To the guy on marine drive @ lagoon beach @ 5.30am this morning

trasver

I was driving into Cape Town this morning and drove past a guy on the road going down the hill opposite lagoon beach. I’m just posting this on the off chance he reads it to implore him not to become another statistic.

1) you had a blue flashing light on the back but you were pretty much invisible - I only saw you as I came within about 10 meters of you - not enough if someone is speeding/on their phone.

2) there is no yellow line/hard shoulder there - however there is a perfectly good bike lane on the lagoon side of the road - please use it.

I’m not into posting stuff just to moan and troll - I’ve seen a cyclist after being crushed to death by a vehicle - your actions were setting you up for that to happen to you. If you see this please please don’t become a white bike.

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I passed a few guys at 05h00 this morning. They might just as well have been invisible. Dark clothing, and not a light in sight. 

I was on my bike, and heard them before I saw them.

Can we please stop with all these Dear John letters? Seems like every second thread lately has been an open letter of sorts. If you have a problem with someone stop them and speak to them. If they don't wanna stop and engage with you or flips the bird at you they probably won't give two hoots about anything you write on BikeHub either.

Make the Hub great again!

Can we please stop with all these Dear John letters? Seems like every second thread lately has been an open letter of sorts. If you have a problem with someone stop them and speak to them. If they don't wanna stop and engage with you or flips the bird at you they probably won't give two hoots about anything you write on BikeHub either.

So I'm not an overly regular poster/reader of the hub and so amn't aware of all the letters John has been getting!

I'd have loved to have stopped to chat with him but wasn't able to.  I'm more than happy to point it out in person too - In fact I was called a "f***king Irish c**t" on my ride today when I pointed out to someone how they nearly ran over a pedestrian shooting through the zebra crossing that myself and a car were stopped at - that gave me a good laugh  :w00t:

Good point - if they don't care in person they may not care on the internet.

However, if my "Dear John" makes one person thinks twice then I've no problem that I posted it.  What I witnessed a few years ago has burned into my brain and I would hate anyone else to have to witness it or a family to see what I saw.  

Yay for Christmas trees!

Yes please. Stop being such a pussy and ranting on social media. It's as bad as the old pensioners writing/complaining in local news papers.

Yes please. Stop being such a pussy and ranting on social media. It's as bad as the old pensioners writing/complaining in local news papers.

But, but... isn't that what 80% of hub discussions are...ranting about something?

What will I do to pass the 8 hours I need to look productive behind my desk?

BTW. Yay for Christmass tree cyclists!

Well, all the complaining does reach people. It also makes newbies aware of what is not on.

Like earlier on my way into work, a roadie, all kitted, standing and sprinting in the opp direction in lower main road, not in the cycle in lane which was mere cm next  to him. Why do this ?

you do realise this rider is a profesional amateur and he / she was training on the road as the cycle lanes only slow you down and ruin your average training speed!

(Comic sans font on)

I was driving into Cape Town this morning and drove past a guy on the road going down the hill opposite lagoon beach. I’m just posting this on the off chance he reads it to implore him not to become another statistic.

1) you had a blue flashing light on the back but you were pretty much invisible - I only saw you as I came within about 10 meters of you - not enough if someone is speeding/on their phone.

2) there is no yellow line/hard shoulder there - however there is a perfectly good bike lane on the lagoon side of the road - please use it.

I’m not into posting stuff just to moan and troll - I’ve seen a cyclist after being crushed to death by a vehicle - your actions were setting you up for that to happen to you. If you see this please please don’t become a white bike.

Thanks

In person or on the hub I say post what you see and feel it important to point out to other cyclists and road users.

People are getting killed and horribly injured because of our poor road behaviour and the more we hold each other accountable in whatever fora our community uses the better.

I did address "my bunch", and I could see they took affront to it.

But I did tell them that lights are not that expensive, and it just might prevent them from becoming statistics. All very friendly / conversational and not aggressive at all.

I then sprinted past them, so that they could see my "xmas tree" as I went up the road. (1 x flashing red light on back of helmet, 1 x flashing red light on seat tube. Both very visible and very bright) 

Hopefully it registered with at least one or two of them.

I passed a few guys at 05h00 this morning. They might just as well have been invisible. Dark clothing, and not a light in sight.

I was on my bike, and heard them before I saw them.

See that all the time.

Death slows you more than a few lights on your bike ever will