Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

Had a consult with the new oncologist today.

He is going to request a test of the immunotherapy that he wants to start me on. So we will know if cancer will react to the therapy before we start with it. He has a plan B in place if it does not work.

At least the doctor said that if the medical aid does not cover the therapy there are alternative options.

So it is not like the other oncologist that ruined our finances.

One thing is that the doctor thinks of his patients. He was worried about my pain levels (I am still very tender where the surgery took place) and said I was not going to get a gold star for living in pain.

Will know next week what the results of the new therapy was, and will then know the path forward.

Hi Cois

Hope you are feeling ok. Not sure who your new oncologist is. But Immunotherapy is grounbreaking. Do some research.

I was diagnosed with Lymphoma 2 years back. Luckily caught it early. My doctor suggested immunotherapy.

A lot less invasive, and without the side effects of chemo etc. A lot of fatigue on day of treatment and next day, but other than that was good.

All I can say is it worked for me. I have been clear for over a year now. Not sure how effective for everyone, and for different stages of cancer.

I was fortunate to get into a clinical trial for a new drug that was being tested for final board approval as well.

Stay positive.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am utterly devastated. Received a call from the oncologist that I am not a candidate for the immunotherapy.

He wants to do a genetic panel on my tumors to see if they will react to anything.

Only problem... R20000 for the test. So now it is a hope and a prayer that Momentum will pay for the test

I am utterly devastated. Received a call from the oncologist that I am not a candidate for the immunotherapy.

He wants to do a genetic panel on my tumors to see if they will react to anything.

Only problem... R20000 for the test. So now it is a hope and a prayer that Momentum will pay for the test

I've been following this thread and am still rooting for you to pull through all this nonsense!

If you/someone will setup a backabuddy page - I'm prepared to donate R1000 towards the test... I'm certain between the gang here, we can come up with the balance if Momentum don't pay

I've been following this thread and am still rooting for you to pull through all this nonsense!

If you/someone will setup a backabuddy page - I'm prepared to donate R1000 towards the test... I'm certain between the gang here, we can come up with the balance if Momentum don't pay

Thanks Muttley

The link I think is on the first page.

But I think we can wait for Momentum. The guys and gils of BikeHub has been a tremendous help and they saved my life numerous times with their donations

Sorry to hear, I really am.

Let’s hope that you get some good news soon.

Hey Cois, thats not good news but it also had no guarantee's of efficacy so keep your chin up.

We did the genetic testing, for us it was R40k, sent to Europe for analysis. It is a great tool though, really helps to pinpoint a decent treatment route.

Hey Cois, thats not good news but it also had no guarantee's of efficacy so keep your chin up.

We did the genetic testing, for us it was R40k, sent to Europe for analysis. It is a great tool though, really helps to pinpoint a decent treatment route.

I and the SO talked about it last night.

We will have the tests doen.

According to the Oncologist, this is a new lab that opened in Midrand. They can now do all the tests here in SA.

I hope that I might qualify for a trail. Not only because of the lower cost but also for being able to assist in a product that might save other cancer warriors.

I and the SO talked about it last night.

We will have the tests doen.

According to the Oncologist, this is a new lab that opened in Midrand. They can now do all the tests here in SA.

I hope that I might qualify for a trail. Not only because of the lower cost but also for being able to assist in a product that might save other cancer warriors.

That's great news, that this can be done locally now.

Please share the name of the lab, if you know or find out.

Best of luck, thanks for all the updates.

Being admitted to hospital. Woke up with chest pains and severe abdominal pain at 02h00.

Went to the office and it got worst. Called the doctor and went to see him. It might be fluid on my lungs but will do a few tests.

So have yet another covid test to do as they are afraid that I might have covid as well. The doctor does not want me to leave the hospital today because I could get better or I could take a turn for the worst.

Being admitted to hospital. Woke up with chest pains and severe abdominal pain at 02h00.

Went to the office and it got worst. Called the doctor and went to see him. It might be fluid on my lungs but will do a few tests.

So have yet another covid test to do as they are afraid that I might have covid as well. The doctor does not want me to leave the hospital today because I could get better or I could take a turn for the worst.

So sorry to hear and hope  you get better soon.

Ah no, sorry to hear.

Strength to you, and hopefully you feel better soon.