Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One also learns to camp over the front forks a bit more and be very light on the pedals.

I actually struggled to ride a dual suss trail bike effectively after having spent 5 years on various trail edition hardtails.

Such a different experience. Speed comes from being smooth, light and efficient while on a tank speed comes from having balls big enough to keep your fingers off the coward levers and trust the bike.

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

+100. That needed to be said. Not everyone wants to suffer unnecessarily ;)

One also learns to camp over the front forks a bit more and be very light on the pedals.

I actually struggled to ride a dual suss trail bike effectively after having spent 5 years on various trail edition hardtails.

Such a different experience. Speed comes from being smooth, light and efficient while on a tank speed comes from having balls big enough to keep your fingers off the coward levers and trust the bike.

Spot on. The fork works harder and unweighting and catching air over the rough stuff can make things much smoother. On jumps and drops I tend to let the front wheel take the landing a bit more too rather going back wheel first.

OK... so I took the Vitus VRX 29er for it's maiden voyage yesterday.

Due to the waves absolutely cooking in the cape, I decided the Tokai dust bowl would do the job.

I haven't put it on the scale, but it doesn't feel super heavy. I would guess around 13.5kg.

I have an X-Fusion 150mm trace on it. It sits at 543mm a-c, so I would suggest the shorter forks tilt the bike forward about a degree.

I was a bit apprehensive about how this thing was going to feel climbing up to Cobra for a warm up skip... It flew! It is so pedallable. My mind was blown. It is so lively I even got out the saddle and punched into the rocks for a bit of boost while climbing Boulders.

On the jeep track it felt planted and not once did I get anywhere near my granny gear. It kept shouting 'faster faster!'...

Cobra turned into all the snakes. I climbed back up, did a little tweaking and went cobra, Enduro then DH.

Then climbed back up for another run and managed to pinch flat right on the bead after burping the tire while absolutely hooning. (Trying to use Enduro bro words.. I'm not quite ready to embrace Gnar and ready to shreddy).

I was looking forward to hitting the jumps on Vasbyt but I had absolutely ruined the back tire.

I love this bike. It beats the pants off anything I have ever ridden. If I compare it to my old Tranny Smuggler it isn't even on the same page (climbing or descending).

1 or 2 questions for you tech junkies....

1. Replacement back tire. Maxxis DD Aggressor 29x2.5? Otherwise who stocks WTB in Cape Town?

2. The RockShox delux rct3 set at 30% sag seemed to blow through its suspension a bit. Is this a general thing or should I fiddle (not with myself) a bit more before I start adding tokens? To me it feels like 2 tokens would add a bit of 'depth' to the progression. 

3. Do the cSixx tire liner things actually work? I have a bunch at home and keep forgetting to put them in. Yesterday Is the 1st time I wished I had BUT then I think with a bike like this, speeds and small errors will be amplified.

Anyway, if no one reads my 1st ride report (because I'm a kook) will you please read the questions? Rad...

Edited by Jewbacca

Due to the waves absolutely cooking in the cape, I decided the Tokai dust bowl would do the job.

I haven't put it on the scale, but it doesn't feel super heavy. I would guess around 13.5kg.

I have an X-Fusion 150mm trace on it. It sits at 543mm a-c, so I would suggest the shorter forks tilt the bike forward about a degree.

I was a bit apprehensive about how this thing was going to feel climbing up to Cobra for a warm up skip... It flew! It is so pedallable. My mind was blown. It is so lively I even got out the saddle and punched into the rocks for a bit of boost while climbing Boulders.

On the jeep track it felt planted and not once did I get anywhere near my granny gear. It kept shouting 'faster faster!'...

Cobra turned into all the snakes. I climbed back up, did a little tweaking and went cobra, Enduro then DH.

Then climbed back up for another run and managed to pinch flat right on the bead after burping the tire while absolutely hooning. (Trying to use Enduro bro words.. I'm not quite ready to embrace Gnar and ready to shreddy).

I was looking forward to hitting the jumps on Vasbyt but I had absolutely ruined the back tire.

I love this bike. It beats the pants off anything I have ever ridden. If I compare it to my old Tranny Smuggler it isn't even on the same page (climbing or descending).

1. Replacement back tire. Maxxis DD Aggressor 29x2.5? Otherwise who stocks WTB in Cape Town?

2. The RockShox delux rct3 set at 30% sag seemed to blow through its suspension a bit. Is this a general thing or should I fiddle (not with myself) a bit more before I start adding tokens? To me it feels like 2 tokens would add a bit of 'depth' to the progression. 

3. Do the cSixx tire liner things actually work? I have a bunch at home and keep forgetting to put them in. Yesterday Is the 1st time I wished I had BUT then I think with a bike like this, speeds and small errors will be amplified.

Anyway, if no one reads my 1st ride report (because I'm a kook) will you please read the questions? Rad...

You sound well stoked :) 

I haven't had a bunch of modern enduro /trail bikes like a bunch of the guys but I did recently go from a 110R/120Fmm bike to a 135R/140F.  The confidence it adds is mind blowing. I'm loving it. and As you said, I typically blast into hairy sections hot and the wheels and skin ends up paying the price. I've actually gone over to a convertible full-face lid, Im a father and ever so slightly more responsible now:)

Amazing how well the Vitus seems to climb!? To me the biggest drawback is the high front, when things get steep. 

Attempting to answer some q's..

1. Maxxis, most online shops stock them. Trailboss, I havent seen anything wider then 2.3's in SA, Dont discount some of the faster rolling semislick type tyres that still corner well, If you're not riding wet much, they roll unbelievably well. 

2. 30% sag.. Cant tell, what do you weigh? I took my volume spacer out, I'm only 72kg's kitted though. So If you're heavier, perhaps you should try it?

3. Cant tell, but If you burped the rear you might have been running to little pressure? I cant get myself to run those things since they do make your wheels feel I've been naughty/lazy to check my pressures of late and have been awarded with some dings, front and rear.. I ride about 27 PSI front and 30 Rear but that is very weight dependent.

Listening to some WC circuit Mech's on the Downtime Podcast, they say how they typically increase the tire pressure as the rider gets closer to race day. Since the speeds increase. This makes sense. It all depends at what speed you're hitting the rocks.

You sound well stoked :)

I haven't had a bunch of modern enduro /trail bikes like a bunch of the guys but I did recently go from a 110R/120Fmm bike to a 135R/140F.  The confidence it adds is mind blowing. I'm loving it. and As you said, I typically blast into hairy sections hot and the wheels and skin ends up paying the price. I've actually gone over to a convertible full-face lid, Im a father and ever so slightly more responsible now:)

Amazing how well the Vitus seems to climb!? To me the biggest drawback is the high front, when things get steep. 

Attempting to answer some q's..

1. Maxxis, most online shops stock them. Trailboss, I havent seen anything wider then 2.3's in SA, Dont discount some of the faster rolling semislick type tyres that still corner well, If you're not riding wet much, they roll unbelievably well. 

2. 30% sag.. Cant tell, what do you weigh? I took my volume spacer out, I'm only 72kg's kitted though. So If you're heavier, perhaps you should try it?

3. Cant tell, but If you burped the rear you might have been running to little pressure? I cant get myself to run those things since they do make your wheels feel I've been naughty/lazy to check my pressures of late and have been awarded with some dings, front and rear.. I ride about 27 PSI front and 30 Rear but that is very weight dependent.

Listening to some WC circuit Mech's on the Downtime Podcast, they say how they typically increase the tire pressure as the rider gets closer to race day. Since the speeds increase. This makes sense. It all depends at what speed you're hitting the rocks.

Hey Bos

Thanks for the reply. I can get the Aggressor from EvoBikes. Just wondering if anyone had given it some trail time and if it was a better option than the DHR 2.

I was running the rear at 1.7 bar. I'm currently a bit more hefty than usual after a lazy couple of months post AR world champs, so hitting the 82kg mark which will go down as my training for the MacMac hundred miler kicks into gear this week.

For me it's not the confidence, it's the speed! 

Doubledown aggressor 2.5 is cool. Definitely not Exo!

Put one or 2 bands in the shock. Test. See what happens (should be more progressive and prevent going through the travel too fast)

Foamo. Meh. Taken mine out.

Myles, you reckon 'Meh'? I always thought so too.

Rad, I will order the DD Aggressor. I will have to come and race you endurobros soon!

Not a fan of the foamo things... They not supposed to absorb the sealant but newsflash they still do, I ditched them and run my pressures a bit harder but apparently I weigh less than a fart. Rather invest in cushcore, I say invest because they are pricey but you can reuse them.

Spend the cash once!

Hey Bos

Thanks for the reply. I can get the Aggressor from EvoBikes. Just wondering if anyone had given it some trail time and if it was a better option than the DHR 2.

I was running the rear at 1.7 bar. I'm currently a bit more hefty than usual after a lazy couple of months post AR world champs, so hitting the 82kg mark which will go down as my training for the MacMac hundred miler kicks into gear this week.

For me it's not the confidence, it's the speed! 

Myles, you reckon 'Meh'? I always thought so too.

Rad, I will order the DD Aggressor. I will have to come and race you endurobros soon!

Yeah, IMO strong casings & proper pressure >>>>>> inserts. Same weight at the end of the day as well. 

The 2.5 aggressor is a lekker tyre. Haven't run it at the back yet, but wouldn't mind trying when the time comes. Have had reports of it being better than a DHR for the rear. If I don't just move my mary to the back when she's finished her duties up front. 

As for riding with us endurbros - you're still gonna blitz us, man. :P