What do you look for in a bike shop?

Jimmy 2.0

Hi hubbers.

Out of interest what do you guys look for/want in a bike shop? Mines always been a nice neat workshop with friendly staff, maybe even a spot to have a cup of coffee.

Edited by Jimmy 2.0

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowledgable staff .... not much help when I know more than the casuals on the floor .....

It is impossible to stock all bikes, so perv at what is on show.  When I do buy it is normally a 5 minute event, because I already spent time in the shops and know what I want on the day of the purchase ... which also means I am not averse to ordering a bike if a good store can source it in a few days.

Cycling clothing is certainly a nice to have.  Sadly we have to drive to the platteland to get to shops that have clothes for the 7 year old.

I am a tool-a-holic .... so those shelves are bad for my wallet ....  :drool:   :whistling:

most of all .... NICE to be able to talk to a knowledgable person !!

I LOVE it when Mark drags out the boxes and scrounges for those old spares to help me with a project.  :thumbup:   :clap:

For:

• Friendly and knowledgeable staff
  • Competitive pricing
  • Free coffee I can buy (so I can walk around shopping for things I don't need)
  • Well-stocked showroom
  • Flexibility
  • Good service (when buying something, when fixing something)

(Have experienced the above)

Against:

• Arrogant owner/staff
  • Terrible service related not not knowing what on earth he/she was doing
  • ... berates other (regional) bike shops
  • Little stock, little choice

(Have experienced this too, have moved along)

Edited by tinmug

... if I can add one more thing: what Nils has also rates highly for me. Apart from the workshop being a living bicycle museum (amongst other things  :w00t: ), Nils and company is friendly always eager to help and accommodating. Just a good experience going there. 

Only assistance if I cocked up trying to fix something on my own  :lol:. A bike shop normally falls in the same category as going to the bank - a grudge purchase  :eek:.

But, if I do go there for no emergency reason then knowledge is one of the most important factors. 

Edited by RobertWhitehead

East city cycles have been PHENOMENAL

back when Action Cycling was still in town, they had the only 3 people I trusted to touch my downhill bike.  One of those 3 is at ECC.

The value of a bike wrench that knows his/her stuff, is humble and friendly, is invaluable.

and there's some cool eateries/coffee bars as neighboring businesses.

My new bike ???? sms received today

Lieber Kunde, deine Bestellung ist abholbereit. Lg welcome cycles (Bitte nicht auf diese Nummer antworten, danke!)

Edited by SwissVan

Let's have a look at what the 'average' hubber wants from a bike shop, gleaned after many years of participation here....

Free coffee

Perfect service every time (how many can say they provide that themselves in their own job?)

Prices below whatever the item is priced at online local or international

To be able to walk in and have their bike repaired immediately or at least when it suits them (i.e tomorrow in the worst case)

The shop to stock every possible item in every possible size and option

Discount on every purchase even if it's the first time and the item is only a few ZA rondts

Did I say free coffee?

I could go on a bit but I'm sure you get my drift ....

Personally I want someone who is friendly, helpful, knowledgable but doesn't have to be a walking bike encyclopaedia, feedback if I am waiting for something or have something in for repair

I'll pay for coffee if they have some decent coffee

Let's have a look at what the 'average' hubber wants from a bike shop, gleaned after many years of participation here....

Free coffee

Perfect service every time (how many can say they provide that themselves in their own job?)

Prices below whatever the item is priced at online local or international

To be able to walk in and have their bike repaired immediately or at least when it suits them (i.e tomorrow in the worst case)

The shop to stock every possible item in every possible size and option

Discount on every purchase even if it's the first time and the item is only a few ZA rondts

Did I say free coffee?

I could go on a bit but I'm sure you get my drift ....

Personally I want someone who is friendly, helpful, knowledgable but doesn't have to be a walking bike encyclopaedia, feedback if I am waiting for something or have something in for repair

I'll pay for coffee if they have some decent coffee

staff that KNOW what they are talking about