I have a older gentleman from Bronkhorstspruit that I know (same diagnosis) that I can chat with during treatment. Just sad to see the same faces every week.

Also staying in Centurion. Hit me up and will gladly assist. Even if it is just for a chat.

Edited by Fred van Vlaanderen

Keep positive Cois. (seems you have that under wraps)

Have you thought about motivational speaking?

When I am cured I will do. And can just as well. I have a huge testimony. Just the amount of prayers that we had answered in the past 8 months.

From a Pro Bono CT scan to a medical aid without exclusion. And getting fast tracked for a oncology appointment at Steve Biko as well as a fast tracked surgery consult.

There is a lot that G-d did for us and is still doing for us. We can only thank our friends and G-d for the mercy and love that we have received.

At every turn where we saw a road block, we were jousted into another direction. Some things are very difficult to comprehend, like losing my job and not being able to go to the department of labour to claim UIF due to medical difficulties, but I can only trust in G-d at this stage as the system is flawed and in most cases (like uFiling) is a total waste and it does not work like most systems screwed up by the ANC.

And I must thank each and every person for their prayers and helping me in the difficult time.

And I want to send a shout out for Pierre from Ecologics (https://www.ecologic.co.za) He is a real friend where family and friends disappeared in the woodworks after I was diagnosed.

He was the only person who went with us to Steve Biko while I waited for a bed. The messages that I received from him that was needed when I struggled with suicidal thoughts, even thought we kept it quite.

He was a pillar for my wife and I know the man is praying for us all the time and I must thank Pierre for all his help during this time.

So a huge shoutout to Pierre and everyone on the forum for your support. It means a lot to me and to my other pillar, my wife.

One thing that is getting to me is the inability to cycle.

I think it is time to get on the spinning bike as I am losing a lot of muscle mass. Tomorrow I will be at the hospital again to get sutures removed from the port site.

And one thing I must say of cancer warriors, we support each other. It is weird, but we see each other every second week, and just the positivity among the warriors are infectious. Cansa asked me where I wanted to die. At a hospice or at my folks in Bronkhorstspruit. And the only reply I could think of was f-you for asking me that question.

Yes the paper work says there is no cure for stage 4 cancer, but I say F-you to everyone saying that there is no cure.

Just the hopelessness that people like them are spreading is a killer, killer of hope and stealers of any future outlook.

And got some other great news, the medical aid approved another treatment protocol today. So it is more targeted and will be the third item on the treatment list to kill this cancer in me.

Edited by Cois